RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

California Vintage – Tyres

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by JMVintage, May 10, 2010.

1. JMVintage

JMVintage Just got it firing!

Time has come to replace the rear tyre of my bike (11,000Km)
    I still have the originals:
    Front: Metzler 110/90-18-61V
    Rear: Metzler 140/80-17-69V

Are these the best tyres or would somebody recommend another brand and/or size for the California Vintage?
    Thanks!

2. JMVintage

JMVintage Just got it firing!

Please don't laugh but I would like to try wide whitewall tyres. Does anybody know if are there any available for my rims size?

Poppe likes this.
  3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

I don't know about the white wall tires, but I do know that Bridgestone BT 45s work well with the EV chassis. Better grip and they last long enough (about 8,000 miles ).

4. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I've used the oringinal Metzlers and BT45s over the past 65,000km on my Stone. Now i have the Metzler Marathons and they're the best tyre I've used.

5. Stuart Mudd

Stuart Mudd Just got it firing!

Did you have any success with this? I was also thinking of fitting whitewalls to my 2001 Cali EV80

6. janguzzi

janguzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

I personally think that white walls do not look good on a Tonti Cali. I have found one example:

The orignal Metzelers are really crappy, especially on wet roads.
    You should try Bridgestone BT45 or even better: Michelin Pilot Activ (these seems to be the best tires for the Cali at the moment).

Stuart Mudd and john zibell like this.
  7. Stuart Mudd

Stuart Mudd Just got it firing!

I'm aware of all the posts about folks' opinions on tyres. Forums are full of those questions.
    It's a shame the YouTube video doesn't state what tyres he has fitted and the comments on the video have closed (at least to me) so I can't ask him about his whtewalls.

8. janguzzi

janguzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

Wrong info from me: Michelin Pilot Activ do not have an approval for the Vintage (confirmed by Michelin, Germany).
    I am not sure if this is only valid for the EU or Germany.

These tyres can be used on the Vintage:
    - Metzeler Lasertec und Sportec Klassik
    - Bridgestone BT 45
    - Dunlop Arrowmax Streetsmart (confirmed by Dunlop, Germany)
    - Avon AM26 Roadrider

I have decided to mount the Dunlop tyres.
    According to tests the handling is as good as with the BT45 and they have the best grip on wet streets.