Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the opinionated negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Cali 1400 Touring Air Deflectors ... Do they work?

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Sleekmachine, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Sleekmachine

Sleekmachine Just got it firing!

Hi all -

I'm looking for someone who installed the air deflectors (see pic attached) from Guzzi on his (hers) bike... Do they work? I'm curious to know more about their effectiveness before paying 100+ USD for a pair.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. wissing

wissing Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I would say yes. In my case (6.1/32" inseam) they have reduced buffeting significantly. To reduce buffeting, I first allowed more air flow on the inside of the wind shield by inserting spacers at the lower mounting points of the wind shield. Worked pretty well but not perfect. I then added the lowers and they changed the flow but it was not really an improvement together with the spacers. I then removed the spacers and kept the lowers, and it works well.
    See more on ther subject here https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/touring-windshield-turbulence.12181/

3. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I first added a Laminar Lip, which reduced the head rattling turbulence I experienced significantly, but had the effect of pulling me towards the screen, into a lower pressure area. I added the lowers and this effect disappeared. The combined effect is quite comfortable. I have no experience of the lowers only.

Stephen

4. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

They absolutely work. Most people don't realize that the buffeting they get with a windshield is caused by air coming up under the windshield. The lowers help to prevent that airflow.

That said, your results may vary. But, I don't think you will be disappointed.

5. Clayton Sietsema

Clayton Sietsema Cruisin' Guzzisti

The were the best single investment so far on the bike.

6. George_S

George_S Just got it firing!

I'm the second owner and the p/o had them installed. He said he had the head buffeting and the lowers completely cured that. With the snow here I haven't ridden in a while, and have yet to be on the open highway to see how I feel, but I think I'll be pleased.

I have to admit that I'd be one of those guys that didn't realize to solve the buffeting issue I'd have to address the air flow that was coming UP from UNDER the windshield.

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I have to admit that I always thought it was the opposite. That is, it is the lack of air behind the windshield that produces a vortex that can be minimised by encouraging air to come up from below the windshield. Tilting the windshield back allowing air to flow under actually improves the situation.

Personally, I think all windshields are evil, and the MG flyscreen is the largest screen I ever want to use.

8. Sleekmachine

Thank you all for your replies!

9. Touringman

Touringman Cruisin' Guzzisti

What Clayton said...
    in point of fact they are so effective that I remove them to ride in the summer. Yes, the buffeting increases but so does the flow of cooling air to the rider....

kdirtrider likes this.
  10. CaliVic

CaliVic Just got it firing!

They certainly do work. Big difference is they block out the airflow onto the chest area during cold weather riding but also should be off for hot weather riding. I made my own set, as I was reluctant to pay $250.00 (au dollars) for some thing that may not work. They do stop the head buffeting.
    P1020466.JPG

11. Perk5560

Perk5560 Tuned and Synch'ed

Total agreement, they do make a significant difference in the head buffeting.
    I also noticed in your photo that the brackets for your deflectors appear to be chrome. Mine are painted black. Was that an option that I overlooked when I ordered mine?

Thanks,

Dave

12. Sleekmachine

Mine came in black =)

13. Clayton Sietsema

Clayton Sietsema Cruisin' Guzzisti

CaliVic made is out of stainless. I think this guy could make anything, I'm so jealous. You ought to see the trailer hitch he made.

14. Dan Dicker

Dan Dicker Just got it firing!

I just installed these and they solved the buffeting problem (which was really bad) by 80%. Big win for $120...........

Also send a nice stream of air around the chest and shoulders from underneath, a welcome relief in the summer. very high value upgrade.

15. Derek Wiltshire

Derek Wiltshire Just got it firing!

Have just fitted the Guzzi screen lowers.
    They have made a big difference.
    I am 5' 9" with inside leg of 31"

16. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Initially I fitted the lower deflectors and found a significant improvement. I have since fitted a Laminar Lip, parallel with the top of the Touring screen and would say for me (5' 10" and inside leg 31") the buffeting has all but been eliminated although there has been an increase in wind noise since fitting the Laminar Lip.

17. Chet Van Aken

Chet Van Aken Tuned and Synch'ed

I put them on recently and am the same size as Robert. They did decrease buffeting, no doubt. I think they are worth the $$ even if they are a little pricey. It is quite noticable at much higher speeds where the buffet was tending to move the handle bars a little back and forth. (105 mph).

18. Dan Dicker

Dan Dicker Just got it firing!

105? Good on ya' - !