Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

California 1400 hanging throttle

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by guzziken, Jul 22, 2015.

1. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm sure the OP has done due diligence and ruled this out, BUT... I've been experimenting with different wind screens on my 2014 Custom recently. Twice I've had engine race issues that were due to slight (and I *mean* slight) cable routing issues when near a full lock turn. The RBW throttle effort is so small on these bikes, just a slight pull on the cables was causing the race condition (I couldn't feel any resistance in the handlebars)... FWIW.....

2. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

Normal. Supposedly helps both emissions output (unburned hydrocarbons) and gearbox/driveline wear. Say good bye to those lovely sounds soon...

3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Might be normal, but hardly desirable. I've put a pneumatic switch on the stepper motor hose on my 1200 Sports to regain the engine braking, but unfortunately the Cali 1400 doesn't have a stepper motor.

However, I've found the GT-Rx fuel kit removes this behaviour, and gives a wonderful amount of engine braking. Worth it for this reason alone.

4. chrisjoffe

chrisjoffe Just got it firing!

Just back from service. I haven't ridden it exhaustively yet but it seems a lot better. The valves were very loose and the mechanic says (according to Guzzi) this causes the ECU to try and adapt (badly).

No feeling if replacing the clutch switch did anything.

Guzzi_Lou likes this.
  5. Guzzi_Lou

Guzzi_Lou Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated in the longer term.

6. Mike Tryon

Mike Tryon Eldorado FTW!

I had the sticking throttle problem too. Turned out that my Temp sensor was going bad, once it was replaced never happened again.

7. Mark Fechtel

Mark Fechtel Just got it firing!

My 2014 California does that as well. I've got 7700 miles on it now; I didn't notice it at first, but on any downhill with throttle closed the loss of engine breaking is very noticeable at 3000 rpm. When coming to a stop in gear with the clutch in, it wants to idle at 1500+ rpm. If I put it in neutral and let out the clutch, it drops to normal idle of 1000-1100 rpm. I figured it had to be the way the ECU was programmed, but I'd like to know more about the temperature sensor Mike mentioned.

8. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

If you're a fan of engine braking (as I am), the cure for the 1400 California is Todd's reflashed ECU, as advertised on the store this site. You would have to take your bike to him, as I don't think he offers a reflash kit for this model.

An alternative which offers a slight improvement can be achieved by disconnecting the lambda sensors. It doesn't show up as an error on the dashboard, but it will on some diagnostic programs. Doesn't appear to hurt anything, and the idle appears to drop a bit too.

9. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

Does your cruise control work?..if not it is the clutch switch.

10. Mark Fechtel

My cruise control works as designed, and it doesn't seem to matter which throttle map it's in (although I have to admit I have never used the rain mode here in Phoenix...).

11. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

Check the clutch switch. No kidding. I had the exact same symptoms when I broke my clutch switch. Replaced it and the issues went away.

12. Guzzi_Lou

Guzzi_Lou Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for sharing and please update us in a few weeks. Do you recall where the temp sensor is?

13. Mark Fechtel

I will have the dealer check the switch, since it's in the shop now due to clutch slippage.

14. blakbird

blakbird Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

All, the "Clutch switch" seems to have been identified as the potential source of several problems with the Cali 1400. Some with potential serious consequences.

What, if any, early warning symptoms are there?
    Is clutch switch failure more likely on a given year / model?
    Does it make sense to change the switch at the earliest opportunity, in the hope that the replacement is less likely to fail?

15. Loosy gussi

Loosy gussi Tuned and Synch'ed

I was helped diagnosing my faulty clutch switch by gurus here. try the cruise control. .when it doesn't work, clutch switch was 20170415_092209.jpg bad. My switch lasted a couple years before failing, 2014 cali touring, .. factory part about $80-90 US or solder on new micro-switch ( save money) don't fix if isn't broken

16. blakbird

blakbird Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I couldn't agree more I've yet to have an issue with any of my Guzzis that one or more of the Gurus, and or individual contributor hasn't addressed logically, completely and politely.

I had a plan to save money on M/C maintenance. Enabled our number 1 son to get his motorcycle mechanic certification at the local technical college. Even brought a '96 Sport 1100 to get him working on Guzzi's while he was at school. Now he has his certificate, is earning his own money, has his own bikes, and "is in a relationship". I have to make an appointment for any work that doesn't result in faster and/or louder. :(

kdirtrider, John L and stephenm like this.
  17. John in PA

John in PA Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Re: Clutch switch, if the clutch switch is the problem, does it not throw a SERVICE code on the dash?

Also, if the clutch switch is causing the engine braking to cut out at 3000 RPM, does the cruise control continue to operate in some circumstances?

My situation:
    Stock filter and airbox.
    Moaning Whale done. (Air box not
    Mistral pipes installed
    Cruise control works fine
    Valves checked, .006" intake and .008" exhaust

Engine braking cuts in above 3000 RPM and cuts out below 3000 RPM. VERY repeatable. Like a switch is being thrown (not gradual) Hot or cool engine, like the ECU is controlling it. Down a long grade with throttle closed, engine braking goes on, off, on, off, on, off, as RPMs float above and below 3000.

I've noticed the other "hanging throttle" issue on a few occasions when braking to a stop. As others have stated, idle drops quickly to normal when clutch is pulled. I wonder if it's just the lack of engine braking that I'm feeling in that RPM range? Behavior is VERY similar to simply rolling throttle on slightly during engine braking, so it seems as if air is being added to the engine. If Todd's reflash kills this behavior, then it has to be in the mapping, except I believe at least one party in this very lengthy thread has indicated that the problem continues even after the whole Guzzitech enchilada(??)

Another 2016 Eldorado owner told me, as we discussed this problem, that he finds engine braking to be "more aggressive" in Veloce mode, but hasn't really watched closely connection between RPMs and engine braking. I'm going to change modes and see if I notice a change in engine braking performance. TBD...

18. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Interesting. I prefer the Turismo mode, because I experience more engine braking, especially with the stock ECU.

19. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I'm sure I read somewhere that engine braking is also affected by the traction control setting with the strongest braking with traction control off. That being said I have mine on level 1 and haven't noticed any problems.

20. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

The engine braking you describe is the same as my Touring. I believe the map is adding some fuel on overrun when the revs drop below around 3000rpm. If you want more engine braking you have to drop down enough gears so the overrun is in a higher rev range. The 'hanging throttle' referred to, I also experienced when my clutch switch went faulty and threw a SERVICE code. In this case, the bike would hold a 1500rpm idle at certain times.

Stephen