• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Carb size for 1100 Sport

dxhall

Just got it firing!
The throttle response on my 96 1100 Sport is pretty poor, and the adjustment screws don't seem to make any difference. It acts like the carbs are too big. Has anyone tried smaller carbs on this bike? It's got the stock 40mms on it now.

I thought the carbs on my '96 were sluggish when I got it but it turned out just to be a jetting and needle position problem. I did put the lighter pull springs in too.
I really wanted to justify buying the Keihin carb setup for the Sport but it's over $1000 and the $15 jets and new springs were a lot cheaper.
I didn't like how long the throttle pull was so I did replace the stock throttle with a 1/4 turn unit from motion pro and now it can be scary quick if you want to ride angry.

The screws are for idle mixture only, they need to be reset properly or your plugs will be fouled. Has the bike been in storage? If so, clean out the carbs and make sure the pumpers are working properly. Balancing the a carbs helps response too. Let us know what works.

I thought the carbs on my '96 were sluggish when I got it but it turned out just to be a jetting and needle position problem. I did put the lighter pull springs in too.
I really wanted to justify buying the Keihin carb setup for the Sport but it's over $1000 and the $15 jets and new springs were a lot cheaper.
I didn't like how long the throttle pull was so I did replace the stock throttle with a 1/4 turn unit from motion pro and now it can be scary quick if you want to ride angry.
Hi Moto 510,
Being a while since your post, so don't suppose you still have that long pull throttle?
I don't like the short throttle pull on my Centauro conversion as it's very sensitive at slow traffic speeds & I have not seen any for sale so would be interested.
On mY 96 sport I replaced stock needle with K14 needles & jets ( forgotten the size) but it transformed her & she runs as smooth as any injected.

dxhall,

My Son and I chose a Sport 1100 (carb) as a project bike for him to work on while he was in the local Tech College Motorcycle mechanic class.

After going through all of the systems, including cleaning and adjusting the carbs, which by the way had been rebuilt with Euro spec jets, needles etc. My son found a fueling problem.

It appears the previous owner left some gas in the tank. The gas had turned to an obnoxious goo reminiscent of Molasses. Filters on both petcock were full of the obnoxious dark brown goo, restricting the flow of fuel to the carbs. Bottom line the carbs weren't getting enough fuel to keep the float bowls full enough to react to quick turns of the throttle.

He cleaned the tank with various commercially available 'environmentally friendly" chemical agents, my personal favorite POR 15 and replaced the original petcocks with manual ones.

Now, after every ride, we top off the tank add a fuel stabilizer, turn off the petcocks and run her until the she stalls.

Like Moto510 my son installed the lighter springs, I had him re-installl the original springs. The slides don't close quickly enough for me with the lighter springs.

Back