• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Charging system ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwn306

High Miler
Before I consider a Moto Guzzi any further I need some more information on the electrical system.

I ride all year (daily commute is 140 miles) with electric clothing and gloves and the wife and I do it 2 up.

I need 280 watts to run the clothes, Moto Guzzi's web site claims the Norge and Stelvio both have a 550 watt charging system.

Subtract 280 watts from the 550 watts and that leaves 270 watts.....will either bike run on 270 watts (i.e., lights, ignition, computer....drive down the road without it dying or killing the battery?)

I have a similar thread going on the Norge section of Guzzitech as well. I could be wrong but I am thinking the ABS (additional electric draw) will be the back breaker on that bike.

Right now I drive a HD Ultra Classic that produces 600 watts @ anything over 2K rpm's. Does anyone know at what rpm's the 550 watts kicks in?

Thank you for your time in advance,

Kurt Nordstrom
Spotsylvania, VA

Hi Kurt,
I can't answer your electrical problems, but I can assure you that the Stelvio is up to hard commuting, I've used mine for work ,loaded with tools, 10 000 miles in 5 months. Getting cold now, I got heated grips and jacket. Givi are doing a taller screen which will be good. I traded in a 1550 HD Ultra glide classic for my Guzzi. When the salted roads come I'm on to My ST1100 Pan European.

The older fuel injected Guzzi's have a smaller crankshaft speed alternator, at 350 watts at >3500 RPM. At high RPM, it would run my entire system and two 80 watt electric vests. It I turned on my 35 watt each (70 watts) of driving lights, that was it. It would keep up, but if I slowed down, it would not get that charge back in the battery. So from that math, the basic fuel injection, pump, coils, lights, etc., uses close to 100 watts, my vests 160, and the lights 70, for a rough total of 350.

So, the injection and lighting is roughly 100, you are adding 280 (that is a bunch, must be heated leg warmers too) that is 380 total. That should give you roughly 170 watts of reserve AT SPEED.

I have NOT seen info on the newer alternator related to the output current and the RPM, but, the old alternator was limited to crank speed. The new one is belt driven, so the RPM should be improved.

And the accumulator pump in the ABS is not running full time, so that should not be an issue.

Could someone merge this thread with the other ("Norge Electrical capacity" from the N/B/S tech section) into the general tech section? I think the discussion applies to all newer (vs. older) Guzzis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back