• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California Vintage brake light cracking?

thewarren

Just got it firing!
Does anyone know anything about rear brake light mountings cracking due to vibration on the California Vintage?

I have seen this problem mentioned twice in comments posted about this bike elsewhere on the net. One of the commenters said his was replaced under warranty but I have no idea how long that fix lasted or if the replacement part was upgraded.

I am toying with the idea of buying a Vintage and want to know how widespread a problem this is, what the fix is, etc.

Thanks.

I have been on all the Guzzi boards for a good while and did see the Blog write up about the brake light by doing a search when I saw this post, Much to do about nothing, definitely not common and certainly nothing to keep one from buying a Cal Vin, After 9000 miles my Cal Vin's tail light is as good as the day it came from the factory.

What do we mean about brake light cracking? Are we talking about the tail light assembly, which houses the rear bulbs including the filament for the brake light, or are we talking about the rear brake light switch?

For what it's worth, I had one of my Vintage's rear light bracket fall apart after riding over some gravel roads with nasty corrugations that basically bounced the bike around while trying to traverse the horrible stuff.

Not talking about switch. Talking about assembly, housing. I cannot be more specific than that because I only read about it as a problem 2 other people had.

thewarren said:
Not talking about switch. Talking about assembly, housing. I cannot be more specific than that because I only read about it as a problem 2 other people had.

I believe they were talking about the mount points for the turn signals. It is plastic and the turn signal oscillations on rough surfaces may cause the housing to fail. This has been an issue since the first EVs. Some do it, some don't. The fix has been well documented to use a threaded rod through the housing to fasten the turn signals. So if you like the Vintage, get one, if it breaks, we know how to fix it.

Not the 2 comments I saw. Nothing about turn signals. The comments were about the brake light.

thewarren said:
Not the 2 comments I saw. Nothing about turn signals. The comments were about the brake light.

Brake light and tail light are the same assembly. The center part doesn't have much stress on it. The stress is where the turn signals mount. If the tail/brake fail from the plastic bulb socket overheating, we can fix that too. Then again, until you buy one and have a failure, there isn't much to really talk about. Worrying about what others have said is a waste of energy.

Please, if "worrying about what others have said is a waste of energy" then we would not have forums. Besides, I am not worrying, just gathering information about a bike model I may buy so that I can make an informed decision about my purchase and so that I know what I can expect should I decide to buy it.

Back