• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cali tank removal

Jack Edmondson

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Gentlemen,

I need help with a fuel tank issue on a '99 Cali EV, please. Bought a bike and it would only idle and not for long. I pulled the tank to replace the fuel filter to start. (don't know the history of the bike or how long it has sat, so thought it a good place to start.)

Here is my problem. I removed the nut forward of the petcock. I probably should not have. It held a long black 'stem' in the tank. I am not sure what it is, but it appears damaged, so need to replace it. It would help if I knew what it was.

I am wondering if these may be the root cause of my fuel delivery problem. I noticed the plug end of the wire was not connected. I can't find the female connect it connects to. Also, one of the wires appears to be damaged. Could this somehow effect fuel delivery?

Symptoms I am chasing for those interested, are stumbling at start up to stall. If I rev up the engine, it stalls. If the bike sits for a long period of time, it will start and idle for about 10 minutes before the stalling comes back. That is what lead me to believe it was a partially blocked fuel filter and not injectors or fuel pump. Also when it does run at idle and the engine is rev'ed, there is a pop, like a backfire, before stumbling and stalling. It is like there is a fuel starve condition. It may be exhaust related however and another issue to chase.

Questions:
What is this part?
Where does it plug into?
The damage on the wire, could it cause a fuel delivery problem, especially at higher rpm?
Finally, the thread pitch on the tank is very fine and the threads don't want to start. Is there a trick to getting this back on the tank threads?​

thank you for any help or observation. I would like to get this thing running at some point.

Fuel unit

That is the fuel level sending unit. There is a connector on the main harness for it. The connector with the red band on the main harness is for the electric petcock which I hope has been replaced with a manual one. The connector on the main harness without the band is for the sending unit. If you are having fuel delivery issues, my best guess is you still have the electric petcock. Replace if with a manual one. As for getting the sending unit back in the tank, you just have to be careful and patient not to cross thread the unit. It came off, it will go on.

Jack, no easy or cheap way around this. The older Cal fuel systems are prone to failure from sitting, thanks largely to ethanol. As John states above, the fuel petcock should be replaced with a manual one if it hasn't been already. From there, ALL of this must be done in order for the bike to run correctly: Replace petcock with manual version (shown below from our friends at MGCycle) and/or clean thoroughly if manual. Replace ALL fuel lines, filter and replace the fuel pump if any signs of contamination are present. I've removed the pump on many, and they looked like they were filled with fine grain sand. The pump howled when keyed on, though they all do not. Clean and/or replace the fuel pressure regulator (top of tank towards the angled down towards frame), last and most important, have the injectors professionally cleaned (I recommend RC Engineering here in SoCal). A fuel cleaner additive will not do the job. If you do not do all of these, the bike will not run properly, and we cannot be of any additional help here.

01105460.jpg

thank you for any help or observation. I would like to get this thing running at some point.

Welcome!

Now, I can give you a fish, and feed you for a day, or I can teach you how to fish, and feed you for a lifetime. I'll pick option #2.

You need to join the site by making a donation to help support its operation. Then when you do that, go to the downloads section, and get a copy of the Service Manual for the V11 EV.

This is the first basic requirement of materials you need to do your own work. Also, it will give you the ability to make intelligent decisions and ask smart questions.

With some rehab and a little reading, you can be on your way to getting your EV up to snuff.

I look forward to your posts. Good Luck!

Welcome!

Now, I can give you a fish, and feed you for a day, or I can teach you how to fish, and feed you for a lifetime. I'll pick option #2.

You need to join the site by making a donation to help support its operation. Then when you do that, go to the downloads section, and get a copy of the Service Manual for the V11 EV.

Good Luck!

He is a contributor. He just hasn't looked up the reference material. I think he wants the fish, and not learn to fish.

Thank you all, Gentlemen. Yes I joined and donated when I bought the bike knowing I would have some challenges. Thank you all for being a resource for those of whom are not mechanics, but willing to learn. I have downloaded the manuals and done some research. I am learning to fish. Yesterday I was in a bit of a time crunch, as I have a small window to get this project moving, due to work schedule demands.

The bike has had the manual petcock replaced at some point, so at least that is a start. The fuel filter is in place. I delayed on the fuel pump, as I did not want to throw parts at it; but suspected the entire fuel system might need to be sorted. The pump does sound strained when the ignition is engaged. I had not considered the regulator might also be a choke point.

At this point I have put it all back together, except for the sending unit mentioned above. I am taking to tank to a machinist whom works on tanks to get his experience on what can be done to repair threads. I can get the thread to catch and make about an 1/8 of a turn before it 'pops off' the thread. Before I stress the threads any further I want to have a machinist look at them.

Thank you again for all your responses.

Back