Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Check, check, check your motorcycle. Please!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by scottmastrocinque, Nov 7, 2020.

1. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

I see a lot of things here in my workshop but in my whole life, I have never seen such a sight!

This motorcycle belongs to a new customer of mine.

The customer was completely unaware of this deadly situation. It would seem that the previous "mechanics" that worked on this motorcycle also missed this!

Are you kidding me?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Folks!!!

You ABSOLUTELY MUST look at your motorcycle carefully EACH AND EVERY TIME BEFORE YOU RIDE IT. Look it over carefully and check for issues with your tires, wheels, cables, controls, fuel lines, etc.

I despise the current trend of "Legacy Brands" to manufacturer their tires in China or South America. As far as I am concerned, the tires made in those places are pure garbage.

I used to love Metzler motorcycle tires when they were actually made in Germany. They were first quality tires. This rear tire, a Brazilian made Metzler tire HAS COME COMPLETELY APART in more places than I can begin to count!

The fact that this tire did not explode while being ridden is truly a miracle! My customer must have a group of guardian angels on his shoulders.

Please, don't just wait until you bring your motorcycle to a mechanic in order to have it looked over. You must look over it every time you ride it! It only takes a minute or two and the life you save could very well be your own!

Be safe and enjoy life!

Scott

389BAE01-BBAE-4BA6-8D0C-07DDD4777419.jpeg

E6127696-0144-4C41-8AD4-7251E0DA94BB.jpeg

6DE9FA1D-F2E4-4325-A35C-F66066DF225B.jpeg

73B6C92F-2C4A-4DC8-8041-9231D92F96CF.jpeg

F8BB5D9F-5226-4112-8D5D-A08554367A82.jpeg

E8526CB8-4B7C-42D8-97C6-640B9F8933A3.jpeg

AE3616ED-076B-4A02-BC58-C8A2FCA3998B.jpeg

2. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Looks new, or hardly used.
    Owner should go back to whoever sold it and complain.

3. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Not sure about the age. True, it has hardly any miles on it for sure.

The tire could in fact be an older tire but my point was that riders must look their own motorcycles over and not blindly trust somebody else to do it for them.

That tire has come apart completely around the entire circumference. You can see it with the naked eye, clear as daylight.

It could have killed my customer easily.

john zibell likes this.
  4. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

Scott,

Thanks for the "heads up". It is easy to get "lazy" and not inspect your bike before a ride.

scottmastrocinque and Mayakovski like this.
  5. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

What's the date stamp say Scott?
    Seems to be inline with the big brand names attempt to be competitive with the cheap-cheap tire market. Really disappointing to say the least. I've been trying to hard to buy Made in the USA Dunlops. Hard to do.
    Great post... even if it catches one person here from getting hurt... good on you. ;)

scottmastrocinque and Mayakovski like this.
  6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Just got it firing!

It was definitely on the verge of chunking apart. As a minimum, I check tires and look for fuel leaks before every ride. I think it was all those old Brit bikes that got me in the habit...

Moto-Uno and scottmastrocinque like this.