• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

CARC Output seal leak

Try Skf;
61917 -- 1010021917
Primary Bearing Category Radial Ball Bearing
Type Conrad / Deep Groove
Design Units Metric
Bore 3.3465 inch
Outside Diameter 4.7244 inch
Notes Deep groove ball bearings, single row

should be availiable from any good bearing supplier. The seal I asume isa standard vee seal, rubber encased metal witha spring shape retainer, also freely availiable.

Bearimg Services Limited (BSL) are the leaders in the UK, main depot is Halesowem , Brum, but have depots around the UK.
If you have trouble call me, no probs.

Just another data point: At our shop (Moto Intl. in Seattle), we've seen several seals go on 30,000-ish mile bikes on which the bearing was just fine.

If you buy the 61917 2rs 0r zz they are sealed bearings. Maybe worth a try for longer life. Remember to fill the seal, (85x110x10) with grease, and pop out the inner seal of the bearingto allow oil into the bearing. The outer seal on the bearing is left to double up. We do it on industrial gearboxes all the time.

Greg thanks for a dealers opinion, it is what happened to my bike. We need some helpful US dealers here in the UK. Our dealers are to expensive. The main crank output seal is similar to the carc output seal. I think my crank seal is leaking oil. The price from a London dealer to replace

Gary and Loftyjohn
Thanks indeed for the data etc.
do have BSL here in Bury (BSE)
At least i know what to look for now.

Hells Bells thanks for the Italiano Rusky tie up photo.
I can see the italian won. bigger lump of metal. lol.

Nel i hope things get sorted allroight.

Cheers
Steve
BSE - anglo saxon country

Greg Field wrote:
Just another data point: At our shop (Moto Intl. in Seattle), we've seen several seals go on 30,000-ish mile bikes on which the bearing was just fine.

Good bit of info Greg, thanks. Course, if you see this leaking I assume you must check the bearing just to be sure for both safety & expense reasons, but reassuring to know that a leak coming from CARC is not necessarily a sign of bad bearing.

Thanks Gary for that bearing information.
First time I have been back in 6 weeks since I started this thread.
After replacing my seal the new one is not leaking yet. I have done about 1500 miles. Have checked for play every week with wheel on centre stand but can feel nothing. Im hoping this is a seal problem and nothing more.

Thanks to Greg Field and that sounds reassuring,
Just another data point: At our shop (Moto Intl. in Seattle), we've seen several
seals go on 30,000-ish mile bikes on which the bearing was just fine.

Monitoring the thread in case some members have more information in time.
Nigel

The seal on my 05 Breva leaked a couple of thousand mile ago so i changed it and checked for play in the bearing, all good.
A couple of days back i checked again and there is a gnats todger of play while rocking from top to bottom, so i'm hunting round for a new bearing and seal too!
Bikes done 20K miles and the black dust seal is fitted.

Yes, its a shame but i'll be doing the job myself so ill know its been done properly, with a decent bearing.
For peace of mind thats got to be worth it. :)

Rob, the bearing shouldn't be hard to find. Todd posted the # up a while back. I've got one in my spares stock I can hunt it out for you tomorrow if you want. Much cheaper than the preposterously priced Guzzi seal is the BMW one which is 1mm deeper but works fine.

I did do a write-up on CARC disassembley and bearing replacement once but I'll be buggered if I can remember where it was. You want I do it again or are you happy to wing it? It isn't a big job but it DOES require a bit of care.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I've had a look for it but couldn't find it so if you could put it up again i'd be grateful.
A few phone calls to bearing suppliers has got me a SKF bearing for

Back