Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

California 1400 hanging throttle

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by guzziken, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Guzzi_Lou

Guzzi_Lou Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've noticed the same thing as well when stuck in traffic for a while with little bits of forward movement, ie stop and go a few feet, repeat. When I finally was able to get past that and ride the bike at normal speed, it'd idle high at the next light. Odd for sure.

Yarvis likes this.
  2. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

mine too..i used the clutch to bring the speed down.......
    I will bring it to the dealer...hopefully an ECU update will fix it.
    I haven't looked yet to see if there is a TPS(throttle position sensor) in the service manual but it is under warranty.

btw: otherwise nearly 6k trouble free miles of enjoyment.

Yarvis likes this.
  3. Yarvis

Yarvis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Saw some issues again last night. Takes a bit to step down after coming to a stop. I don't remember the bike doing this when it was brand new, hope someone finds a cure soon, I'd like to hope this will correct itself but what are the chances?

4. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

You all may want to check the micro-switch on the clutch lever (located under the lever). I found that when I broke mine, the idle would only go to normal at a stop when I was in neutral. If I just pulled in the clutch lever, the idle stayed around 1500RPM.

After replacing the switch, all is normal.

I am not suggesting that you replace your clutch switches, but it does mount with slotted holes which implies adjustment. Maybe the clutch switch has moved back far enough that it is not being fully made when you pull in the clutch lever.

Hey, adjustment is free and maybe it will make a difference!

Yarvis likes this.
  5. Yarvis

All tips and suggestions should be welcome here. A shame if it is this switch as all our bikes are pretty much still new. I'm out of warranty and my bike just hit 3500 miles.

6. Guzzi_Lou

Guzzi_Lou Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm pretty sure mine idled high while in neutral as well.

7. Wallman

Wallman Just got it firing!

long time away from the boards, but i see it looks alive and well.

I also am having the hanging throttle issue. Most notably after a good ride for an hour or so, and it shows itself mostly in traffic. I will be taking the bike in for service and a tire tomorrow and will ask our local tech what he thinks. '14 Cal 1400 Touring, 9600 mi, Agostini pipes, Charlotte NC

Yarvis likes this.
  8. Yarvis

Let us know what your dealer finds, corrects or recommends?

9. Yarvis

Anyone find a fix for this issue yet?

10. Yarvis

Trashtalker, obviously you are the dealer trying to fix the original posters bike correct? Have you guys found a solution or a fix yet? I don't think you or the OP have come back to say anything one way or the other. Obviously, you are being a good dealer trying to fix this bike, now my bike is doing these things, I don't know what to do here even though I have several dealers I can use. I'm hoping I find a dealer as dedicated. My bike just started to do this in the last two months or so. Last time I had any real work done was in August when the electrical recall was done on my bike. I wasn't having an issue back in August or Septemeber, but in October I believe i had a mishap and blew it off to being stuck in traffic, and then came November and now going into December, two incidents. I'm not feeling very confident on the bike at this moment.

11. Yarvis

Any news on your issue?

12. Yarvis

Was able to get an appointment to a dealer I forgot about about 45 minutes from me. Unfortunately no causes were found. Ideal conditions were not met today. It was cool, damp. overcast and later on raining. The tech only rode the bike back and forth in their lot, this isn't reproducing the issue correctly. Tech said bike was working as designed. One thing I didn't care for is trying to blame the Agostini slip ons for this issue. I believe I had one or two episodes PRIOR to the slip on install and one or two after. Those of you who have had this issue, are you bone stock or not? I'm curious. Of course most dealers will blame a non OEM part for an issue a bike or car is having, but I just want to ask.

13. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Easy answer to this. Try going back to stock for a while and see whether the symptoms persist.

Yarvis likes this.
  14. Yarvis

Yes, the service guy said the same thing, I had to order new fasteners for the stock cans since I stripped three of them. But honestly, no issues going to that shop or coming home today so are the slip ons the issue?

jomuc likes this.
  15. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Probably not. Seems to me it might be a heat related issue. I have two Cali 1400s, one has the GT-Rx reflash and PC with Autotune installed. On this one, I experience total shutoff when I let the throttle go, very similar to the CARC models when the stepper motor is disabled (i.e. maximum engine braking. I did say I like solid engine braking?).

Might be your answer, and you'll enjoy other benefits such as better power and fuel consumption.

Yarvis likes this.
  16. Yarvis

I'm confused what happens when you let go of the throttle? It shuts off on you? I've spoken to Todd ever so briefly about this but honestly I'm only good for light weight stuff on my bikes. Todd's equipment requires going to a dealer to reflash or download to the ecu, I don't know or trust a dealer to do anything of this caliber right now. How did you make out?

17. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yarvis likes this.
  18. Yarvis

Todd
    You're talking to a total novice when it comes to Moto Guzzi's and or fuel management. Not to mention installing said fuel managers. I know we briefly spoke about my heat issue this past spring/summer but what what do you reccomend again?

Kjon likes this.
  19. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

You'll still need the full kit; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/pc-vat300gt-rx-5am-ecu-flash/ -- upside now is that you don't need the dealer for the install, and you can set it back to stock if ever needed. The box I linked you to will be a slightly higher cost then the kit link above.

Yarvis likes this.
  20. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I guess I didn't explain myself properly. What I really meant there is no hint of a hanging throttle, maximum deceleration via engine braking occurs when the throttle is released.

If I was in your position I'd embrace the new C14 ECU Programmer Box. If you don't feel competent, get a friend who understands this stuff to help. You will be amazed at the result.

Yarvis likes this.