• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Canadian Stelvio recall

Billd

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello all, just new to the form. I own two Moto Guzzis, a 1993 Daytona and just bought a 2009 Stelvio (new from a dealer) . Got it last month and have put 4700 KMS on it, no issues, runs great and I really enjoy the bike. Did however contact the dealer about the recall on the cam followers. The bikes VIN # is ZGULZC0029M112368, they contacted M/G via the dealer internet connection and the bike is one of those effected, they had not got the information about the recall from Moto Guzzi. The dealer is the Yamaha dealer in Kelowna BC and also sales M/G's. They are rushing all the parts out of Toronto and will flush the engine and do the cam and follower replacement. They have another in stock that will also get the recall upgrades. I am pleased with their responce and they are clearly working hard at making things right. These are great bikes and this recall does not dampen my enthusiasm at all as I can remember some of the other problems with other makes of bikes like the 1984 Honda VFR 750 that had major cam failure problems. Even though the 500 and 1000 VFR's were not effected all VFR sales went to near "0"
Find this forum very interesting and hope to learn a lot from all of you. Will keep you all posted as to my Stelvio. Also doing a P8 ECU upgrade on the Daytona this winter so will let you know how that all turns out. Installing a MYECU from Cliff in Australia.
One final comment. As Moto Guzzi owners we are the Davids not the Goliaths. We need to have faith. These always have been and are still very good bikes. Best regards to all of my fellow Guzzi owners

The vast majority of the 8V bikes haven't failed. As long as yours hasn't the cam and tappet replacement will simply be a precaution. Examine the bits that come out. If, like mine and so many others, they are fine there is probably no need to do a flush, but do it anyway.

If there IS subastantial damage I would strongly recommend pulling the timing chest and examining the oil pump. The pump is the part of the motor that gets un-filered oil. The bearings get filtered oil, the cooling oil is un-filtered. If the tappets have failed, (And it was the tappets not the cam that was the problem.) there is likely to be damage to the oil pump. Flushing will NOT mend a damaged pump.

Pete

Bill,

Welcome to the forum. Nice first post.

It sounds like you have a very aggressive dealer who wants to do right by their customers. Stick with him and he should serve you well.

What !!!

I find it hard to believe that they NEVER heard about the recall ? It has only been common knowledge for at least 6 months, But it does sound like they are doing good by you. I believe when they do the tear down and if they see any warn parts with the use that was put on the bike an oil pump inspection would be advisable. You might be one of the lucky ones and even though your VIN was in the recall range you actualy don't have any of the bad parts in the bike. New plug wires are included with the recall kit make sure you get them installed !

Good Luck

Your in for a good ride. I really am liking the Stelvio. I road over to the coast last weekend. Sitting in a small place for lunch I noticed a ground of bikes pulled into a nearby business. One of them noticed the Stelvio, and soon they were all talking and pointing and scratching there beany helmeted heads. I love confusing the 'unwashed' masses.

What they said about inspecting the pump if there is excess wear. If they have a shop bike, let them experiment on it first. :laugh:
It sounds like they have an interest in the brand. That can make a big difference in ownership while under warranty.

I'm glad to hear you got yours sorted quickly. I've been waiting since middle of May to get my cam recall done. The shop I bought from is pathetic with it's after sales.
When I bought the bike I enquired about the recall and was told it didn't need it. Then a couple of weeks later when they were processing a warranty claim for a speedo sensor they found out it was subject to the recall, and an order for the recall kit was submitted to Moto Guzzi.
At the end of July I was told the kit had arrived at the shop and asked to take the bike in ASAP, which I did the next day only to be told that the cam kit had inadvetantly been delivered to one of their other shops (the shop I bought from is part of a major group of bike shops in north west england. As I was going away for a weeks holiday within a couple of days I left the bike with them on the understanding that the recall work would be completed by the time I returned from holiday.
One week later I called the shop to be told that they still couldn't find the cam kit, at which point I told the dealer principle that perhaps they would be better just selling washing machines and refrigerators as they appeared to be totally inept at running a motorcycle shop.
About two hours later the dealer principle telephoned me saying that the cam kit had been found but the wrong one had been delivered (they had been sent the kit to be fitted to new bikes before leaving the showroom) by this time I have covered about 1500 miles. The correct parts were to be reordered and it was explained that as it was now August the Moto Guzzi parts system does not operate as the place shuts down for summer holidays so it will take a few weeks to arrive. To date nothing has come and I'm off again on holiday for two weeks, so they have booked my bike in for the work to be done on the day after I get back assuming the kit arrives.
The way things are going it'll be out of warranty before it gets done, I just hope no damage has occurred while I've been riding the bike, it certainly sounds and runs OK.
I just wish I had a decent dealer near me who really understood the bikes.

Bill: welcome here! Your bike must be a very early 2009 model to be subject to the recall, I presume. When you turn her in, you might want to ask the mechanic to check what map version you have, and have the latest (compatible) map installed if there is one.

fatal: you didn't really expect those parts to arrive on September 1st, did you? Regardless of what one might think about Guzzi closing down completely for holidays, it is more than likely they found a month's worth of parts orders and warranty requestions on their doormat. Annoying, but it's one of those things we have to live with. Just rest assured that they will step up if damage does occur to your bike.

I did ask about map upgrades and the dealer had already contacted the main Canadian distributor and was told there are none at present but there maybe a new one shortly. I was under the impression that the 2009s were not part of the recall but I suspect you are right in that mine is an early 2009. The bike appears to run fine but I'm not going to operate it until the recall work is completed. Thank you for your comments.

Hmm, they're really new to Guzzi, eh? There's no need to contact the main distributor to know if there's a map upgrade, they can check with their Axone or Navigator tool (which they need anyway to install the map, AND to perform current maintenance). I do hope they have one and know how to use it ... and am a bit perplex that the distributor didn't tell them to just check "online" with that tool!

Billd wrote:
I did ask about map upgrades and the dealer had already contacted the main Canadian distributor and was told there are none at present but there maybe a new one shortly. I was under the impression that the 2009s were not part of the recall but I suspect you are right in that mine is an early 2009. The bike appears to run fine but I'm not going to operate it until the recall work is completed. Thank you for your comments.

Bill,

Identification of the latest maps can be found here https://www.guzzitech.com/index.php?op ... 0&id=16501

All you dealer has to do in check the current map revision to see if there is an update.

Back