Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Chicken strips

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stromcat, Apr 17, 2012.

1. stromcat

stromcat Cruisin' Guzzisti

I was wondering the other day,how come I can get almost to the edge of the rear tyre on my Stelvio and on most of my previous bikes,but nowhere near the edge of the front tyre? Is there a reason for this? Just seems odd.

2. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Chicken strips? What are these chicken strips you speak of? :evil: :D Maybe different profile tires on the front and rear?

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Indeed it has everything to do with tire profiles.

4. lucky phil

lucky phil Cruisin' Guzzisti

Its about tire profiles. I only get to the edges of the front tires on my sports bikes (GSXR1000 and 1198s Ducati) on the race track.Could probably get there on the road but I save the knee dragging and the lean angles it generates for the track.
    Look at the difference in cross sectional profile between the front and rear tires.The rear is a much flatter cross section and therefore gets to the edge earlier than the front.At extreme angles of lean the rear contact patch is deflecting as the front tire reaches its edge.
    You have to be doing silly things on public roads generally to get this to happen.
    Ciao

5. stromcat

stromcat Cruisin' Guzzisti

Ok,I can see why the different profiles would lead to this situation- but why the different profiles? Is it just because the front has to turn?

6. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

No, not only for turning ease, the rear has to withstand and transfer the force applied to the pavement. The more hp the bigger the rear tire. The Rokon is an exception, it has two wheel drive.

7. ghezzi

ghezzi High Miler GT Contributor

Not familiar with the Stelvio, its wheel sizes, tyre widths and profiles. Off road is a different environment.

However, in the normal World of 180/55 x 17 rear and 120/70 x 17 front, the rear will have a height of 99mm and the front a height of 84mm (approx. - theoretically). Go draw yourself some pictures and you will see the contours are damn near identical (the 2 arcs will run parrallel).

So theoretically you would think they would use the same peice of rubber (contact patch angle) when cornering.
    A wider "chicken strip" on the front can be (and I did say "CAN BE") an indication of too much sag in the rear suspension, or the rear ride height needs to be raised.

Caution needs to be applied here, too much can create nervous steering (tank slappers), and it is prudent to have more front end grip than rear. Most people can deal with rear slides but not many can handle a front end lose.
    Simonchelli kept his cool but it still cost his life.

8. falcor

falcor Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

"Chicken strips" are the areas of unused tire ("tyre" for many of our members) towards the edge. It's a sport bike term mostly, but refers to the fact that the rider / owner of the bike apparently doesn't lean into corners enough, and thus is a "chicken." The more you lean the bike over, e.g. more aggressive the angle, the more of that last bit of surface you use. So it gets scuffed up like the rest of the tire, and you don't have two big stripes of brand new tire surface.

As stated above, for most street tires on most bikes you would have to be doing all kinds of not really safe things on a public road to get to the point of having a fully worn rear and front tire. There is, even for really good riders who love to lean over, some amount of non-worn tire on a street (read: not used on the track) bike. I'd refer to it is a "going to ride another day strip" myself.

I'm not the most aggressive rider, mostly, and have huge 190s on the back of Triumph Speed Triple... there is about a 1/4" area not worn on that tire on either side and an even smaller area not worn on the front tire. The only time I had a tire near that big which was worn right to the very edge was when I asked Todd ride my R1 to safety check my suspension adjustments. I have a BMW 1150RT-P that I tilt over to damn near the rims and grind the crash bars, it's a very narrow tire an the bike is very high centered. The tire has a completely different profile as well.

If you see a tire that is worn so far to the edge that it looks a bit melted / worn then that is most likely a former track tire that they bought for cheap, or the bike might have been used on the track. You don't normally hit angles or speeds high enough on public roads to get that...