• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California/Jackal charging system

RPWIII

Just got it firing!
I have a 2000 Jackal. I was running the bike around town and saw the charge light come on, glow at first and as I accelerated it got bright , slowed down it got dim, flickered a bit and went out. Looked as though it has a lose connection somewhere. So my question is, anyone have ideas on where to start looking?
My other question is, do these have a permanent magnet type alternator? In all the electrical schematics there appears to only be two wires coming from the alternator to the voltage reg. I was also going to check the exciter brushes, but they do not appear to have any. That is why the question about permanent magnets.

It is a permanent magnet system. Disconnect the two yellow wires that go to the regulator rectifier. Use a DVM set to read AC voltage. At idle you should have around 20Vac. At 3,000 RPM about 40 Vac and at 5,000 RPM about 80 VAC. If you have these readings replace the regulator rectifier, if not replace the stator.

I'd definitely check for a loose/dirty connection, the first place I'd look would be the plug between the alternator and regulator/rectifier.

Thanks guys. The bike that the Jackal replaced was a "Iron head Sportster", 1985. The bike's design is the last year of the original sportster that came out in 1957. It was a grand experience nothing will replace.
I am amazed to find the same charging design on the Guzzi as Harley is using. This design is usually reserved for dirt bikes, industrial equipment,.... and well, Harleys. Simple and robust, but parasitic to gas mileage and horse power.
This really surprised me, but I can live with it.
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.
Richard

This has come back to being a problem again. Just had the tank and seat off. Are there any electrical plugs for the charging system under the tank?
Tomorrow I am going to Test the voltage at the alternator as John suggested last summer. Then look for loose connections.
By the way, the battery light is out (Not lit) all of the time now. No flickering now. That is why I thought I might have a loose connection. I sure do not want to remove the tank again unnecessarily, so I want check everything else first.

I have a 1998 California EV, which I am fairly certain uses the same charging system parts. On my bike, the reg-rec is on a plate just below the steering neck. All of the connectors for the alternator and the regulator/rectifier are stuffed up behind the steering neck, and most or all have enough wire slack to pull down and access without moving the tank. If you do have to move the tank, try it without disconnecting the fuel hose and fuel level sensor plug. just un-bolt and slide it back two or three inches. then remove the neck covers and see if that gets you there.

On my EV, the reg-rec bolts onto a small metal plate, which is held to the bike by a pair of 8mm bolts (that also hold the engine guard bars on bikes so equipped). the mounting plate has slots instead of holes for those bolts, which is very helpful because you just loosen the bolts and the plate slips out, giving lots more room to reach stuff. The plate is powder coated, so it's not a great ground path. these reg-rec's need a ground for their housing, which normally is provided by the mounting screws. I've added a short wire with a ring terminal on each end that goes from one of the reg-rec mounting screws to one of the engine cover screws as a supplemental ground.

I am waiting for a EME reg-rec that is for sale on the STORE tab above here, to replace the ElectroSport one that I installed in 2015. it should arrive tomorrow.

Usually as stated it's just corroded connections. the other smart preventative thing to do is pull all the fuses and relays flush with contact cleaner clean up or just replace them all and spray with deoxit. The stock relays suck and there are different sizes. best to replace all with new 5 prong units. don't be surprised if the olf fuses just disintegrate in your hand.

Back