• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

clutch noise and vibration in nevada classic

caznpete66

Just got it firing!
Can anybody help me out ,as at a loss and really over my bike now.Got it back from North Coast V-twins on the NSW mid north coast 2 weeks ago after having warranty job on leaking barrels ,now a new problem emerges.
When engine is idling there is a noise coming from the gearbox area,when clucth is pulled in goes ,but when released it comes back ,and then there is a vibrating feel when you sit on around 80ks,and feels like a sharft problem ,as I am not mechanically minded I am really getting pissed off ,so needing help

The dry clutch is often noisy when sitting, not in gear. When the transmission is engaged, in gear and moving, the noise should go away, or be greatly reduced. This is normal, although some bikes don't have the noise at all. Is this what your noise is like?

The vibrations, you mean at 80 kilometers per hour (60mph)? That should be approx. 4,000 rpm, which for many bikes is a flat spot in the engine's performance. For some it's a "rough spot" where the bike doesn't like, although it's really a common cruising speed. Does this sound like your issue?

Joe

The idling noise is likely normal. When the bike is in neutral and the clutch is not pulled in one side of the transmission is spinning with the engine. This shaft has gears on it. When the engine is at idle the motor and the shaft are not spinning at a constant rpm but rather accelerating and decelerating above and below idle speed. This up and down cycling can and will cause the shaft and the gears on it to produce a noise. Does the noise reduce or go away if you open the throttle a little and bring the revs up to 3 or 4 k rpm?
Making sure the throttle bodies are balanced can reduce the uneven running that causes the noise. And it may help your vibration while running at 80k's issue as well. Can't hurt.

sign216 said:
The dry clutch is often noisy when sitting, not in gear. When the transmission is engaged, in gear and moving, the noise should go away, or be greatly reduced. This is normal, although some bikes don't have the noise at all. Is this what your noise is like?

The vibrations, you mean at 80 kilometers per hour (60mph)? That should be approx. 4,000 rpm, which for many bikes is a flat spot in the engine's performance. For some it's a "rough spot" where the bike doesn't like, although it's really a common cruising speed. Does this sound like your issue?

Joe
Joe ,this does sound ,like what is happening ,but another older guy up here seems to think it could be the snap ring that holds to the clutch plate,and the vibration only started after I got it back and is more like a tail sharft vibration you get on your car ,but as you said ,it goes as I get the bike up to around 60mph

By leaking barrels do you mean the head gaskets ? If those head gaskets have been replaced they should be re torqued after you put some miles on it, valves adjusted and Throttle bodies balanced or if they just re torqued the heads the same should have been done. This could be the reason for the vibration you are feeling.

caznpete66 said:
Can anybody help me out ,as at a loss and really over my bike now.Got it back from North Coast V-twins on the NSW mid north coast 2 weeks ago after having warranty job on leaking barrels ,now a new problem emerges.
When engine is idling there is a noise coming from the gearbox area,when clucth is pulled in goes ,but when released it comes back ,and then there is a vibrating feel when you sit on around 80ks,and feels like a sharft problem ,as I am not mechanically minded I am really getting pissed off ,so needing help

The noise you describe is exactly what my Breva 750 does. In neutral with the clutch out, it rattles.

I'm told that the noise is due to the gears moving freely back and forth as the shafts rotate. They do this because the rotational speed is uneven and the small amount of free play causes them to rattle. The noise goes away when you pull the clutch in because the input shaft to the gearbox no longer rotates.

Of course if it's something more serious than that then I'd like to know too.

As for the vibration, can you feel it in both feet, or just your right foot?

I second Guzzimoto's idea of balancing the throttle body (TB) for each cylinder. This is done with a manometer to measure the vacuum in each TB simultanously, and then adjusting until the meter shows that they are smooth and equal. The manometer can be bought, or made yourself.

Often they are unbalanced in different areas of rpm, and unbalanced in different ways. Getting balance all the way from idle to full throttle can take a good touch, but the results are nice. It's a good exercise.

Joe

How many miles on the bike. If it has over 15,000 it could just be the pressure plate springs rattling. The snap ring and center release plate will get loose and add to the noise also. Nothing really to worry about just lets you know its running.

Back