• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1100 going for scrape

Dragon

Just got it firing!
Helloooooooo can anybody out there suggest. a solution to this very strange and puzzling problem that my California 1100 has it starts and runs fine no smoke idles ok no rattles then when I stop some times it takes a while to start I thought coil packs getting hot but its the some cold won't start then starts runs fine then I thought fuel or spark but as I mentioned when its running its ok checked the fuel circulation that seems fine too, so I wondered if any one had any suggestions or solutions that might solve this, I have had the bike for thirteen years and do not won't to scrape it !!!!!!!!! . Regards to all Dragon.

Did you try a search? This has been well covered. There’s no magic wand or ease to resolve. If you aren’t mechanical or willing to tackle a timely diagnosis, it might be better to sell it. And scrap it I’ll assume you mean? ;)

Did you try a search? This has been well covered. There’s no magic wand or ease to resolve. If you aren’t mechanical or willing to tackle a timely diagnosis, it might be better to sell it. And scrap it I’ll assume you mean? ;)
Hi I have tried to search the problem even asked some qualified mechanics. no can offer any advise, I have some mechanical knowledge but its so strange, I will hopefully find a solution before. the scrapege of the Guzzi :(

Your answers are here, you just have to read up. What year? It is likely service item and injector related, as these bikes are pretty bulletproof otherwise. All I can be if help with here.

Your answers are here, you just have to read up. What year? It is likely service item and injector related, as these bikes are pretty bulletproof otherwise. All I can be if help with here.
I have indeed tried to find info I have. owned the bike for thirteen years its a t reg ( 1997) model so I was told I appreciate your advise, I will have to do more research thanks again :(

You say you have had the bike for 13 years.
1) Has the bike been sitting without being run for a long time?

NO I have been ridding it a lot even last Saturday when it runs its not smoking rattling or any other noises its a pleasure to ride then it won't start hot or cold

I have checked. the spark plugs with a meter but unable to check the actual spark as seems not to spark of engine but as I previously stated it starts and runs fine then will not start hot or cold its a strange one for sure.

Can you take the a plug out and rest it against the head or other metal part of the bike then attempt to start it, you should see a nice spark. Testing a plug with a multimeter wont tell you much, it will read either "open circuit " which all new plugs will do, but that could even mean the central electrode is broken internally or you will read a high value in ohms which could be a carboned up plug or it could be the internal resistor, if its that type of plug.
Take a new plug out with you on your ride and when the bike wont start remove the HT cable to the plug on the bike, plug in the new plug and see if youre getting a spark.

I have tried to test plug off engine no spark the plugs are not old ones when I take them out they look ok no carbon on them its more and more pointing to electrical either fuel or spark or both if the injection is stoping and starting and the spark is infrequent then it could cause problems I only guessing its real frustrating thats for sure, thanks for the help

When the bike will not start, if you remove the plugs, are they wet with fuel? if so that points to no spark. if they are dry it points to the injectors not operating. I am not familiar with the California 1100 as I have a Breva 1100. Can you remove an injector then observe the fuel spray as you attempt to start it. You need to narrow down the problem so you dont go chasing around in circles

When the bike will not start, if you remove the plugs, are they wet with fuel? if so that points to no spark. if they are dry it points to the injectors not operating. I am not familiar with the California 1100 as I have a Breva 1100. Can you remove an injector then observe the fuel spray as you attempt to start it. You need to narrow down the problem so you dont go chasing around in circles
I have removed one of the injectors and the fuel is coming out ok, the plugs are not wet when I remove them and no carbon when its been running .

Basics are, pull, clean rotate forward each relay best yet replace with new and spray with deoxit spray same in ignition switch pull replace & clean each fuse. Clean grounds at engine and battery.
I have checked the grounds (earths) all around the bike but I was thinking about relays as they are one component that can stop fuel and spark.:mad:

Back