Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Can't hold Spot back!

Discussion in 'Spine' started by Doug Gates, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Doug Gates

Doug Gates Just got it firing!

Hello,
    It's been a few years since I frequented the guzzi board. I really only get to use my 95 Sport to get to work and back, life has filled in the rest. On my way to work this morning I pulled in the clutch but Spot was trying to drag me into the intersection. Fortunately the light changed and my path was littered with green lights the rest of the day.
    I figured it was the cable and ordered a new one. This one went on in 2000 when I got the bike as a precaution. I looked the cable over tonight and it looks as if it's ok.
    Next I'll have to dig into the lever and pushrod assy. Any thoughts, other than the obviousas to what to look for? Are these clutch actuators prone to wear?
    Good to be back!

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

If all adjustments are good, it sounds like the clutch plates have worn grooves into the clutch hub. This was common on the 2mm spline system. This is the first I have heard of it on what should be a 4mm spline bike. How may miles are on the bike?

3. Doug Gates

John, Thanks for the reply. I've got 30k miles on the old girl. The clutch seems to be delivering power to the rear wheel and I don't feel any evidence of slipping. With the lever pulled in she was creeping forward and wanted to stall so I considered that a sign that the lever was still doing something to disengage the clutch and that the clutch was working. Shifts are a little stiff but with the lever pulled I was able to carefully make shifts and find neutral when I needed to actually stop. I'm hoping I find the lever at the back of the transmission out of adjustment but was wondering if anyone had seen enough wear in the mechanism to warrant disassembly of the back plate of the transmission.
    Now that I think back (things are always obvious in hind sight!) she's been a little balky shifting up for a while now, something I attributed to the fancy shoes work demands...and the normal clunky nature of the MG transmission. Could be the clutch has been gradually not disengaging for longer than I realized.

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Hi Doug, long time, no hear. Welcome back.
    If you have no adjustment left at the back of the trans (arm), then time to go into the clutch unfortunately.

5. Doug Gates

Todd, Good to be back, Your GuzziTech sticker still elicits interest & comments and interest from the nerds where I work.
    I'm hoping I can mention your name and get preferential treatment at the factory when I travel to Italy this July!

GT-Rx® likes this.
  6. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

At 30K it would even be early for the 2mm splines to have grooves. Usual failure for them is 40 to 45K miles. Be sure the arm at the back of the gear box is close to 90 degrees or just past when the clutch lever is pulled in. This give you the most mechanical advantage. You should never have to pull the hand lever all the way in to disengage the clutch. There is an adjustment screw in the arm, but it is tricky to get to with the swing arm in place. Luckily the screw isn't slotted, but has a raised flat. The lock nut is 13mm. I use a very small crescent (adjustable) wrench for the screw.