• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cardellino 65 Spec help

Grand Prix Classics

Just got it firing!
Hi, I'm building a Cardellino 65 with the cast iron cylinder.
I have purchased a piston that is 1mm over,
but the machine shop needs cylinder to piston clearances.
I only can find rebuild specs for a cardellino 73 and they are in Italian!
Not sure if the clearances would be the same as I believe that the 73 has an aluminum cylinder with
a steel liner. Any body able to help with this?

I am a little bit amazed your machine shop can't give you some advice - it is not going to be a lot different than any lopo two stroke air-cooled cast motor of the same bore which any old machine shop has encountered thousands of times. I'd find an old guy who has rebuilt a lot of small two strokes. Really an old lawn boy and a Cardellino are not that different - both are air-cooled, cast liners and run at full throttle pretty much all day.

I looked through the original users manual (in italian) and it doesn't mention a clearance that I can see. If you have a link to the rebuild specs I can translate.

The rule of thumb when I was building two strokes was 1 thou per inch was generous - inmost cases I used .8 of a thou unless someone who knew told me otherwise. There are a few variables specific to the bike here such as whether the piston was cam ground or not - maybe not given the vintage which would mean a touch more clearance, the wall thickness of the liner and how and where you are running it -ie high ambient temps, high/low alt, city traffic. The rule of thumb work fine with H2s, RD400 , RD350LCs and TZ750s

My guess would be given a bore of 42mm, 1.6 thou would be generous and a little over a thou would be optimal.

In my experience machine shops usually go overboard in their clearances as they get more customer complaints from seizures than engines that wear out prematurely due to overly generous tolerances. I usually had to bend the arm of the machine shop to get the tolerance as tight as I wanted.

I've never actually had a seizure with a two stroke - scoring due to wide clearances yes.
I always assembled dry after I found the rings bedded in a lot more quickly and the cylinder tends not to glaze.

I also mix the leanest mix recommended by the oil manufacturer as detonation is promoted by oil which itself produces overheating and then seizure in a racing two stroke.

You have a tiddler so you can ignore this and just enjoy it for what it is. I'd love a Cardellino.

Back