• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Chewed spark plug

Murraydali

Just got it firing!
Hi,

I have an '81 Lemans 2 with 88 mm barrels (iron liners) and pistons. I have owned it for about 6 months, but have put very few miles on it getting it ready for registration. The heads and barrels were recently off to replace the base gaskets, which the previous owner had installed wrongly so the oil return passages were blocked... (So it was smoking badly and fouling plugs). The bores, pistons and heads were all in sound condition and no evident problems. Once everything was buttoned up again it was running a treat.

I just replaced the oil fouled plugs with new NGK BP7ES - from researching this forum and others the consensus view seems to these are the best for the application. I did note the old plugs were NGK BP6HS. Prior to installing the new plugs I noted the reach of the plugs was an extra 4mm. This gave me pause for concern so I started and idled the bike, then revved it a few times before shutting down and pulling the plugs for inspection.

The left hand plug was damaged. The ground electrode had been biffed and was pushed against the central electrode - not badly chewed, but a couple of minor hits. I'm assuming the increased reach of the plug has put it into contact with valves (or piston?).

I re-installed the BP6HS plugs and the bike seems fine, with no ill effects.

I would welcome views from you why the BP7ES plugs clearly don't work in my bike. These plugs seem to be the accepted standard for this model.

Thanks
Paul

I don't know Dan. I'm assuming it was valves that biffed the plug, rather than the piston. Seemed the previous owner (who's unfortunately no longer around) knew enough to install different plugs...

Edit - actually valves doesn't make any sense Dan. It must be the piston..

That's weird.

Either the bike's squish is exceedingly tight - I run 40 thou which is quite tight and have never had a problem - usually when it is that tight valve clearance becomes the problem. Or non oem piston were fitted (The mark 2 came with nicasils - way better than iron bores) or for some reason the sparkplug holes were incorrectly machined - also unlikely.

I'd think about claying the piston to check what clearances you have.

If you want to use the 7ES you can get indexing washers at any hot rod shop.

Silly question, but the thread height and ground electrode height are the same between the two? It sure doesn't sound like it.

I think you'll find the E means extended reach, so the electrode protrudes further.

I suspect piston clearance, could be from different pistons or the barrels could have been machined. Stick what works for the bike. BTW I think 7 might be a little cool for a Tonti, I seem to recall using 6 in all mine, my LM1 uses the 6

Back