• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cam out of 8V.

Penis Rotor

GT Godfather!
No, I'm not the least bit interested in sneering or criticism.

OK, so I started to get paranoid. I thought the top end of my Griso was beginning to 'Tick' more than it should. Given Greg's observations at MI I thought it was time for a looksee.

Before I start let me apologise for the overall poor quality of the pics. This was done on Easter Saturday morning, the workshop is always gloomy, it was cloudy and overcast outside and I'm crap with a camera so please, if you want to give me grief? Feel free, but find some other Pete Roper who actually cares! ;D

3430772316_a0f21515c3_m.jpg

OK, so that's got the seat, battery and tank out of the way.

3430779454_4a42904ab5_m.jpg

Then get the 'wings' off.

3429976617_f85a2ed698_m.jpg

This is a pic of the 'Core Plug', what Aussies and many Yanks would call a 'Welch Plug', that blew out on the bike in the UK that had a pic of it put up on Guzzitech. Just so you know. It's the only case I've heard of but no doubt this will lead to a hundred more 'Sky is Falling' posts ??? ::)

3430799782_d066d18f34_m.jpg

OK, rocker cover off and there's the cam sprocket. Set the piston at TDC compression and...

3430804994_aeec956cea_m.jpg

Remove the breather plate from the end of the head behind the cam sprocket.

3430005139_4754b99836_m.jpg

After undoing the bolt that retains the sprocket and flinger plate from the end of the cam the sprocket can be pulled off AFTER the tensioner has been compressed with a screwdriver, the 5mm allen bolt removed from the back of the cylinder and the tensioner locked slack by insering an allen key, (Or some such through the hole. This is shown very well in the factory tear down, It was a bit dark for me to get a decent pic in the workshop, sorry.

The sprocket can then be hung up with a cable tie to the back of the head above the cam-tunnel/breather 'ole.

3430837542_412370acf9_m.jpg

Ithen loosened the two inner bolts on the 'Scaffold' as i wan't sure if they went into the head proper. It turns out they don't sso the next step SHOUL be to undo the two 6mm bolts at the back of thr cam-chain tunnel, (Sorry, no pic, but I'm pretty sure they AREN'T the ones shown being undone in the factroy description! They go betwixt head and barrel! Not at the base of the barrel to the block.

3430039295_e6c0d811b8_m.jpg

The four main stud nuts can now be loosened and removed, (In steps, in a crosshatch patern.) and the whole cam holding 'Scaffold' lifted free of the head. The above pic and the one below shows what the 'Bare' head looks like without the valve-lifting equipment in-situ. As Greg noted, th head itself is pretty thin, oil is gushing all over this area helping to keep things cool, that surface will be VERY hot in service. No Yak Fat for this baby!!!! ;D

3430858740_a1b1aa239a_m.jpg

3430865278_c64f9c27b4_m.jpg

Here you can see the 'Scaffold' inverted on the bench. The cams clearly visible. Next step was to undo the 4 *underneath* bolts that retain the top of the 'Scaffold' to the bottom, as I said, I'd already removed the top two but this can easily be left until this point as they DON'T go into the head.

3430884338_eeb49d2ed9.jpg

That's a better one of the 4 bolts.

NOW FOR PEOPLE WHO MIGHT BE DOING THIS. THIS IS IMPORTANT

3430078525_196c499938.jpg

Look carefully at this pic. Next to the upper left hand bolt hole you can see there is a locating pin. Look adjacent to the one on the lower right and you will see that the pin is BROKEN. These are locating pins to ensure that there is sufficient alignment in the cam bearings. The hydraulic tension of the oil between the upper and lower parts of the 'Scaffold' makes them reluctant to part company. I held on to the 'Lower" part and gave the cam a tap with a 4 Oz. hammer. It separated, but not evenly and the locator pin broke. Entirely my fault but although I had examined the parts diagram I hadn't realized exactly how tiny these pins are, less than 2mm would be my guess. Be VERY, VERY carefull separating the scaffold. The good news for me was that it didn't snap completely flush and I was able to re-install everything without danger of further damage, more on that later, but BE VERY AWARE. I'm glad I found this out on my own machine rather than a customers. Whilke I can live with it I wouldn't send out a customer's bike like that and that would of cost me BIG BICKIES! :eek:

3430096483_e79b206da3.jpg

That is a REALLY lousy pic of one of the tappets, sorry, but that's the best I've got.In reality it looks OK but you can see the 'Ghosting' that Greg mentioned. It isn't failing yet, but the potential is there. I'll try and get some better pics when i actually do the replacement/recall work.

3430985234_ff6ef43dfd.jpg

One of the diddy little pushrods.

3430990046_5a76fe991b.jpg

The camshaft, yes, there are marks on the nose circle, detectable by eye but not by feel.

3430994864_fe4c62cdb8.jpg

Another one of the same.

3430189113_793037381e.jpg

Reassembley, note liberal use of assembley lube!

Reassembley was a reverse of the disassembley. Because of the broken pin I was VERY careful reassembling the 'Scaffold and ensured that after torquing the camshaft turned freely with no tight spots. I didn't remove the rockers themselves as there semed to be no need, they moved smooth and free.

Once all back together I turned the motor by hand to ensure that the cam timing was OK, (It is important to keep tension on the cam chain at all times to ensure it doesn't jump a tooth at either end and throw the cam timing out as this will result in bent valves!),. Fired her up and all is good, but I look forward to getting the *new* bits.

So, like any Guzzi before this, there is no *magic* involved, none of it is very difficult, just be careful and pay attention to basics and take care taking the 'Scaffold' to bits.

Runs like a champ again and my mind is at least partially at rest. ::) ;D

Pete

PS, sorry, the early pics are small, I tried to make 'em bigger but I'm not very clever with 'pooters!

Excellent post - thanx for 'how-to' and what to look for.... If my G11 ever grows up I will at least not be walking blindly into the top end of an 8V - ;)

Pete, if you care for a hand, we could probably get the larger pics somewhere and make the small ones clickable links to the big ones ;)

I seemed to have missed what you did so the G runs like a champ again? Or is that just what you always get after stripping a thing down and reassembling it with care ... a figment of auto-satisfaction? ;)

(I almost called your G the Green Slug ... oh my! :silly:)

I suspect the green tint on some of those photos is the glare from the kawasaki that you must have somewhere in the garage. Surely not a Guzzi colour ;-)

The green is not Kawa or Pete's Guzzi, just taken a picture without a flashlight by TL-light that will give this green flare on the photo.

You can neutralize it by using a flashlight or a special colored filter, but that's not the issue here. (It's off-topic, and not important. Just wanted to let you know why) Pete's info is more interesting of course! :side:

So that's also where the green in your user pic comes from, then? Flash isn't necessary in digi-pic age (and to be proscribed when photographing the sort of subject in this thread!!), just play with the white-balance settings ;)

Back