Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Clutch Wear Inspection

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by mg_sparky, Aug 15, 2009.

1. mg_sparky

mg_sparky Tuned and Synch'ed

For the Norge/Breva is there a way to check clutch wear/condition without removing the gearbox?

I'm well aware of the fact that the clutch well not need to be replaced for 100K or so. I'd like your thoughts on inspection techniques or tools you find useful.

Thanks in advance.
    Kurt

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Kurt,

Since the clutch is enclosed by the flywheel, there is no way to inspect the clutch plates without dis-assembly of the unit. In other words, only if the transmission is separated from the engine for some other reason.

3. nel

nel Cruisin' Guzzisti

the costly drawback of a modern guzzi cos the v is across the bike. I had my clutch replaced at 36k and the whole engine had to come out. I wondered if you supported the engine with a jack then took the swinging arm off, maybe you could unbolt the gearbox. It the sort of thing I'd like to do but the maintenance manual isn't detailed enough for me.

4. Greg Field

Greg Field Cruisin' Guzzisti

Norge and most Brevas have different clutches. Most Brevas have the tried-and-true Guzzi two-plate clutch. Norge has a new single-plate clutch, and there is very little real-world data on how long it will last.

5. azccj

azccj Cruisin' Guzzisti

Greg Field wrote:
    The parts diagram I have for the Norge shows a two plate clutch. I thought that only the newest Norge's came with the single plate clutch. Is the diagram wrong?

6. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

According to my parts list Norges have the twin plater but our listing only goes up to the 2008 model as I don't think they bought in any this year. P'raps the new ones use the new single plater?

Pete

7. john zibell

If Guzzi put in the same clutch they used on some of the EVs, I'm afraid they won't last too long. I've converted some from single to two plate as the single plate units only lasted about 15,000 miles.

8. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

A good friend from PA w/ 08 Norge, less than 10K mi on it had his clutch plates warp & come apart (twin plates), fixed at FBF under warranty, picked it up & headed to OH rally, didn't get far, took to another dealer in PA, they pulled it apart and found 1 clutch plate w/rivets ground off & apart and the other one w/ deformed rivets doing the same thing.

This is the first I have heard of anything going wrong w/Norge clutches!

But, then again, I do not keep up w/ all the forums out here

9. mg_sparky

mg_sparky Tuned and Synch'ed

All this discussion of failing clutches makes me wonder how many of you have dropped the engine to inspect the clutch?

Kurt

10. john zibell

mg_sparky wrote:
    That is too much work to do if there aren't any symptoms. Why look for something to be wrong if it is working!! If all is OK, yu can induce a failure by checking it. Saw that allot in teh military,they do so much "preventive maintenance" the item getsw worn out inspecitng ans servicing everything. Follow RCM (Reliability Centered Maintenance), if you can inspect it, do that e.g. tire wear, if you can predict the failure, replace just before failure e.g. spark plugs with over 12,000 miles may fail so replace at 12,000 miles, if you can't see it or predict it, run it until failure e.g. clutch.