Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

California 1400 hanging throttle

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by guzziken, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Mike Tryon

Mike Tryon Eldorado FTW!

As I reread the post I realize that I sound like I had no faith in shop I took it to. Not the case at all, Jim does fantastic work and if I was not moving out of state I would continue to bring my bike to his shop. I am quite curious to know what all the inputs are and how their values translate to duty cycle time on the injectors. (yeah I am geeking a bit) knowing that Temp is used, a signal that is out of bounds or an open could create one heck of problem in relation to the rest of the values. It might just hang if there is a Divide by zero error or other such irrational number resulting a stepper motor not moving. Maybe?

2. JBBenson

JBBenson Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Looking at possibly getting a Cali 1400 so this thread interests me. I had an Aprilia Gen. 1 Caponord that had the exact problem described following a re-map. It did it whether hot, cold, high or low altitude.

Interesting that the 1400 has an Aprilia ECU, so may be related. Its clear that this issue is an software/electronic one, not misadjusted valves, otherwise it would start acting up when hot and continue, not behave intermittently.

It's a software/electrical issue for sure, and probably from bad signals from various sensors that the ECU is trying to compensate for. My Capo high idle was solved by re-mapping again....sometimes, maps don't "take" properly and need to be rewritten.

3. Dennis Avedisian

Dennis Avedisian Just got it firing!

I have the exact same problem. So what is the fix ? I have no dealer here in Idaho

4. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

First thing to check is your clutch switch.

kiwi dave likes this.
  5. Dennis Avedisian

What does that little white button do.

6. Mike Tryon

Mike Tryon Eldorado FTW!

For me it was a temp sensor in-between the jugs.

Ste likes this.
  7. sir fred

just see if it is working..it is either on or off.

8. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Not quite true, it's actually a single pole double throw switch, which has one circuit normally closed that opens when the clutch lever is pulled, and the other circuit which is open and is closed when the clutch lever is pulled.

I experienced the dreaded service icon and could not fathom what was wrong, as my switch appeared to be working on one side (I never checked the other side). It took a long time to diagnose.

The genuine part is expensive to replace. I found a Burgess V4LS micro switch was identical and was able to be wired into the existing loom when the faulty one was cut off.

GTM® and sir fred like this.
  9. sir fred

Good info. $13.95 on Amazon vs $80 at AF1 Racing..and it is easy to check and replace!

10. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Only time I've ever experienced the hanging throttle was about 30-60mins after returning from a ride. Outside temperature was modest <20C so bike did not overheat during ride. However leaving it off in the Garage for 30-60mins meant the heat in the engine had time to spread into all areas including the various temperature sensors. When I turned on the ignition, the LCD displayed showed a temperature of > 35C. When I started it and then revved it a little, the revs stuck at 3000. A quick blip had them drop back down. Repeating this over and over had the same effect until I let it cool down the next day, or took it for a ride to cool down. Fortunately the temperature here doesn't get that high so it's not a day to day problem for me, but I can reproduce the effect on demand.

11. moparnut72

moparnut72 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

First, I have a 2016 Audace. I have just read this thread from start to finish. I have expperienced most of the symptoms described in the following post at least to some degree..

"Here are my symptoms:
    1. Throttle sticks at about 3K rpm when engine warm and coasting (such as down mountain grade) in gear. A throttle blip will remedy it.
    2. Throttle hangs at about same RPM when engine warm and shifting (up or down) or engaging clutch.
    3. Idle jumpy when re-starting after sitting warm
    4. Idles high (about 2K) when warm and stopping to traffic light. She will settle down to 1200 rpm after 10 seconds or so."

I also find that my bike runs extremely well when it cool in the morning, both the air temp and the engine temp. As both warm up it does not run quite as smoothly. After a particularly hard run on a hot day it runs a bit rough. Also being shot down after one of these runs and being restarted say 10 minutes later it struggles for a few seconds to come to an even idle. As mentioned the temp sensor was the culprit in one case. This sure makes a lot of sense, to me anyway.

It has also been said that a map upgrade can help with this problem. I am sure it will but I am not so sure that this is the total solution. I am not up to total speed on remapping but a million Harley riders swear by it. I have also read somewhere, I don't remember where, that these bikes have a point between 2 and 3 thousand rpm where the ECM switches between open and closed loop for engine control. This does not allow for an easy transition from above 3,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm and below. It is in this range where I see most of the problems. I usually ride my bike either above 3,000 or below 2,000 to avoid these issues. Of course below 2,000 is only in first or second gear.

Prior to my Guzzi I had a couple of Twin Cam Harleys. One was 2006 which ran exclusively in open loop. It was a very smooth bike which I really liked but it was lost in a fire. I replaced it with a 2016 Softail. This bike was horrible at low rpm especially low gears. Much the same as my Guzzi but worse. One of the reasons I got rid of it among others.

I have no intention of dumping my Guzzi, it is the best bike I have ever owned. Even though I can live with the issues but it would be so much better if they didn't exist. I am not willing to spend a bunch of money trying to correct the problem. I spent a bit of money and many hours on my Harley trying to make it what it should have been from the factory. Rather ride than wrench.
    kk

Didier likes this.
  12. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

Check the switch at the clutch lever. I had the same symptoms and discovered the micro-switch on the clutch lever had failed. Replaced the switch and all is good.

13. moparnut72

moparnut72 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

My clutch switch is working perfectly. In fact I move the clutch lever slightly to disengage the cruise control so as to disengage it without flashing the brake lights confusing traffic behind me. The cruise control button on my year bike is not the easiest to manipulate. Thanks for your response.
    kk

14. Dennis Avedisian

my Idling seems to be all over the place, freeway speed is no problem, but the idling is just too fast or too slow.
    Need to know what the fix is. Remap? re-flash? power commander ?

15. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

You've got a sensor issue likely. Idling on mine has been dead on at 1200 since I bought the bike... ;-) [edit} Hmmm, maybe 2014 was a good year after all... ;-)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  16. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Get the bike to a dealer or someone who can diagnose the problem. No flash/PC-V will fix a running issue like you are having.

17. Dennis Avedisian

that's the problem, no Guzzi dealers or mechanics here in Idaho.

18. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

That's a problem for a lot of us...(no dealers)

Didier likes this.
  19. Ste

Ste Just got it firing!

Swapping out the Crank Position Sensor - 6389915 might be worth a try. That fixed my warm motor high and rough idle issues. easy job and cheap (35 bucks). good luck.

V700Steve likes this.
  20. MattKrajo

MattKrajo Just got it firing!

Hello,
    I have noticed this problem for the last few rides. Hanging throttle about 3000rpm when clutch is pressed. I noticed also huge loss of engine braking below this rpm. (I know about this common problem but this time it is much worse).

I read all this trhead and in my case I am sure it is not "clutch sensor" in my case(tempomant working, also starting in gear). I checked also Valve Clearance.
    When the engine is cold, this problem does not occur. It occurred only after about 15km of ride. Weather was quite cold (about 13 °C - 55°F).

I noticed this hanging throttle issue started when I did fuel remap, and I also did in Diag "reset Autolearning parameters", and "Handle self-learning". I think reset that parameters could cause that throttle hanging issue. I also made video after ride to simmulate this problem on neutral. (On video you can also notice my hot start issue - struggling with it over year)

Last edited: May 7, 2020