• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Can buss error

Mike Tryon

Eldorado FTW!
My battery died. I left the key on for about three days. After recharging the battery I turned the key on and after the speedo sweep the head light turned off and the display read "CAN BUSS ERROR". What does this mean?

My battery died. I left the key on for about three days. After recharging the battery I turned the key on and after the speedo sweep the head light turned off and the display read "CAN BUSS ERROR". What does this mean?
Google it like I just did you will have the answer.

Have the battery load tested first, you might have to Replace the battery .

From a google search

moto guzzi 1400 with can bus error

if you have disconnected the dash and are getting the CAN CODE ERROR after reconnecting an original dash, try using the original key block and if still doesn't clear then double check that the connection on the back of the dash is well home and clipped into place.
If using a new key or dash then you will need to head off to the dealers to connect PADS for the ECU / Dash / key re-marraige

I took the battery off the bike and trickle charged it for 48 hours. Error gone and bike starts up like a champ! Running strong, its my daily ride!

I would monitor the charging system w/meter, make sure it's charging correctly.
There was a bulletin on cutting a 12V lead to alternator, only because if you left the key on and not start your bike it would KILL the alternator. Do a search, it affected early Cali 14's.

When I noticed the key was left on it had been a few days and the meter only read 0.04V at the battery. I put it on a"Dumb" charger for about an hour and it read just over 6V. I had to do this because my tender/smart charger needs to see 3V or won't do anything. after a few hours it read 12V maybe it would have started but I got the CAN BUSS Error, I took the battery out thinking I probably needed a new one. and hooked it up to the tender while I researched the error Google was no help. After a weekend of not much usefulI found I considered the possibility that the error was due a voltage drop and doing a "Cold reboot" might fix it I hooked the battery back up and was good to go. don't think it needed all 48 hours, I just put the battery on the tender/smart charger and left it alone all weekend. So far the charging system is working like a champ. I have been riding it for a week now with no issues. I probably should have mentioned the bike is a 2016 Eldorado.

Back