• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Can a California 1400 go on a diet?

Gavin

2014 Custom given some custom treatment
GT di Razza Pura
I love the C1400 for its presence and looks but in engineering terms it’s far too heavy
Coming from Cagiva, Ducati and comparing it to the early California T3 the C1400 is about 150-200 Lbs overweight

Normal engineering practice would look at the exhaust, forks, general suspension and naturally wheels….as for every Ilb saved on the wheels is closer to 4 Lbs in unspung actual weight….like a weight on a clock pendulum

Then the general frame and fabrication….but I an NOT going there….but I‘ve already done the exhausts, (full GTM single skin stainless) forks (Matris internals machined in alloy) and their rear suspension all thanks to GTM…..Ive dumped the SAS pump and hoses….I’ve thrown away the airbox and now have a single large conical foam filter….I’ve taken off the side anchors also known as footboards and replaced with Audace pegs and controls……...

but I am curious about wheels….any thoughts on replacement wheels and any other ideas to get this C1400 below the 600 Lbs mark

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited:
I was thinking the same of the V7 III - a custom alloy frame would go a long was towards shaving some weight off…
Anything else would be nickel and dimes.
Or better known as a GTM custom build in the ~435 lb range ready to ride. ;)

Todd…..are you aware of alternative and considerably lighter wheels than OEM ?

Thanks
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Todd…..are you aware of alternative and considerably lighter wheels than OEM ?
I’m not. Next I have an Eldo wheel off, I’ll weigh it. Perhaps an alloy hoop alternative might knock a few pounds off, but the 1400 isn’t one that is being chased for weight reduction. The Griso frame is close to 80#, so I imagine the 1400 is 100#+
Battery and exhaust is the largest and easiest weight reduction. Next I have the one below in the shop, I’ll weigh it and post.

15E3A9AB 2963 4B96 B996 489405BC47F8

Thank you…..and I’ll start my search over here for lighter wheels which undoubtedly will be forged aluminium and not spoked. I’m not trying to re invent the wheel…no pun intended…simply trying to reduce the over engineered and un necessary weight…the over engineering is part of the charm …but the physical weight is substantial

Thanks
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited:
It's hard to get the compromise between a stable bike that a pillion moving around on and a side wind has little impact on and something 'lighter'. I bought my 1400 Eldo' cos my last two bikes were too heavy (Victory Crossroads then a Yamaha Roadliner) but in the end only ended up saving about 15kg and do notice the wieght when trying to move her. They do carry the weight low fortunately. However (as you have) changing the mufflers saves a heap. . I sat on a 1400 Touring before buying & it did 'feel' a lot heavier for the 20kg or so extra it weighs.

Thank you…..and I’ll start my search over here for lighter wheels which undoubtedly will be forged aluminium and not spoked. I’m not trying to re invent the wheel…no pun intended…simply trying to reduce the over engineered and un necessary weight…the over engineering is part of the charm …but the physical weight is substantial
Welcome. Be aware that the rear wheel drive hub is complex due to the shaft drive.

It's more to do with the price of the material alone that I was making reference to . Not to mention
the conditions necessary for proper welding . But if you've seen the pictures of a couple of my bikes
here , you could say I've got a somewhat open mind about what can be done with Moto-Guzzi's . :) . Peter

It's more to do with the price of the material alone that I was making reference to . Not to mention
the conditions necessary for proper welding . But if you've seen the pictures of a couple of my bikes
here , you could say I've got a somewhat open mind about what can be done with Moto-Guzzi's . :) . Peter
Sparked my interest. Thanks I will be looking into it!

Well, the search has been fruitless
There are wheel manufacturer/s making fitments for GUZZI but only for the models such as Griso….not the California

The cast California wheel is lighter than the Eldorado wheel but that is about the only option and I have the California wheel

I might have to just get used to the weight……but it illogical to have something this heavy when there is no need for it.

I am guessing MG wanted to ape the HD with weight and also the self engineered lumpy beat and sound. In real world engineering there would be 2 throttle bodies without the left hand side stealing the fuelling from the right hand side

So…unless you know of a wheel from an alternative MG model that fits……it’s kind of heavy..man

thanks
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Well, the search has been fruitless
There are wheel manufacturer/s making fitments for GUZZI but only for the models such as Griso….not the California

The cast California wheel is lighter than the Eldorado wheel but that is about the only option and I have the California wheel

I might have to just get used to the weight……but it illogical to have something this heavy when there is no need for it.

I am guessing MG wanted to ape the HD with weight and also the self engineered lumpy beat and sound. In real world engineering there would be 2 throttle bodies without the left hand side stealing the fuelling from the right hand side

So…unless you know of a wheel from an alternative MG model that fits……it’s kind of heavy..man

thanks
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Umm...

I'm sure that if you send an email to Todd, you could order custom made carbon wheels from Jonich.

They will be $$$$ but you can have what you are after.

As in most things, there is nothing you cannot fix if you are willing to throw enough money at the solution to the problem.

Scott…..I am under the impression that even those wheels are not manufactured for the California 1400

I will have to get used to it……hhmm

thanks

Back