• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Charcoal Canister Removal - Detailed with Pictures

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
I removed my charcoal canister and I can tell you that the results were outstanding. My idle is normalized and my running is significantly improved. Most importantly, my fuel tank no longer pressurizes when it is in the sunlight.

***Words to the wise - I provide this for your information to use at your own discretion, and you alone are responsible for anything you decide to do to your own motorcycle. I STRONGLY suggest that you have a large table/working surface in order to lay out each part and it's associated nuts and bolts in a logical order which you can understand in order to reassemble it when you are done removing the canister. If you are foolish enough to simply just put the nuts and bolts all willy-nilly in a pile, please don't blame me if you cannot get it back together. Also, if you are not confident to decide how tight to tighten nuts and bolts based upon what they are holding, then DON'T DO THIS as you will probably crack fairing parts. Still confident you can do this? Fair enough... Good, let's begin. :D

***Note: As you will be removing the tank during this adventure, the less fuel you have in the tank for this procedure, the better. I would not do this on a full 8.5 gallon fuel tank! ;)

Attachments

• Stelvio-EvapCan-Removal.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,024
Thanks for that information!

So glad we don't have that fitted to our Euro Stelvio's! :shock:

Great job detailing the the fairing and and tank removal, I might need it for future reference. However, I have accomplished the same thing (removing the canister) with just the speedometer panel removed and left the redundant air hose under the tank. I will deal with this hose when some other job requires tank removal.

Thank you. I hope people can use this.

Overall running of bike is markedly much improved. :D Yes, I did both a TB balancing and a TPS reset. I have the Centurion software and cable, and a Carbmate and a MotionPro Mercury Balancer.

That's great Lumas. I was shooting in the dark when I did mine. I guess I shortened the vacuum line to within six inches of the tee and plugged it. Would there be any point in me fishing it out and reconnecting across as you have done? I am travelling and on the road but I am equipped to do it. Even brought the pieces of hose I took out. Also, I didn't run the main back to the front but removed all that excess and ran it directly down by the center stand. But, one of the questions I have been posing here is what exactly that check valve does. Mine is still in place and I was wondering if it was safe to gun it. You say it's a tipover valve. So, with it removed will the fuel come out?

An excellent informative post. Have you considered publishing a workshop manual for the Stelvio? This is better than a Clymer or Haynes manual.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Outstanding DIY write-up. :D Any chance of publishing that to a pdf document? I'd sincerely appreciate getting a copy if you do.

Thank you for your kind words. It was a very large project but nevertheless, a labor of love. I hope that it is helpful to my fellow Guzzisti.

At your request, I have created a PDF but it is 14.4MB in size and I don't know how to get it to people for free. I will be sending an email to Todd to see if GuzziTech can host the file somehow. I'll post as soon as I hear back.

Thanks again

- Scott

Very nicely done! Great Photos. I wonder if dealers outside of California will remove it for you?

scottmastrocinque said:
Well, I think I found a free site to host the Charcoal Canister Removal PDF. It's a 14MB file and the download is supposed to be for free. This is the only way I have so far to make the PDF available.

Try this link.

http://sharesend.com/nkrej

Please, let me know if you get the PDF and that it is readable!

I tried it and it worked for me so keeping my fingers crossed for you! :D

Worked like a charm! A huge "Thank You" for doing this. I'm not a Stelvio owner - yet, but the Stelvio is at the top of a very short list of bikes that I'm evaluating for my next ride (I'm on an '07 Yamaha FJR1300 now). DIY guides like yours and the Valve Adjustment Procedure by leafman60 are absolutely crucial to my decision-making process and - I think, will help drive Stelvio ownership by taking off the table the biggest concern that many potential buyers have about Moto Guzzi on the whole: lack a of credible dealer network in comparison to many other brands. Having a factory service manual is great, but it's these DIY guides produced by actual owners that really build confidence.

Thanks again!

Outstanding! Thank you for putting in the effort to describe the proceedure.

tremendous write up. thanks for sharing. betty crocker's got nuthin' on you.

seriously, well done.

FIM

gdp said:
...so...on my 09 (A5)....I'll enjoy smoother,quicker if I take it off...?

Did you read what I wrote in the first paragraph?

"My idle is normalized and my running is significantly improved. Most importantly, my fuel tank no longer pressurizes when it is in the sunlight."

This IS NOT a performance issue. This is a rideability issue. When the Evaporative Emissions stuff works correctly, it is believed by the engineers that it does not affect running. However, in the real world, often times, these systems are made of the cheapest components and can cause problems with idling and throttle response from idle, as well as built up pressure within the fuel tank.

Personally, my motorcycle is much better off without it, however, this is a personal choice and by no means do I wish to be confused as saying that everyone should do this to their bike. For me, it was without a doubt, an excellent decision.

flatironmike said:
tremendous write up. thanks for sharing. betty crocker's got nuthin' on you.

seriously, well done.

FIM

Thank you. You are very kind. I hope people find it helpful.

- Scott

Back