• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cleaning the throttle bodies

AlanNZ

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Can the TBs be cleaned in situ from the intake end or do they need to be removed? I couldn't find a "how to" post on TB cleaning.
Alan NZ

While you can remove them for cleaning, which is not a small job, they can be cleaned insitu as long as you have a cleaner that has a long enough straw on the end of the nozzle. I use Seafoam spray that has 12" (or so) straw nozzle. I go through the air box. You just need to make sure the end of the straw is about 1/2" from the butterfly valve in the throttle body so takes some guiding of the straw.
I spray each throttle body about 5 or six time at about 1800 RPM just to the point of almost stalling. I then turn off the bike and spray about 5 seconds into each TB and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then start the bike and watch the smoke show for a couple of minutes. Then go for a ride and blow any remaining crap out.

Last edited:
Thanks Canuck. I assumed cleaning was done with the engine switched off with a carby cleaner.

Thanks Canuck. I assumed cleaning was done with the engine switched off with a carby cleaner.
It can be, but with the engine running it helps to draw in the cleaner and surround the TB and then go into your combustion chamber so make sure the engine is warm when you do it. Seafoam will also clean out carbon deposits from your combustion chamber so a warm engine helps it do its job better.
Keep a good handle on the straw so you don't end up loosing it in the TB's. If you are so inclinded, you can remove the air box to get a better view of the TB's. Once you do that you will see the TB valves and can clean it that way. I have not yet had to remove the air box but from what I hear it is easy to take out but a pain in the butt to put back in so I avoid the whole senario.

On my 1200 Sport I found the crud in the throttle bodies really needed scrubbing to get it all out. A simple spray was not enough.
I have no idea how the airbox of the Stelvio is to remove as compared to the 1200 Sport. In the end I'm glad I went to the effort as so much stuff was built up behind as well as in front of the throttle plate.

On my 1200 Sport I found the crud in the throttle bodies really needed scrubbing to get it all out. A simple spray was not enough.
I have no idea how the airbox of the Stelvio is to remove as compared to the 1200 Sport. In the end I'm glad I went to the effort as so much stuff was built up behind as well as in front of the throttle plate.
Agreed. Also depends on how much oil you have blowing back from the cylinders. If you are careful with the amount of oil you put in the bike it is usually not that bad, but left for a while and it becomes a larger job. That is why I try to do it every year. Hopefully to not get to the point of having to take everything apart. That being said the Seafoam is pretty good. Since it is oil based, it tends to adhere and dissolve the crude better. The normal carb and TB sprays evaporate so quickly that doing it without removing the TB is difficult because it does not stick around long enough to dissolve everything. Just my observation. Seafoam also makes a product called Creep. They say it is better for TB but have not tried it yet. Sounds more like WD40.....maybe we found another use for WD40.:D

I re routed the engine oil breather on my Breva, instead of going into the top of the airbox it goes into a small sealed bottle. The airbox is completly dry, no oil mist in there and I haven't had to touch the throttle bodies for years.

I re routed the engine oil breather on my Breva, instead of going into the top of the airbox it goes into a small sealed bottle. The airbox is completly dry, no oil mist in there and I haven't had to touch the throttle bodies for years.
I have done the same, I use a small Red Bull can as it fits right in front of the battery and sort of wedges in under the rear gas tank mount on my 1200 Sport. About every 6 months I need a new can as the thin aluminum cracks, probably from vibration. The last time I wrapped it with aluminum tape first so we'll see if that holds up any better.

Just to be clear, the canister you are using is not fully sealed, right? There is the pipe going in and there is an exit for the air to go out, right?
The hose that goes to the airbox is supposed to be vented. You should not block it of or dead end connect it to a canister. It needs to breathe.
Sorry if I am stating the obvious.

Hi GuzziMoto, you are correct, the pipe goes in through a hole in the lid of the bottle and there is a tiny vent hole open to the atmosphere. the oil mist seems to condense on the bottle walls and I clean it out when needed.

Back