• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Can you trust your dealer

skorpion

Tuned and Synch'ed
My 2013 8v 1200 Sport went in for its 10,000K service yesterday to the dealer it was purchased from.

When I checked the work order I saw that checking the valve clearances was NOT ticked. This repeated what I had seen for the first 1500K service as well.

I queried this, and the mechanic was consulted. His reply was that all the 8 valve motors have hydraulic tappets that don't need adjustment. I corrected him and after a bit of discussion he went off to look at the Guzzi technical web site and came back after quite some time and confirmed that he had got it wrong, but that he had had a Griso in some time back that had hydraulic tappets (I don't think so) and had assumed that all were the same.

He offered to do the valves there and then, but I declined particularly as he had recently returned from a test run and would have been working on a hot motor - not good for accurate setting of clearances.

I took the bike away and will do the valve clearances myself over the weekend, as I did after the first service.

I wonder how many 8 valve motors are out there that have never had their valve clearnaces checked?

Gawd!

I'd buy VDSTS and do everything yourself. What oil are they using? Some crappy mineral 20/50 because its 'Only a Guzzi'?

Betcha if you check the air bleeds on the TB's they'll both be open too.

It's NOT hard to do the bloody job right, it really isn't.

Pete

Pete

I was way ahead of you. I always supply my own oil to ensure that I know what has been used and avoid any discussion. As always I use Castrol Edge 10W60 full synthetic (automotive oil - as clutch and gear additives are not needed) and Castrol Syntrax 75W90 full synthetic for both the gearbox and final drive. Always used these oils in Guzzis, from the MkV Le Mans, thru the 1100 Breva, 1200 Sport 2 valve and Stelvio and there has never been any issues ofany sort.

Also already have a VDST - in fact 2 of them, 1 for the 8 valve motor got for the Stelvio I had before the Sport and one for the V7 Classic I had for a while (now replced with an Aprilia Mana - something you will appreciate)

I will be checking the TPS and other things as well, although I am quite sure that they have not even tried to do anything along these lines as there is no noticable change in performance and I would be even more certain the bike has not seen a Navigator. They work to a generic service schedule that was written for Jap bikes and do not refer to Guzzi schedules at all.

If it wasn't for warranty considerations, they would never see the bike, but the consideration is , is it worth risking serious damage for the sake of possible warranty issues.

Wouldn't bother with them myself, even if there are warrenty issues, pretty sure you will end up doing all the donkey work yourself, sounds like u have it sussed anyhow.

Back