RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Centauro that has sat for years?

Discussion in 'Spine' started by 56Steve, Dec 12, 2018.

1. 56Steve

56Steve Just got it firing!

Is there a non oem fuel filter that can be used? I figure there has to be some 10 year old gas in the one on the bike.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Not that I know of. Looks like the same one used on the Quota.

3. Bigbear

Bigbear Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm sure Todd can supply one - you are lucky to have such a dedicated patriarch.
    The one on mine is a Weber - quite large - a benefiet to healthy running, & placed out front helps cooling.
    One other thing is check the fuel tap tank filter, the one in mine wouldn't have been amiss on scooter!
    I have fitted a Mk5 one which is quite long & better quality. The Centauro tap has a smaller thread for it however.
    Find a bicycle pump nozzle ( small male thread with knurled top & fine tubular needle striking out of it - used to blow up footballs etc ) they have the same thread & are long enuf to protrude out of the tap. Break the fine nozzel off & drill apropriate same I.d. As the nozzel & then screw it in, the knurled end will fit snugly inside the Mk5 filter stem & the Mk5 tap washer has the same I.d. as the filter, so when pushed over the filter it is held snugly on the fitting & tightening the tap into the tank squeezes the filter in the washer to ensure it is held firm.
    I Have just completed my 2 year Centauro to 992 Sport conversion - Yahoooooo so with a few minor items I will get to enjoy it during our summer.
    I will try & post a build event with pics ASAP
    One thing I have learnt - it's not the build, but the details!!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

scottmastrocinque and GT-Rx® like this.
  4. 56Steve

56Steve Just got it firing!

Nice work. The sports where such great looking bikes. To bad the ergos don't work for me.

5. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

Well, I have owned 2 Centauro's in my lifetime and still have my 1997. I have replaced almost everything on the bike that wears, (i.e. brakes, lines, rubbers, etc) and have virtually every factory special tool needed to work on the engine, so if you need a picture or a question, I can probably help.

I've been waiting for spring to yank my engine and replace the aluminum gears and factory oil pump with the much better replacement units from Joe in England. With the proper tools, the job is not overly insane, but I cannot imagine doing it on the garage floor with just general tools. Insane if you ask me.

I love my 2012 Stelvio and every other Moto Guzzi I have owned as well, however, I ADORE my Centauro! I am definitely a Centauristi!

It is BY FAR, the most wonderful motorcycle (to me), that I have ever owned in my life and I've owned just about everything.

Is it perfection?, Hell No! It's a hairy chested monstrosity and a beast to work on. Parts are often times hard to find and $$$$$ (think $650 headlight, I'm not kidding, if you can find one!). I searched for months to locate what I believe are the last OEM brand new set of factory mirrors in a tiny obscure shop in Germany and had to pay over $300 US to buy them, but I was glad to get them! It's a madness, for sure.

It is the very incarnation of what is meant when people say 'Guzzi are quirky..." It unexpectedly and randomly, burps, farts, and snores but when I open her up, and the power pulses start singing through the custom twin Mistral 50mm wide open pipes....well, that's a symphony like no other motorcycle in the world.

I've been working very hard to get mine dialed in as perfect as I can get it. My youngest son already knows that I am leaving it to him upon my death, and he can display it as art, or actually ride the thing. He'll hopefully do both!

So, welcome to the club. If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Scott Mastrocinque
    419-581-0274
    Findlay, Ohio

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0Emio-GpUHC1XbAHNZ-p0stow#Centauro_1

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0Dr8q1mpVzp1UD_fGbhgkPTQw#Centauro_2

1910381_1108545707692_8054615_n.jpg 21 years ago, and it's AMAZING, I haven't changed a bit! :giggle:

1910381_1108546467711_4772681_n.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    john zibell likes this.
  6. Blaufeld

Blaufeld Tuned and Synch'ed

Since I started to ride, I've always tought that the Centauro is the proverbial "sex on wheels" bike!!!

7. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

Agreed!

FWIW: I know a nice gentleman on another site, who mounted saddlebags on his Centauro! :( It's his only bike and I kind of understand that people have to do what makes them happy, but he didn't get the humor in this graphic I made for him... I think it's self-explanatory. :rofl:

backside.jpg

Blaufeld, Trout, john zibell and 2 others like this.
  8. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

I put red 18 liter Krausers on my MkV LeMans. I would go to rallies and travel with it and had to put stuff somewhere. The small bags don't detract much from the looks but are functional.

scottmastrocinque likes this.