• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Chicken strips

stromcat

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I was wondering the other day,how come I can get almost to the edge of the rear tyre on my Stelvio and on most of my previous bikes,but nowhere near the edge of the front tyre? Is there a reason for this? Just seems odd.

Chicken strips? What are these chicken strips you speak of? :evil: :D Maybe different profile tires on the front and rear?

Indeed it has everything to do with tire profiles.

stromcat said:
I was wondering the other day,how come I can get almost to the edge of the rear tyre on my Stelvio and on most of my previous bikes,but nowhere near the edge of the front tyre? Is there a reason for this? Just seems odd.
Its about tire profiles. I only get to the edges of the front tires on my sports bikes (GSXR1000 and 1198s Ducati) on the race track.Could probably get there on the road but I save the knee dragging and the lean angles it generates for the track.
Look at the difference in cross sectional profile between the front and rear tires.The rear is a much flatter cross section and therefore gets to the edge earlier than the front.At extreme angles of lean the rear contact patch is deflecting as the front tire reaches its edge.
You have to be doing silly things on public roads generally to get this to happen.
Ciao

No, not only for turning ease, the rear has to withstand and transfer the force applied to the pavement. The more hp the bigger the rear tire. The Rokon is an exception, it has two wheel drive.

Not familiar with the Stelvio, its wheel sizes, tyre widths and profiles. Off road is a different environment.

However, in the normal World of 180/55 x 17 rear and 120/70 x 17 front, the rear will have a height of 99mm and the front a height of 84mm (approx. - theoretically). Go draw yourself some pictures and you will see the contours are damn near identical (the 2 arcs will run parrallel).

So theoretically you would think they would use the same peice of rubber (contact patch angle) when cornering.
A wider "chicken strip" on the front can be (and I did say "CAN BE") an indication of too much sag in the rear suspension, or the rear ride height needs to be raised.

Caution needs to be applied here, too much can create nervous steering (tank slappers), and it is prudent to have more front end grip than rear. Most people can deal with rear slides but not many can handle a front end lose.
Simonchelli kept his cool but it still cost his life.

"Chicken strips" are the areas of unused tire ("tyre" for many of our members) towards the edge. It's a sport bike term mostly, but refers to the fact that the rider / owner of the bike apparently doesn't lean into corners enough, and thus is a "chicken." The more you lean the bike over, e.g. more aggressive the angle, the more of that last bit of surface you use. So it gets scuffed up like the rest of the tire, and you don't have two big stripes of brand new tire surface.

As stated above, for most street tires on most bikes you would have to be doing all kinds of not really safe things on a public road to get to the point of having a fully worn rear and front tire. There is, even for really good riders who love to lean over, some amount of non-worn tire on a street (read: not used on the track) bike. I'd refer to it is a "going to ride another day strip" myself.

I'm not the most aggressive rider, mostly, and have huge 190s on the back of Triumph Speed Triple... there is about a 1/4" area not worn on that tire on either side and an even smaller area not worn on the front tire. The only time I had a tire near that big which was worn right to the very edge was when I asked Todd ride my R1 to safety check my suspension adjustments. I have a BMW 1150RT-P that I tilt over to damn near the rims and grind the crash bars, it's a very narrow tire an the bike is very high centered. The tire has a completely different profile as well.

If you see a tire that is worn so far to the edge that it looks a bit melted / worn then that is most likely a former track tire that they bought for cheap, or the bike might have been used on the track. You don't normally hit angles or speeds high enough on public roads to get that...

Back