• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch Not smooth at low speeds

tripleman

Just got it firing!
Yes, I know it is a Guzzi and a twin but I have had and have twins and it seems very choppy when you initially apply power. The Griso is superb at speed but since this is my first Guzzi is this normal? It also seems to be more rough as you are in traffic especially when it is warm. When at idle in neutral the clutch has a sporadic knocking sound that everyone tells me is normal for a dry clutch. It is not dramatic but after owning Jap bikes and Triumphs it is way different. A friend of mine has a Breva and it does not make that exact noise. Are they different? On a side note, the stepper motor issue haunts my bike too. the dealer actually told me it is just the way it is. There is no fix. I am going to try the solutions in the forum however. Otherwise, it is a beautiful bike with tons of character and quirks.

Also, I bought the bike with 5,500 miles on it and don't really have experience with riding guzzis new or used.

A couple of things to try for the 'choppiness' is first to adjust any slack out of the throttle cables (slack can add to a jerky on-off throttle feel). Another thing I have done is lubricate the linkages and springs associated with the throttle bodies.

There are things you can do to help with the abrupt throttle like taking 99% of the slack out of the cables (as mentioned) and adjusting and lubing everything so it works the best it can. But part of the issue (aside from the fact that it is a Guzzi) lies with the nature of shaft drive. It isn't because it's a twin but because of the shaft (and the way the driveline is designed and built). So after you adjust everything to be as good as it gets, I'm afraid the rest comes down to learning to ride the Guzzi. Using the clutch to smooth out the driveline lash is a big part of what I am refering to. I use the clutch both when taking off and also when backing off the gas when I need to do it smoothly. You also learn how to be more precise with the throttle.
Finally, I have heard of people making custom throttle wheels that alter the ratio of the throttle giving you less throttle at first when you start opening the throttle and more as the throttle nears wide open. This approach seems a bit extreme to me but it is a valid approach.

Really hard question to answer without actually watching youy ride.

Having said that your bike wasn't a demonstrator by any chance was it?

I Only ask because the one Breva 1100 I had to do a clutch on has been abused to buggery by retarded 'Test Riders' and had glazed up to the point where it made horrible noises and was really grabby. What is it with people that they think that just because something doesn't belong to them they have free license to abuse it???? I lend my 8V to people and I'm not even a dealer, but i make sure i impress upon them it's MY bike and if they think they have a license to abuse they can fuck off and take their dog with them:p

Pete

is your "sporadic knocking" when you are in neutral with clutch out and idling? My Breva had that fixed under warranty. THere was a missing spacer washer on one of the shafts... or something.

Back