• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California wheel swap?

Gwilliam

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I have a 2001 Stone with the standard chrome tube type wheel rims.
I would really like to be using tubeless tyres, mostly for the convenience of roadside puncture repairs when touring around in Europe.

I have a neighbour that has a California EV, which I believe is around 1996, that he is breaking and has offered me the tubeless wheels.

I would very much appreciate somebody letting me know whether these wheels would fit my Stone. The front has twin discs instead of the Stone's single but that shouldn't be a problem. Some threads that I have read suggest that there may be some issues around the rear hub and/or the swing arm width?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

I don't think they offered tubeless on the '96 or '97, though your Stone here in the States is a 2002+ only.
Pics are best, but if it's a '98 outside spoke laced C11 EV (BEHR) wheel with 140/80-17 tire, it will be plug and play using your wheel spacers -- you will have a gap between the rear drive and wheel, but it's a non issue outside of cosmetic.

Excellent!
Thanks for the clarification.
I will check on the actual wheel spec and VIN # of his EV but it may well be as late as 1998.
My Stone is definitely 2001 from the VIN # although it must have sat in the local dealer for quite a while as it wasn't first registered for the road until 2004. Luckily, that means that it was too early for hydraulic lifters but I think that it does have the twin plate clutch so all good!

Last edited:
Following the front wheel swap I feel it would be desirable to retain the twin brake discs and would like to operate them both independently of the rear brake.
I assume that I will need a larger bore master cylinder to achieve this with a realistic amount of lever travel.
I remember reading about this conversion some years ago but can't remember the master cylinder used although I think it may have come from a Ducati?
Can anybody shed any light on this?

The tubeless early EV wheels will say 'BBS' on them. For brakes, just get his integral brake sys, your swing arm may not accept the rear lever. I would use the splitter from a CalVin it's better.

Steve, I think he wants to not link his brakes. So a larger MC would be required. Several are listed in the store tab. so he should contact Todd direct for the correct master cylinder to use.

That is correct John.
I also seem to remember a second disc being offered by Moto Guzzi as an upgrade for the Jackal/Stone although I don't remember an associated master cylinder - perhaps it was supplied as a kit with both items?
As soon as I get hold of the replacement wheels and discs I will contact Todd for the correct master cylinder as you suggest.
Thanks for your help.

OK, it's in the Jackal parts, that's where i found it, PN#GU30660125. It's a 16mm plunger master. Not available from Guzzi. It also came standard on the Quota.

Thanks for the time and effort Steve.
It looks like it was one of the optional front brake parts on the Jackal that was never offered on the Stone.
I just need to find if that master cylinder part number crosses to any other manufacturer that still produces it,

As John states above, all you have to do is contact me or look on the Store tab. It’s what helps support the site you are asking for information here.
I am a Brembo dealer, and can get every part, OEM or upgraded Brembo pumps.
Email; Info at GuzziTech.com

Apologies for reviving a 2 year old thread but it has literally taken years for my neighbour to dismantle the crashed EV from which I wanted the tubeless wheel rims.
I now have the front wheel in front of me, with the following markings around the rim:
10-98 BBS 03610800 18x2.50 B-40 H2-T DOT-E
TUBELESS MADE IN ITALY K L 352

I would like to fit this to my 2001 Stone which has chrome steel rims with the following markings around the front rim:
DOT T MOTOGUZZI 18x2.50 TLA 40 ROUTEBORRANI ITALY
10 01

I have a 110/90V-18 tyre fitted to the existing Stone rim.

I would be grateful if somebody could confirm that this tubeless rim would be suitable "plug and play" replacement, only requiring the use of my existing spacers.
Is it also possible to say whether the rear will fit as Todd had suggested albeit that there are no BEHR markings on the front wheel? Unfortunately, I don't yet have possession of the rear yet to provide the rim details.

Thanks, as always, for any help.

Thanks John!

Just to confirm on the rear. I have managed to get a look at the wheel, still on the rear of the damaged EV.
Written around the rim is as follows:
09-08 BBS 03630700 17x3.50 B-40 H2-T DOT E JIL (possibly)
TUBELESS MADE IN ITALY K L

My Stone has the following:
DOT E MOTOGUZZI 17x3.50 MT-40- RUOTEBORRANI ITALY
28-00

The tyre size is 140/80V17.

I am really hoping that the plug and play theme continues with the rear so that I can finally get this job finished!
I have decided to stick with the Stone's standard, single front disc setup as it has proved perfectly adequate over the last ten or twelve years of ownership.

Thanks again for your help!

If you have the rectangular swing arm profile the 140 is OK. If both sides are round, then run a 130. Just mount the wheel with the 140 on your bike and make sure it clears the swing arm on the drive shaft side.

My Stone has the following: DOT E MOTOGUZZI 17x3.50 - The tyre size is 140/80V17.
I am really hoping that the plug and play theme continues with the rear so that I can finally get this job finished!
So a touch lost in translation as the Stone didn't exist until the 2002 model year. Production year may be late 01. Critical because the '00-01 Jackal had the round tube swingarm (on both sides, as John notes above), but a 140/70 tire does fit, as that is the size as delivered from Guzzi. If you want to go wider, you'd need the '02+ (rectangular left side) swingarm in which came stock with a 150/70 from Guzzi on the '03+ EV models (with the newer, wider style rear BEHR tubeless rim). I fitted my '00 Jackal with the '98 tubeless EV wheels and a 140/70-17 in late 2000, with the stock '00 swing-arm (same as the older EV T) -- As shown here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/todds-jackal-evolution.235/ - I added the 2002+ rectangular swingarm in 2003 when I had the custom 17" laced Fr & Rr wheel set made to run a 160/60 sport radial rear.

So a touch lost in translation as the Stone didn't exist until the 2002 model year. Production year may be late 01. Critical because the '00-01 Jackal had the round tube swingarm (on both sides, as John notes above), but a 140/70 tire does fit, as that is the size as delivered from Guzzi. If you want to go wider, you'd need the '02+ (rectangular left side) swingarm in which came stock with a 150/70 from Guzzi on the '03+ EV models (with the newer, wider style rear BEHR tubeless rim). I fitted my '00 Jackal with the '98 tubeless EV wheels and a 140/70-17 in late 2000, with the stock '00 swing-arm (same as the older EV T) -- As shown here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/todds-jackal-evolution.235/ - I added the 2002+ rectangular swingarm in 2003 when I had the custom 17" laced Fr & Rr wheel set made to run a 160/60 sport radial rear.

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer!
I am sure that you are correct with the 2001 production year, the VIN # ZGUKDC4KD1M155044 appears to confirm this and a web based VIN breakdown chart does show it as a CALIFORNIA STONE 1100 2001-2002.
The tank is also badged as a 2001 80th Anniversary Model.
Funnily enough it sat in the dealer's showroom until March 13th 2004, when it was first registered for the road.
I am blown away by your Jackal conversion and do wonder how you find the patience to deal with our little tweaks! I am just glad that you and your team do provide such a valuable resource - thank you all.

I don't think they offered tubeless on the '96 or '97, though your Stone here in the States is a 2002+ only.
Pics are best, but if it's a '98 outside spoke laced C11 EV (BEHR) wheel with 140/80-17 tire, it will be plug and play using your wheel spacers -- you will have a gap between the rear drive and wheel, but it's a non issue outside of cosmetic.

A final post now that both the BBS tubeless wheels are fitted for anybody else considering doing the same.
You will need to use the original Stone front spindle but discard the two Stone spacers and replace them with the single EV spacer.
On the rear, use the original Stone spindle and spacer. I swapped the drive plate from the Stone wheel to keep the matched splines but it probably isn't necessary.
As Todd stated, you will end up with a larger gap between the final drive housing and the wheel but it is not too unsightly.
Thanks again for all the help and advice that I received with this task.

Back