• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch slippage or fuel problem?

Gappy

Tuned and Synch'ed
I think my 94 Cali (carbureted ) is in good tune, the plugs are picture text book perfect. After I warm the bike up if I flog it in 4th especially 5th gear,after I have reached 4000rpm the clutch can slip and over rev. Now if I ride it like a sane human, I don’t seem to have that condition.

Now here is my problem and frustration. After the bike is warmed up, running it through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears at a an easy acceleration rate up to 35-4000rpm that is its happy spot, the engine is spinning and bike is running smoothly like it had an electric motor My speed is roughly a little over 40 mph. Now when I grab 4th and bring it up to rev, the engine is thumping a little and will not completely smooth out and my speed in crease is about 15-20mph faster, go for 5th gear and bring it up to the happy spot and it is a thumping monster, calms down somewhat and my speed is around 65 mph. I know that it is said that the 5th gear is too tall for this model but the engine is at 35-4000 rpm and should it be running smooth like in 3rd gear? Should the engine be spinning instead of thumping? I hear the carbs sucking hard through the air box in time with the cylinder fire. Not enough air ,too much air, not enough fuel, too much fuel? Or could it be a failing clutch. My mpg is a steady 32.

Maybe my fly wheel needs to be balanced, I don’t know. Any insight and comments appreciated.

The carbed version should be getting better mileage than that. Clutch should never slip unless worn out or oil is on the plates. How many miles on the bike? Do you see any oil leaking from the bell housing? Are the carbs in sync? Is compression even? Many questions to answer based on what you describe.

The carbs are synced with twin max and I recheck with vacuum gages while I had the sync tubes on. No leaks and I peaked in the timing cover hole and it looked dry. The carbs were rebuilt last summer and it has been a constant effort to get power and smoothness out of the thing. I am running a 268 atomizer with a 22 needle and 135 main jet. I forget what the pilot is but that don’t matter at high way speeds. When I first got the bike I checked the compression, I don’t remember what it was but I do remember that there was only a few pounds difference not knowing what the compression is supposed to be, thought it ok.The bike has 42k on the clock. I did the sync last fall and figured nothing has changed. Did not ride it that much. Rode it 450mi yesterday and decided that it is still not right. It will easily Cruze at 75mph but not smooth running.

could the choke rubbers be leaking? Just a thought. I also took off the big crossover box thing and replaced with a crossover tube , but I would not think that would do anything.

Try a 265 or 262 atomizer and K5 or K27 needles. Mains should be 125. These combinations seems to work well on 1100 carb engines. At the bottom of the bell housing there is a small hole, see if any oil is there. At 42 K the clutch shouldn't be worn out unless the adjustment has been incorrect for some time or oil is getting past the gearbox input seal or clutch push rod seals to the clutch assembly. Without seeing the bike, this is difficult to figure out on a forum.

Back