RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Centurion TPS reset problem with V7 classic

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by ds99, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ds99

ds99 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

ok, I've emailed Todd about this, but I thought I would post on here to see if anyone has this problem, or anything similar

The bike is a 2011 V7 classic, here in the UK.

Todd did a re-flash on the ECU, that seemed to improve the low-revs power delivery, made it smoother under 3,000 RPM.

I bought the Centurion software in order to reset the TPS

Firstly, on the V7 you have to choose "install older versions" in order for the software to work. After some time on the phone to technoresearch I got the software working.

The problem is the TPS reset does not work. The TPS figure reads 3.0, I do the reset, and it count downs from 10, it hangs at 1 for a few seconds, then says "ECU not responding", with "FAIL" at the bottom. I tried it a few times, tried resetting the computer etc.

Then I discover than if I advance the throttle slightly (using the 'choke' lever on the left hand side of the handlebars) so the TPS reads 4.2 then the TPS reset works fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or anything similar?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

If your bike is using the 15RC ECU you need to be looking at the channel Alphalin_0. Use the pull downs to change TPS to Alphalin_0. The TPS reading won't change if you look at "TPS"

3. ds99

i am not corncered about the TPS number, the problem is the TPS reset procedure keeps failing unless I do it with the throttle slightly open.

4. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Try reading it with a voltmeter instead. Perhaps the TPS has a dirty spot right where the idle setting is. This should show up on the voltmeter. Contact cleaner may help.

5. ds99

err, where exactly do i put the voltmeter?

6. ds99

do i put it on the throttle sensor? if so, where is that?

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Across the TPS itself. There are three wires, one is +5v, one 0v (chassis) and the other is the variable voltage produced by the wiper position. If you can't identify which is which from the colour code and a wiring diagram, just try any two until you see the voltage changing.

I use sewing needles slipped down beside the wires as they enters the TPS itself to gain contact to these wires without removing any insulation. Others read the voltage where they connect to the ECU, but my clumsy fingers may cause damage if I start rooting around in this area.

8. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Before you go through all of that, does the Cent-S show a steady increase in degrees starting from idle? If so, also check the fault codes on the ECU with Centurion. If it shows no errors, it's not an issue.

9. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

That's why I'm suggesting the voltmeter, Todd. It seems that the Centurion is getting upset at the idle setting of the TPS, and might not give a reliable indication. The voltmeter should not be affected by this.

Just my $0.02c.

10. GT-Rx®

Dave, understood, but Centurion should flag a faulty reading at idle if that's the case.

11. ds99

I will check the software for any fault codes tomorrow

can someone tell me where exactly the TPS is, in case i need to check the voltage?

12. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

TPS will be on one of your throttle bodies, a black plastic thingy with wires attached.

13. john zibell

14. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Just thinking aloud, can the TPS be reset with Centurion with this model? I ask because I found with the California Vintage with a IAW15RC ECU, Centurion will read the value but the reset has to be done manually by rotating the TPS after loosening its retaining screws.

Perhaps a 2001 V7 classic is the same? I thought the Breva 1100 in 2005 was the first bike that the TPS could be reset electronically.

I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong!

15. GT-Rx®

TPS is on the top of the left side throttle body.

image.jpg

16. ds99

sorry all, typing error. it's a 2011 model V7

17. ds99

I am going to try setting the software to display the Alphalin_0 value when doing the TPS reset and see of that makes the reset procedure not result in a "FAIL".

18. john zibell

On the 750s, the TPS is fixed and cannot be moved.

19. ds99

ok, here's an update.

I open and closed the throttle when the engine was off, the TPS responded normally, no lags, or skips

I configured Centurion so that it displays Alfalin_0 - tried the TPS reset - it would still give me a "FAIL" until I opened the throttle very slightly, then I would get a "PASS"

Here are some screenshots. I've no idea where to go from here.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

ENGINE OFF - THROTTLE CLOSED:

off_throttle_closed.jpg

ENGINE OFF - THROTTLE HALF OPEN:

off_throttle_half.jpg

ENGINE OFF - THROTTLE FULLY OPEN:

off_throttle_full.jpg

ENGINE RUNNING AT IDLE:

idle.jpg

ENGINE RUNNING, THROTTLE INCREASED TO APPROX 3,600 RPM:

idle_3600_rpm.jpg

20. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Looks like your TPS has been set correctly.

I say RIDE IT.