• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Can a California 1400 go on a diet?

Jonich makes CUSTOM ORDER wheels.
Yupp the webpage asks for certain dimensions/measurements of the wheel, and if it comes down to it, they will ask for the physical wheel to do so.
Ive been down to the pits of tartarus looking for wheels for the V7 III and it seems I will be doing this in the future. I'm aware kineo has wheels but the spokes are too thin for my liking. The jonich wheels have these beefy looking spokes that are the bees-knees.

I work with Jonich of course, and am one of their dealers. Incredible wheel art ($$$$)... However not any lighter than any other spoked wheelset, much less cast.

I work with Jonich of course, and am one of their dealers. Incredible wheel art ($$$$)... However not any lighter than any other spoked wheelset, much less cast.
I'm willing to give up lightness/visual appeal for a 17 inch rim.

You're baiting us with the remark of one cylinder stealing fuel from the other cylinder , right ? Peter

Peter…….Going off thread…but as it is mine …here goes.

When I was using the dyno and the remapping to get over the stock lumpiness …..we concluded that the left cylinder was stealing air and fuel from the right hand side……perhaps due to the manifold design.

This discovery dictated that it may be wise to use a proven system …took me down the road to order the GTM fueling kit and self flashing thing

I love Dyno work but sometimes if it’s just for yourself ….the option of over analysing the tables to too much.

I have the C1400 working well with what I did ….but really it needs the wide band exhaust sensors and individual cylinder adjustment that Todd has researched and developed.

Therefore…I have joined the ranks of folk who have benefited from his dedication…..but in PURE engineering terms…there should be 2 throttle bodies with infinite fueling and response adjustments on each……l don’t think that Todd will develop a system…but who know…and is the juice worth the squeez?

thanks

Gavin.
The Scottish Engineer

Hello…..been doing some research on weight saving……the bare central frame section of the C1400 Eldorado and Audace comes in at 83 Lbs . The total frame assembly is going to be over 110 it’s. So the prospect of fabricating a lighter version is limited as the maximum saving will only be approx 25 Lbs….and that if a 25 percent reduction is achieved via new fabrication…..given that all other subframes and brackets take the frame to 1110 lbs…..and some dont lend them selves to re fabrication .
…the engine is soooo heavy….but thinking logically the best options are unstrung weight savings…ie forks….swing arms but mainly wheels….I am going to explore this.

The Norge and Brevia frames…in theory will take the engine….the C1400 engine mounting positions are the same as the Norge and Brevia engines……indeed there is a guy in the States shoehorning the 1400 engines into the Brevia……Jim Hamlin..I think
I have done this type of thing many times with my Ducati and Cagiva bikes….forcing 4 valve engines into frames made for a smaller unit…..giving agility and performance in great measure…..

But getting back to the current issue……the overly heavy GUZZI C1400….it’s Standard gear box …props and other stuff….are they interchangeable….with other models….no idea…I haven’t got that info…but for sure wheels are doable….but after speaking to many GUZZI alp chasers….change the rear tyre!

Drop from 200 to 180 profile….according to others is a single best improvement.

Personally…it will be my next thing…but currently moving the pegs back along with the controls….I just can’t scratch on a foot forward basis…it could be me…but hey ho

Any ideas…other than drilling every bracket with a stepped hole cutter?

Thanks

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited:
You're definitely right with the 180 tire size .
On my 2018 Eldorado I removed the floorboards and installed foot pegs 6" back.
Gotta say , getting that rear brake light switch mounted and working with the revised
brake control was a PITA and I ended up with a reduced lean angle before scraping the
new peg mount . Peter

I should've weighed my motor , trans assembly when I replaced the alternator , but wasn't
thinking about it at the time ( how long could an alternator replacement take :( ) . Would
you have had the chance to weigh yours ? Might require one heck of a scale ! Peter

Thank you for the input…..yes..I’ve done a fair few Cagiva /Ducati engined modified bikes,,,,for road, rallye and hill climb.

You guys in the States never got the Cagiva name…you got Ducati…but Cagiva owned Husqvarna, Ducati, Moto Morini and the old MV factories…they combined the suspension of Husqvarana with Ducati engines and Moto Moroni styling…
Cagiva were world leaders in Rallye and won the Paris Dakar.

Here is a hill climb bike I built a few years ago using the Cagiva chassis and Ducati 999 engine…..so I cam identify with Mr Hamlin looking for a more powerful unit in a smaller and lighter chassis package.

Attachments

• 8940B666-3160-4718-BC1A-FC88C1F016F0.jpeg
    8940B666-3160-4718-BC1A-FC88C1F016F0.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
So ….moving on….Jim Hamlin, uses the C1400 engine a puts it in the Brevia and or Norge chassis.
So…that’s a start….I’ll explore other drive train options but the comments from Moto UNO are VERY encouraging.
No one wants to try to re invent the wheel…….when you can simply ask.

Thank you Moto UNO…I would be particularly interested in seeing the finished foot board or foot peg assembly and positioning of your conversion. It encourages me to see this path that I am travelling has at least got a few scuff marks on it…from previous travellers.

Please advise…but for sure …a 180 section rear tyre is now on the shopping list……and I’m looking at front wheel options…still the same size but centralising discs and such onto another GUZZI front wheel may save weight without too much expense or machining.

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited:
Gentleman……one last thing before I find a steel rule and vernier.

Why am I doing this?
Well …we’re coming into winter and I just had a shoulder rotational cuff operation and no riding until the New Year
lt was this injury that exasperated the weight issues of the C1400……I love the concept but not the weight.
So I need something to keep the grey brain matter grey.

And ….if it’s your area of comfort…which it is, none of this is difficult.
Unlike wiring….electrics is the Devils work and should only be carried out by those who know.

In my opinion wiring is like dating your own sister….at times …it sounds okay, but…it will end in tears

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited:
Only problem with that big island, are the people in the southern half! They talk funny, don’t laugh much, and like to push other people around. 😆😆😆
I have a British friend who has lived in Mississippi for the last 30yrs and its the funnist damn thing to hear him say Ya'all in a British accent. But then I get laughed at down here when I say it being I'm originally from New York State

Well….the diet continued….exhausts, air box, SAS system, foot boards and controls replaced with Audace items, rear back rest and some other items including suspension bring the weight loss close to 50 lbs. That is about as much as can be done without ditching light bar and panniers….and it won’t be the California I longed for if I go that route…and that’s not happening
So 2 final things….a lithium battery sometime during the 2023 year and the fitting of the 180:section tyre …..
other than this…I’ll have to get used to it!

Have a good time in 2023

regards
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Back