• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 hanging throttle

2016 Eldo with Agostini slip ons. Otherwise stock. On two occasions the while idling thenrom suddenly went to red line. Had to switch the engine off to stop it. Ideas?

I replied to a thread earlier re the clutch switch and thought I would follow up although it sounds like you guys a probably all across this. Whilst my Clutch Switch was faulty I experienced a SERVIE code on the dash. At the same time my Cruise Control would not engage. Since replacing the Clutch Switch and resetting the code, my cruise control has now engaged as normal.

Looks I'm having the same issue, couldn't test the cruise control , because I already identified the switch to be broke (no spring action, or click sound). Waiting on parts at this point....found a switch like it on amazon. Will update, after the repair. At this point the swich will cost me $8 US. I have to reuse the old three pin connector, since the switch comes without it. Cable colors are like the MG replacement part. Did you have the red alarm light on?

Last edited:
No warning lights at all. Been at the dealer 2 months now. Waiting to hear back from Italy.

My experience is the bold text "SERVICE" message on the dash with a red alarm (triangle) to the right of the dash. If you want to test if your clutch diagnostic switch is faulty, I would suggest the following. Start your guzzi in gear. If the bike jumps forward, the switch is faulty as it is designed to mitigate this. The correct function is that the bike should not start unless your clutch is full pulled in. Upon replacement of the switch, and clearing of the alarm, your Cruise Control should reengage as normal.
After I identified the damage to the clutch switch, it took about 200 klms of riding before the warning light came on; so, if your warning light is not on now, it may come on in the next couple of hundred k's.

My experience is the bold text "SERVICE" message on the dash with a red alarm (triangle) to the right of the dash. If you want to test if your clutch diagnostic switch is faulty, I would suggest the following. Start your guzzi in gear. If the bike jumps forward, the switch is faulty as it is designed to mitigate this. The correct function is that the bike should not start unless your clutch is full pulled in. Upon replacement of the switch, and clearing of the alarm, your Cruise Control should reengage as normal.
After I identified the damage to the clutch switch, it took about 200 klms of riding before the warning light came on; so, if your warning light is not on now, it may come on in the next couple of hundred k's.
My warning light was already on, however the bike ran normal, I identified the switch issue AFTER the service and red light alarm came on. At this point I disconnected the switch and took it off the bike. Could not test the in gear start or cruise control function, bcause I almost never use cruise control, or start my bike in gear. Will see when everything is back together. How can you reset the red alarm light and it's related trouble code?

Update: the hanging throttle problem was becoming worrying. Especially with a hot bike in heavy traffic. The other day the motorcycle did not start in the morning due to lack of battery (I use the motorcycle daily). I have changed the Yuasa battery and have taken the opportunity to put in the one with the highest amperage. Surprise!!: the hanging throttle problem has disappeared. It doesn't seem like a coincidence. My theory: it would be an electrical problem. A low amperage would force the control unit to increase energy production in the alternator, increasing the revolutions. When hot, activating the oil cooler fan would further increase energy needs.

Update: the hanging throttle problem was becoming worrying. Especially with a hot bike in heavy traffic. The other day the motorcycle did not start in the morning due to lack of battery (I use the motorcycle daily). I have changed the Yuasa battery and have taken the opportunity to put in the one with the highest amperage. Surprise!!: the hanging throttle problem has disappeared. It doesn't seem like a coincidence. My theory: it would be an electrical problem. A low amperage would force the control unit to increase energy production in the alternator, increasing the revolutions. When hot, activating the oil cooler fan would further increase energy needs.
Yes, this is not a surprise. Well documented here that low battery health/voltage causes many different running issues. Thanks for your input.

Thats great. My mind would always go to the throttle control or the valve. What exact battery are your using currently ?

I have faced the same issue (hanging throttle), i went through a lot of checks and got solved .. then a year later it is back again. I'll share what i did the first time:

There was an air leak in the H Pipe, welded and repaired .. the issue got slightly fixed..

Thoroughly Cleaned the Throttle body and air box and intake ... The issue got slightly fixed

Check the clutch sensor.. nothing to report

Changed the battery with higher cranking power and engine ran way better ..

Checked the valve clearance and it was off ... Readjusted then the issue got solved completely..even the miss firing i had was gone

Few months... And probably 5K km later Battery got weak and the issue of hanging throttle comes and go ..

After reading this thread from 2014, I will check the temp sensor, battery, valve clearance adjustments and check clutch senor and hopefully that will solve the problem..i Will make sure to update you guys as soon as I can ..

Keep your hopes up ;)

Back