• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

CARC and sidecar

Brett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
What is the general consensus on using a CARC chassis with a side car? Is it built strong enough to handle that?

Brett

Short answer, yes. I’ve seen a few of nearly every model.

As a person with several CARC Guzzi’s and a Ural sidecar rig, I can tell you my opinion.

The CARC is more than adequate in THE REAR of a sidecar rig. However, just like the photo Robert posted, it is the FRONT END that is insufficient and gets changed out.

Telescopic forks simply are not well suited to the incredible stresses and special handling forces of a sidecar rig. Earles-style leading link front ends are much better suited to handling that type of load. You also really need an appropriate triple tree configuration.

Running a sidecar is not just bolting on a sidecar to any motorcycle and riding off into the sunset. In order to perform correctly in terms of handling and tracking in a straight line, and remaining steering neutral, the car must be aligned side by side with the motorcycle and be toe-in a few degrees as well as also cambered out away from the motorcycle a few degrees. Getting this setup correctly is no small task! It’s not easy to get a car setup properly. It takes knowledge, experience and some sensitive “butt sense” to fine tune the handling of the completed rig.

Most importantly is the understanding that sidecars are a $$$$ proposition. A properly configured sidecar rig is an EXPENSIVE setup. Period. There is no such thing as a cheap sidecar rig.

Also, be aware. Sidecar rigs handle COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than stand alone motorcycles.

I’m not kidding! COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

For example, when...not if, but when, you “fly the chair”, steering instantly switches from normal sidecar handling, back to counter-steering like on a standard motorcycle, and the second that car comes back down on the ground, the steering again immediately switches back to sidecar style handling. I’ve seen people lose control of their rigs and run right off the road across the opposing traffic lane in a second flat because they did not understand this phenomenon nor had they practiced the techniques necessary to handle this situation. It’s even worse for a left-hand mounted sidecar rig like in the UK.

When you learn to operate a sidecar, there are hours upon hours of parking lot practice maneuvers to do. You also NEED to acquire, read, and practice EVERYTHING in this book.

amazon.com/Driving-Sidecar-Outfit-David-Hough/dp/B001PQFI9G/ref=nodl_

People who think they can learn sidecar operation on the open road, CRASH badly.

I’m not sure where Edson is, but here in the USA, the guys at DMC Sidecars, are simply the definitive go-to people for anything sidecar related.

dmcsidecars.com/

Sorry for the long reply.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Watsonian Squire, I believe are the worlds longest established sidecar manufacturer/supplier so would imagine a good source of information. Hannigan Motosports (US) and EZS in Holland also.

I would never, ever, consider riding a motorcycle with a sidecar. Nor a three-wheeler such as a Can-Am. As a very old riding instructor once told me, " I would buy a convertible sports car long before I rode one of those fu#%$&@ things. At least you can put the top up if it rains".

I would never, ever, consider riding a motorcycle with a sidecar. Nor a three-wheeler such as a Can-Am. As a very old riding instructor once told me, " I would buy a convertible sports car long before I rode one of those fu#%$&@ things. At least you can put the top up if it rains".
Fully understand your sentiments, however for those that wish to remain in the motorcycling fraternity and can no longer handle two wheels either due to age, infirmity or disability, a trike or sidecar is the only option.

As I lived in Ottawa for a few decades I can say that at least you can drive a sidecar rig in the snow :) . The Hull police department
used them all year and I worked at the shop that serviced them , would take one home and ride around with my brother in the
sidecar at night ( into snow banks etc ) great fun ! Peter

The former Guzzi dealer had a URAL / Sidecar in the showroom, the guy I talked to said he took it out for a ride and was Zig-Zag-ing down the road - he said it would NOT just go straight !
You would imagine they would be aligned to be *nearly* parallel - or Slightly converging WAY down the road ?

The former Guzzi dealer had a URAL / Sidecar in the showroom, the guy I talked to said he took it out for a ride and was Zig-Zag-ing down the road - he said it would NOT just go straight !
You would imagine they would be aligned to be *nearly* parallel - or Slightly converging WAY down the road ?

Like I said...

Setting up a sidecar rig is no simple task. It takes skills and know how.

My rig tracks straight and true and brakes the exact same way.

As a person with several CARC Guzzi’s and a Ural sidecar rig, I can tell you my opinion.

The CARC is more than adequate in THE REAR of a sidecar rig. However, just like the photo Robert posted, it is the FRONT END that is insufficient and gets changed out.

Telescopic forks simply are not well suited to the incredible stresses and special handling forces of a sidecar rig. Earles-style leading link front ends are much better suited to handling that type of load. You also really need an appropriate triple tree configuration.

Running a sidecar is not just bolting on a sidecar to any motorcycle and riding off into the sunset. In order to perform correctly in terms of handling and tracking in a straight line, and remaining steering neutral, the car must be aligned side by side with the motorcycle and be toe-in a few degrees as well as also cambered out away from the motorcycle a few degrees. Getting this setup correctly is no small task! It’s not easy to get a car setup properly. It takes knowledge, experience and some sensitive “butt sense” to fine tune the handling of the completed rig.

Most importantly is the understanding that sidecars are a $$$$ proposition. A properly configured sidecar rig is an EXPENSIVE setup. Period. There is no such thing as a cheap sidecar rig.

Also, be aware. Sidecar rigs handle COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than stand alone motorcycles.

I’m not kidding! COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

For example, when...not if, but when, you “fly the chair”, steering instantly switches from normal sidecar handling, back to counter-steering like on a standard motorcycle, and the second that car comes back down on the ground, the steering again immediately switches back to sidecar style handling. I’ve seen people lose control of their rigs and run right off the road across the opposing traffic lane in a second flat because they did not understand this phenomenon nor had they practiced the techniques necessary to handle this situation. It’s even worse for a left-hand mounted sidecar rig like in the UK.

When you learn to operate a sidecar, there are hours upon hours of parking lot practice maneuvers to do. You also NEED to acquire, read, and practice EVERYTHING in this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Driving-Sidecar-Outfit-David-Hough/dp/B001PQFI9G/ref=nodl_

People who think they can learn sidecar operation on the open road, CRASH badly.

I’m not sure where Edson is, but here in the USA, the guys at DMC Sidecars, are simply the definitive go-to people for anything sidecar related.

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/

Sorry for the long reply.

Hope this helps.

I have a friend who just picked his rig up from DMC in July. He shipped is 955 Tiger up there, they built a custom frame and mounted a Ural car to it. His original plan was then for he and his wife to fly up then ride through Canada to Alaska and then home to Sonora. Of course that all changed but their ride home was still an adventure. He had a hack before so was somewhat prepared for the riding dynamics, biggest problem was that his stator took a dump on the Tiger. His fix was to just buy an extra car battery and charger, bungeed the battery to the car and then charged it up every night. He still needs that stator fixed but it was shipped to a friend in the US and he hasn't gotten around to getting back up North to pick it up.

I think I can safely guess that you've never driven (ridden?) a Sidecar Outfit Raven?

No, they make zero sense on paper (excepting the physical reasons that RG mentioned).
You're exposed to the elements like you are on a Solo Bike, yet you have to sit in traffic with all the car-driving muppets.
However, a couple of minutes riding one round an empty car-park about 30 years ago changed my mind, they're an absolute blast, at any speed!

As to the original post, I was under the impression that Guzzi specifically advise (strongly) against having a 'fixed' Sidecar on their CARC Bikes.

A leaner might be a good option, as they put no real extra loading on the Swing-Arm.
Rides like a Solo, similar carrying capacity.

I just put a deposit on a 2021 V7 Centenario. I am waiting for the shop to receive their new Guzzi shipment.
I am planning on getting a leaner sidecar for mine.... Once I convince someone to sell or rent me a parking spot in our condo parkade. As I wont be able to just park the bike behind my car anymore.

This is the sleek sidecar model I am going to get for my V7.
Screenshot 20210411 082235

I'd like to know how this guy is getting on with his Outfit.
If anything is going to test the strength of the CARC/Swing-Arm Assembly, it's this, particularly with that Car Wheel and Tyre on it . . .

WaspStelvio

WaspStelvio1

WaspStelvio2

Hi Scott.
I know that's an old post now, but do you mean you have (or had) a CARC Guzzi with a Sidecar, or is (was) it just the Ural Outfit.

I'd be interested to see details of how a Car Wheel is fitted to the CARC Unit.
I've never measured the PCD of the Hub, but I'd be surprised (happily surprised) if it matched any of the standard car sizes.

Back