Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

California 1400 hanging throttle

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by guzziken, Jul 22, 2015.

1. George_S

George_S Just got it firing!

Not normal. Are you sure you didn't just stall it out while trying to go really slow? Or maybe in too high of a gear for the slow speed?

bounty320i likes this.
  2. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

Are you sure you did't hit the kill switch? or check your side stand \ switch.

bounty320i likes this.
  3. Guzzi_Lou

Guzzi_Lou Cruisin' Guzzisti

These issue make it seem like a vacuum issue.

bounty320i likes this.
  4. bounty320i

bounty320i Tuned and Synch'ed

No. Idle is fine. I dropped it off at the dealer. They're going to take a look at it. Happened twice since my last post. It's as if the rear brake engages or the traction control kicks in. The good thing is that it happened to the technician when he took it for a test ride which is usually not the case .

5. bounty320i

Didn't stall it or anything like that - in fact the bike just comes to a stop like when you're applying the brakes but without actually doing so .. It was really unnerving the first time it happened.

6. bounty320i

It's a brand new Audace by the way....

7. bounty320i

Ok. So, I have an update. not quite what I expected but it turns out the problem had nothing to do with the throttle or fueling... The culprit was the rear brake pedal!! When fully compressed - at a traffic light for example - it would release normally when I would disengage only to engage again quite aggressively. Causing the bike to slow down. Add the closing of the throttle in such a scenario and you get a complete loss of power . I'm very lucky this didn't occurs at high speed..

Yarvis and Guzzi_Lou like this.
  8. Touringman

Touringman Cruisin' Guzzisti

So...we now know what the issue was...do we know what caused the rear brake to engage by itself?

9. bounty320i

All they said was that the rod linking the pedal to the master cylinder was getting jammed so the loosened that and applied some grease.

10. Touringman

Hmmmm...going to have to check that on mine. It hasn't stalled, but it was very difficult to back out of the garage the other day...kind of like the brake was being applied...

11. Loosy gussi

Loosy gussi Tuned and Synch'ed

Out riding for about an hour, lots of freeway, got off the exit & had to wait a few minutes for the traffic light. The bike should have been plenty warm but not over heated. I had to stop right away and when I pulled in the clutch the revs hung up at about 3000. I blibed the throttle and the rpms dropped right down to normal. Never had this happen before. I am currently changing the oil & adjusting the valves for the 6000 mi service. I have the full fuelling mods. I Don't know what to think since this is the first & only time this has happened, but now I know what you are experiencing

Yarvis likes this.
  12. George_S

George_S Just got it firing!

Just a note, certainly not anything definitive, but I got to ride the past three days and the hanging throttle problem did not appear, and I noticed some good engine braking. Ambient temperature was only 55-60F and I didn't sit in any traffic so I'll have to wait for hotter summer temperatures for more insight.

Yarvis likes this.
  13. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I have an update on my hanging throttle problem and it is cured. To begin with my problem was not just the throttle hanging up and dropping very slowly when coming to a stop. Mine also would want to die if left idling at normal rpm's for more than about 15 seconds so I had to pick it back up with the throttle. Part of the problem was fixed by replacing the clutch switch. The rest of the issues were cured by Todd when I took the bike to his shop for service and tweaking the mapping. My valves were out of adjustment but the map changes that Todd did cured my hanging idle and hanging rpm's when closing the throttle and the bike wanting to die when idling at a stoplight. I highly recommend Todds remapping and tuning.

Billy52 and Yarvis like this.
  14. Yarvis

Yarvis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

What did Todd do exactly with the mapping and tuning? What about the clutch switch? Part number? Ease of replacement?

15. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

I bought my clutch switch from AF1 racing. I think it was about $80.00. Easy to replace.

Yarvis likes this.
  16. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

My clutch switch was replaced under my extended warranty so I don't have an answer to that question. My California has Todds tuning for the ECU plus the PC5 and auto tune. I'm not sure what changes he made with map, maybe he could chime in if he sees this. I know it smelled rich at idle.

Yarvis likes this.
  17. Yarvis

Yarvis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Thanks Groundhog!

18. Touringman

Groundhog...
    Exactly what issue did the clutch switch cause...or what fixed itself once it was replaced? I have Todds fueling system but mine has started "loping" at idle...kind of like an old chevy V8 with too big of a cam...
    Again this only happens with a well warmed engine...
    Any thoughts?

19. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yes, pull and send me the map direct email.

20. Guzzi_Lou

Guzzi_Lou Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm noticing the hanging throttle again now that the weather's warming up ... annoying when you're at a light and the bike's revving at 3,000 rpm or more in neutral.

Yarvis likes this.