• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 fuel tank capacity & MPG question

Today did 44miles on low fuel light. Every mile was spirited twisty mountain roads, lots of 4th gear some 1st and 2nd. Took only 4.1 gal(us) to fill so I figure about 100 miles at 60 mph hwy is easily doable. 2014 C1400 touring.

Today did 44miles on low fuel light. Every mile was spirited twisty mountain roads, lots of 4th gear some 1st and 2nd. Took only 4.1 gal(us) to fill so I figure about 100 miles at 60 mph hwy is easily doable. 2014 C1400 touring.
Found this old post elsewhere trying to understand my 2015 California gas behaviour.
After filling my tank more often than on my other bike (Boulevard C50), I found a pattern similar to what is below. That gives me good understanding and saves me from keep guessing if there is something wrong with my new toy.

"Unfortunately, mileage will vary with conditions, so it will be no guarantee.....
Mileage is very dependent on riding conditions and speed.
- Around town mileage is abysmal - typically in the low 30s at best.
- Highway mileage below 70 mph is typically 42-45 mpg, barring a big headwind.
- Highway mileage above 70 mph will drop off as your speed increases. Above 85 mph I usually see about 35 mpg.
Worst highway mileage I ever got was 27 mpg: constant 90 mph into a 25-30 mph headwind.
I always have about 1.2 gallons in the tank with the light comes on (based on how much it takes to fill the tank).
I never worry about fuel until I get close to 170 miles on a tank. I'm sure I could get 200 miles out of a tank if I was careful with my right wrist."

Last edited:
Acquired a 2013 Cali 1400 Touring, and despite running it dry, it has never taken more than 17.0 litres of fuel, that's 4.5 in US or 3.75 in Imperial Gallons. It's meant to take 20.5 litres. Now thats annoying enough as it is, but when it's down to about 3 or 4 litres left, it starves when accelerating hard, as if the fuel is sloshing away from the pickup point. Have had the tank cleaned, all bits inside dismantled by 2 different places, one of which is run by Mike Russell, ex Moto Corsa manager and Guzzi God., filter changed. Nothing to report. The lower capacity is merely annoying, and I can live with it, but the starving hesitation is downright dangerous, only happens on low fuel, and unfortunately when accelerating hard to overtake that long truck. Any ideas anyone? For the record, my old 2015 Guzzi V7 racer II also starved and hesitated on low-ish fuel... Is it endemic to Guzzis?

Finished a 2000km trip in the northwest, did average 43 MPG compared to 25 MPG in the city. Did notice best fuel consumption speed 105 -110 KM/HR.
I found out about the same. Between 60-65 mph is the best gas reading. 45-48 mpg.
On the other end, city traffic gets me at 25-28 mpg and a very hot crotch and right leg.

Last edited:
Acquired a 2013 Cali 1400 Touring, and despite running it dry, it has never taken more than 17.0 litres of fuel, that's 4.5 in US or 3.75 in Imperial Gallons. It's meant to take 20.5 litres. Now thats annoying enough as it is, but when it's down to about 3 or 4 litres left, it starves when accelerating hard, as if the fuel is sloshing away from the pickup point. Have had the tank cleaned, all bits inside dismantled by 2 different places, one of which is run by Mike Russell, ex Moto Corsa manager and Guzzi God., filter changed. Nothing to report. The lower capacity is merely annoying, and I can live with it, but the starving hesitation is downright dangerous, only happens on low fuel, and unfortunately when accelerating hard to overtake that long truck. Any ideas anyone? For the record, my old 2015 Guzzi V7 racer II also starved and hesitated on low-ish fuel... Is it endemic to Guzzis?

Reading through this forum gives me heartburn…

This is not directed solely at you but to the many posters here who just do not get it…

Fuel injection motorcycles are DIFFERENT than carburated motorcycles. You cannot run the tank to the fumes!

Your fuel injection system must maintain a constant pressure in the system and to do this, it requires fuel. As a matter of protocol, you never want to run a fuel injection motorcycle to dry! In fact, I never run any fuel injected motorcycle below 1/4 tank before I am refilling.

Seems like such a simple thing to do, keep petrol in the tank at a minimum 1/4 tank level…

Problem solved.

Most fuel injected bikes have a better tank design and fuel pickup than the C1400 does. Both my Triumph Thunderbird and Trophy never had fuel starvation issues, and would run down much closer to their stated capacity without any problems. The C1400 has a 5.0 gal usable capacity in the best of circumstances, and 4.0-4.5 is more realistic when calculating range. Fuel range is the one issue I have with the bike. A good touring bike should give you 250 miles of range, the C1400 at 175 brings some range anxiety into play in remote areas. More fuel capacity or better economy would be nice. And it's not the "big" engine; my Thunderbird had a 1600cc engine and would consistently return 40-50 MPG.

Dave

Now I understand why most of the califirnia1400 for sale have low millage. They are from riders that are not happy with a "thirsty bike". I agree, it'll gives me the mileage range than my old Hyundai Sonata (24 in the city and 38 on the road), but the comfort on the seat, the vanishing of the shaking of the engine as soon as you start moving, the joy of deep leaning on the curves, and that instant power when it is needed is what make us fall in love with the Cali, not saying about how it catch the eyes of everyone when you stop.
Yes, it can go deeper in your pocket but it pays it back with the pride that feels to ride it.

Last edited:
My last (round) trip with my Cali was about 250miles with 80% of it on Interstate. With my GTM fuel kit, airbox mod and Agostini mufflers I got 36.5mpg on the trip there and 38mpg on the way back with cruising around 70-75mph. My best mileage before the kit was 40-42mpg but that was cruising up in Dragon country where I rarely went over 60-65mph.
Both my 1400's took 3.4-3.7gals when the fuel reserve light came on.

Now I understand why most of the califirnia1400 for sale have low millage. They are from riders that are not happy with a "thirsty bike". I agree, it'll gives me the mileage range than my old Hyundai Sonata 24 in the city and 38 on the road), but the comfort on the seat, the vanishing of the shaking of the engine as soon as you start moving, the joy of deep leaning on the curves, and that instant power when it is needed is what make us fall in love with the Cali, not saying about how it catch the eyes of everyone when you stop.
Yes, it can go deeper in your pocket but it pays it back with the pride that feels to ride it.

My last (round) trip with my Cali was about 250miles with 80% of it on Interstate. With my GTM fuel kit, airbox mod and Agostini mufflers I got 36.5mpg on the trip there and 38mpg on the way back with cruising around 70-75mph. My best mileage before the kit was 40-42mpg but that was cruising up in Dragon country where I rarely went over 60-65mph.
Both my 1400's took 3.4-3.7gals when the fuel reserve light came on.
My mileage tracking is about the same. School bus cruising speed (65mph) gives my up to 46mpg depending on the wing and roar steepness. Interstate speed drips me to 38ish, and when the long gone youth spirit revives on me it goes lower. I registered 32mpg when I teste going 100mph on a long flat spot. Never again, but the Cali behaved like I was only 75mph, not a shake, not a complain.

I've increased the size of the vent hole in the neck of mine, helps to squeeze that last litre in when touring. Looks a bit rough but I did it very slowly with a hand drill and lots of grease, thought that might be a better option than using an electric one.
I have tried to hold it straight after the fuel show on the crown. Rocking it slightly as I continue filling I can get that extra quarter(liter) too. It also gives me a little workout for gluts and quads to keep riding.

I've increased the size of the vent hole in the neck of mine, helps to squeeze that last litre in when touring. Looks a bit rough but I did it very slowly with a hand drill and lots of grease, thought that might be a better option than using an electric one.

This makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

The hole you enlarged, is not a vent. It is an overflow drain which is designed to take excess fuel spilled in the bung area, and route it into a hose which drains it under the motorcycle.

How you equate this with an increase in fuel capacity is simply stupefying to me.

This makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

The hole you enlarged, is not a vent. It is an overflow drain which is designed to take excess fuel spilled in the bung area, and route it into a hose which drains it under the motorcycle.

How you equate this with an increase in fuel capacity is simply stupefying to me.
I beg to differ, it is just purely a small hole in the lip of the tank to allow air to escape once the petrol starts to fill the neck of the tank, it doesn't increase fuel capacity, making it larger just allows the air to escape faster while squeezing in an extra litre or two, it has nothing to do with the overflow.

I believe this is the vent hole John L is talking about. Of course filling it up that high goes against what Guzzi recommends as you run the risk of gas pushing out the overflow tube as your tooling down the road.
Yes, that is the one shown in the photo on my original post. I only fill it to the limit if I am going to get back on and ride straight away otherwise yes you do risk expansion pushing petrol out of the overflow if you let it sit while full.

Yes, that is the one shown in the photo on my original post. I only fill it to the limit if I am going to get back on and ride straight away otherwise yes you do risk expansion pushing petrol out of the overflow if you let it sit while full.
Oh Damn! I did not see that post? My Bad

Hello…I got a bit fed up with the warning light coming on after 80 miles or so. I took another route.…the engineers route…and added to the style a little bit. The side panels of the OEM tank are now fabricated into the tank and the tank now holds another 6 litres over the standard. Don’t expect anyone else to go this route…but currently doing the same 5hing to my 2017……the one 8n the images is from my 2014 Custom……ignore the exhausts….they were modified straight after the tank and tail….regards….Gavin the Scottish Engineer

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0158.jpeg
    IMG_0158.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0151.jpeg
    IMG_0151.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0150.jpeg
    IMG_0150.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 18

This is not directed solely at you but to the many posters here who just do not get it…

Fuel injection motorcycles are DIFFERENT than carburated motorcycles. You cannot run the tank to the fumes!

Your fuel injection system must maintain a constant pressure in the system and to do this, it requires fuel. As a matter of protocol, you never want to run a fuel injection motorcycle to dry! In fact, I never run any fuel injected motorcycle below 1/4 tank before I am refilling.

Seems like such a simple thing to do, keep petrol in the tank at a minimum 1/4 tank level…

Problem solved.
Hi Scott, and apologies for your heartburn, though I don't feel the slightest pang of guilt, so I'm only apologising as a (slightly annoying) habit.
Let me explain, before any further aneurisms DO make me feel guilty.
I've been running various motorcycles since 1975, the first being a Honda Mini Trail Z50A, or Monkey bike, and the latest 2 being the Guzzi California in question, as well as an Indian FTR 1200 S. Plenty of bikes in between, most having Fuel injection. The reason of my original query is NOT to run it on fumes until dry. From ALL previous bikes, when the manufacturer states the capacity of a tank, my experience is that the capacity is precisely that. The Guzzi is the ONLY one which is out by 4.5 litres, so a whopping 21.4%. The range on it is thus abysmal, and though it is not a deal breaker (I love the bike!), I doubt any bike needs 4.5 litres to keep the pump under pressure.
AS of now, my query still remains unanswered, since I still find it odd that Guzzi is the only make in the world that needs nearly a quarter of a tank's capacity sloshing there just for fun, in order for it to function.
No worries though, I can live with it, and willl heed your very sound advice to keep the tank 1/4 full at a minimum, not that I have the choice...

Hi Scott, and apologies for your heartburn, though I don't feel the slightest pang of guilt, so I'm only apologising as a (slightly annoying) habit.
Let me explain, before any further aneurisms DO make me feel guilty.
I've been running various motorcycles since 1975, the first being a Honda Mini Trail Z50A, or Monkey bike, and the latest 2 being the Guzzi California in question, as well as an Indian FTR 1200 S. Plenty of bikes in between, most having Fuel injection. The reason of my original query is NOT to run it on fumes until dry. From ALL previous bikes, when the manufacturer states the capacity of a tank, my experience is that the capacity is precisely that. The Guzzi is the ONLY one which is out by 4.5 litres, so a whopping 21.4%. The range on it is thus abysmal, and though it is not a deal breaker (I love the bike!), I doubt any bike needs 4.5 litres to keep the pump under pressure.
AS of now, my query still remains unanswered, since I still find it odd that Guzzi is the only make in the world that needs nearly a quarter of a tank's capacity sloshing there just for fun, in order for it to function.
No worries though, I can live with it, and willl heed your very sound advice to keep the tank 1/4 full at a minimum, not that I have the choice...

😆😆😆

You have to do what you have to do.

Trust me when I say that there are MANY THINGS here that people grumble about that I find from unusual to absurd, and it’s all fine and dandy. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry. People can do with their own motorcycles whatever they wish.

I can say though that I have 7 Moto Guzzi motorcycles and have never experienced the fuel hesitation you speak of on any of them but then again, as a rule, I generally try not to run my bikes out of fuel as low as you or others seem to do.

Perhaps your fuel pickup must be in a different location than mine. I would think they would have the pickup and the back of the tank in the lowest location, right next to where one’s crotch is behind the tank.

Did you verify the location when they worked on your tank?

Last edited:

Problem solved.

😆😆😆

You have to do what you have to do.

Trust me when I say that there are MANY THINGS here that people grumble about and it’s all fine and dandy. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry.

I can say that I have 7 Moto Guzzi motorcycles and I have never experienced the fuel hesitation you speak of on any of them but then again, as a rule, I try not to run my bikes out of fuel as low as you or others seem to do.

Perhaps your fuel pickup must be in a different location than mine. I would think they would have the pickup and the back of the tank in the lowest location, right next to where one’s crotch is behind the tank.

Did you verify the location when they worked on your tank?
"I can say that I have 7 Moto Guzzi motorcycles and I have never experienced the fuel hesitation you speak of on any of them"
Now THAT, is very good information! many thanks.
Just about to add am MGX21 to my small stable, so we'll see...
Stay safe.

Sounds like the fuel pump pick up is at the front of the tank, if you could extend it to the rear then that would probably solve the problem. Can't say I've noticed it on my Eldo, except a few weeks ago it was running on empty after my last ride and when I left home for the next outing it did hesitate on pick-up when opening the throttle, the Servo (gas station) is only 2kms away and downhill, when I filled the tank it took just over 19ltrs.

Back