• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 OEM luggage rack

Gavin

2014 Custom given some custom treatment
GT di Razza Pura
Afternoon, to you all……whilst prepping my California 1400 for a trip to Switzerland…..I looked with envy at the following item

But no matter where I searched…nothing was available….sold out…no stock…nothing
CFFD8838 040D 429D 9A46 ACE494EBF2A8

Plenty of adverts and various prices ….but…no one had any for sale.

Last edited:
All I had was the original OEM backrest item which came with the bike……and I have been trying to sell it for the past 6 months

I ride solo and had no need for the backrest, I had already changed it for the classic seat surround frame to emulate the T3.

But I really wanted a luggage rack and I was not keen on the HB variant or style.

My intentions are to only fit the rack on major trips like the Swiss or Italian ones with the T3 surround remaining in place at all other times.

4BCEF688 8D2A 43DB 8F26 ACA05D304264

Last edited:
Sorry about this….I’m posting from a tablet and it’s a limited on its functions….or rather I’m a bit limited with its functions

Anyway….the search for the rack continued….I tried all of usual outlets in the US…the UK …Holland and Italy….all with no joy.

So…..being unable to sell my OEM back rest….I bought another generic Italian scooter rack….from EBay for £20 …hoping the base metal and chroming would be similar to the MG backrest……it was Italian after all

I stuck a mini cutting disc in the grinder and shaped this from both.

A13723AA 3961 462F B5E2 367948F3F6A7

I then.tacked and welded both sections after visiting the dechroming tanks at the local platers….to remove most of the chrome……they charged 40 gb pounds to dip and strip.

This treatment allowed a better weld joint to be made ……as I hade change the design slightly from what MG offered.

I did away with the idea of bottom strut which bolts through the mudguard and bent my version to locate on the bottom loop of the seat frame.

Last edited:
The final pre plating results are good and the rack mounts exactly as MG intended and let’s me use the rack without mounting a roll bag on the seat.

241E4432 6540 4C1E B598 FC01D4FC01B1

The new old rack was initially going to be chrome plated….but the platers were unhappy with the intricate sections and quoted 300 gb pounds as a deterrent.

My local powder crater showed no such reservations and will charge 80 pounds to blast seal and satin black the rack

I have 2 plastic bungs which will locate in the cut uprights creating a finished look and hopefully will post the fitted final version by next month end.

Necessity …is the Mother of Invention…so goes the saying

Hope this helps any would be alternative luggage rack searchers

Costs……deplating 40 pounds…..Aprilia rack 20 pounds and 80 pounds for blasting and powder coating….plus the spare California 1400 Tour backrest.

Befriend a welder and tug his leather apron….once you have his attention offer some folding money…they will always help

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited:
The final pre plating results are good and the rack mounts exactly as MG intended and let’s me use the rack without mounting a roll bag on the seat.

View attachment 25914

The new old rack was initially going to be chrome plated….but the platers were unhappy with the intricate sections and quoted 300 gb pounds as a deterrent.

My local powder crater showed no such reservations and will charge 80 pounds to blast seal and satin black the rack

I have 2 plastic bungs which will locate in the cut uprights creating a finished look and hopefully will post the fitted final version by next month end.

Necessity …is the Mother of Invention…so goes the saying

Hope this helps any would be alternative luggage rack searchers

Costs……deplating 40 pounds…..Aprilia rack 20 pounds and 80 pounds for blasting and powder coating….plus the spare California 1400 Tour backrest.

Befriend a welder and tug his leather apron….once you have his attention offer some folding money…they will always help

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Good job. However I notice your new fabricated rack lacks the trailing side support arms of the factory unit. Those ran under the rear fender/mudgard and bolted to the rear sub-frame to create a stronger trianglar support structure for the luggage. Without those it will probably put extra load/flex on your single support tab under the rear seat.

FYI just be careful loading that up with a lot of luggage as I seem to remember a story somewhere on this site about someone's 1400 rack breaking as a result of something similar - just my 2 cents/pence worth

Paul…..noted and appreciated

My roll bag is fairly light in weight due to the OEM panniers taking most of my luggage….I’d guess 10 Ibs max
It would not be suitable for a top box or any other such thing.
More suitable for a hairdryer, slippers and a bath robe….like all Italian riders I know…I kid you not!
I really made this rack as a replacement of using the rear section of the seat.

Thanks

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

As the 1400’s have been discontinued for a couple of years now, you will find less and less available.

Such is a marque with < 10,000 annual units of production.

The aftermarket sales are so small that production parts runs become cost prohibitive.

Ask Todd, I’m sure he’s an expert on this as he bites this bullet with everything he designs and creates for Guzzisti here in the store.

That's the "Scottish Engineer " coming out in you . Nice job , those hair dryers can be a real pain to lug around :) .
Peter

All I had was the original OEM backrest item which came with the bike……and I have been trying to sell it for the past 6 months

I ride solo and had no need for the backrest, I had already changed it for the classic seat surround frame to emulate the T3.

But I really wanted a luggage rack and I was not keen on the HB variant or style.

My intentions are to only fit the rack on major trips like the Swiss or Italian ones with the T3 surround remaining in place at all other times.

View attachment 25912
How much are you asking for the backrest?

Afternoon …..fans of the California 1400

I picked up the rack from the powder coating company and all is ready to mount to the bike.

I just wanted to post the image of the modified rack in order that the thread was finalised.

54A2E92C 4E5A 4B44 AB60 EF7EE397CA87

Not chrome…..but looks pretty good and I’m happy enough with to mount it on long trips.

thanks,

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Back