RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we are in the crazy times for orders. Lead times are long, so we can't do much to rush things. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (mainly August), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and also, we aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum before starting a new topic, and as a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

Cam Angle Sensor Question

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by DETRoadster, Apr 11, 2019.

1. DETRoadster

DETRoadster Tuned and Synch'ed GT Site Contributor!

Hi Everyone!

So I recently replaced my cam angle sensor on my 2014 V7 Racer. When I removed the sensor I noticed 2 things:

1) It's in an area of the engine that's bathed in oil, yet it had no gasket or other means of sealing the sensor.

2) When looking at the machined portion of the engine that the sensor mates to, it sure looks like there's a lip in there for an O-Ring to seat into. No O-ring present on my bike.

I looked at the parts manual for my bike and there's an image of what looks like an O-Ring as part of the cam angle sensor assembly, however it's called out as a "hose clamp." Part number is GU49609601 in case anyone is interested.

Can anyone tell me if there is indeed supposed to be an O-Ring that seals the connection between the cam angle sensor and the engine block? Thanks!

2. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

On my Breva there are a couple of shims and a small "O" ring that sits in the machined/recess of the block

DETRoadster likes this.
  3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

The oring for phase sensor is GU90706141 and they show no shims and call it a Encoder Sensor, but there is an oring.

It's on wiring electrical drawing 1

The earlier one has shims and looks like they are called hose clamps, 2 part #'s thin & thick
    Check your sensor for shims, 2015 w/alt in oil has no shims and is different sensor part number

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    DETRoadster likes this.
  4. DETRoadster

Thanks! I knew there should be one in there. Begs the question, what happened to mine?! Yikes!

5. DETRoadster

Yeah, I saw GU90706141 on the drawing. it's in line with the bolt, which is called out as a washer on the parts list. Anyway, based on scale it looked very small and I assumed it must be an o-ring that's intended to go under the head of the bolt. So if GU90706141 is the O-ring I'm after, what do you think GU49609601 is?

Both parts are like $3 so I'll probably just order both and see what shows up.

6. V700Steve

Orings & seals part #'s start w/ 9070

DETRoadster likes this.
  7. V700Steve

Those are the shims, they screwed up the drawing.

DETRoadster likes this.
  8. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

If it's a normal o-ring I would just go to the hardware store plumbing section and buy one that fits.

DETRoadster and V700Steve like this.
  9. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

This is interesting. On my 1998 and the 01 EV's I checked the sensors on a regular basis because they picked up swaph for the first 20000 miles or so. I never thought to look at either of the V7's yet at 12000 and 9500 miles. Should I?

10. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

Part GU90706141 is a 17.8 x 1.8 mm O-ring. The part number has been updated to 847180.
    Part number GU49609601 is a black plastic zip tie, 92 x 2.4 mm.
    No shim washers are shown in the latest parts manual for the V7II, but I've read somewhere that 1 or 2 may be installed between the sensor and the O-ring. They're probably fitted individually to each motor, depending on variations in the casting, to create a consistent space between the sensor and the timing wheel. Although the spacers aren't shown in the parts manual, in the the service manual, under re-installing the sensor, there is the sentence " Place the sensor plus the corresponding spacers; the air gap should be between 0.7 and 0.9 mm"

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    V700Steve and DETRoadster like this.
  11. V700Steve

If you want to know, I'd look & clean. OR wait till an issue occurs.

12. DETRoadster

Brilliant! That's great information, Steve. Thank you!

13. DETRoadster

Normally I would. But I've got a cart already put together with some gaskets, oil change kit, etc. so it's nothing to drop the o-ring in too as it's in stock. If this was July and I was missing out on riding days I'd 100% do as you suggest. Given that it's April, in Seattle, and we wont see a day without rain for about 2 months.....I can wait.

Wisconsin v7 Racer likes this.
  14. DETRoadster

Got it. That all makes sense now.

Thanks everyone!!!

15. V700Steve

Yes, Yes, Yes, Like He says measure for factory spec & do as needed to correct gap. Sometimes you have to read more than 1 book. Main goal is to have the correct gap