Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Coast to Coast (RT 66) on a griso

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by speedcraft, Oct 30, 2009.

1. speedcraft

speedcraft Tuned and Synch'ed

Just got back from the coast to coast run......mid October 2009

About 3000 miles...
    0 close calls
    0 mechanical issues
    0 equipment issues
    0 clouds (some far away wisps only)....so why did I buy a rain suit?
    some strong winds
    cold air
    High mileage day Saturday...690--- Grants, NM to Shawnee, OK
    Low mileage day Thursday because I left at noon.....260--- Bakersfield, CA to Needles, CA

Mohave Desert

Outside Kingman, AZ

Natchez Trace Parkway Mississippi

Can only mean one thing (318 turns in 11 miles)

The Tail of the Dragon

Came home through the Smokey's on the Blue Ridge Parkway.....wonderfull machine

rdl

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Kalal

Daniel Kalal Cruisin' Guzzisti

Very nice.

When I saw the title, I could only think one of the coasts had to be on Lake Michigan...

Did you happen to get through Oatman or Peach Springs or Amboy (on 66)? I'm wondering how the somewhat limited range of the Griso worked out on those stretches. It looks like your saddle bags is resting on the exhaust--how'd that work out?

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

So inquiring minds want to know, if home is in PA, how'd you start in SoCal? You should've posted a note in the Southwest section, would've been fun to meet up before you left.

Thanks for the photos and words. Brings back some good memories. I rode the Smokies and the "Dragon" countless times in the late 80's, early 90's.

4. speedcraft

Yes I hit all three......fed the wild burros in Oatman while drinking my morning coffee......the griso holds 22 liters so I get 150 - 190 miles without cutting it close. I did stop for gas whenever I saw one and had more than 100 on the trip meter, but I never ran into a problem only putting in 2 - 3 gallons at a time. The fact that I had no cell coverage out there and there was NO traffic kept me honest.

I even stopped in Bellmont...to see the Easy rider "no vacancy" sign.....

The bags are not sitting on the pipe there is about 3" gap.....but they have a heat shield on the bottom and the carbon fiber mistral can does not get hot (even after running all day).

I was on a tight schedule, but I had watched the South west boards for activity....just did not work out. Someone who used to work for me was moving to Bakersfield in search of work.....he was renting a truck and towing a trailer with his car on it. Since he never drove a truck, nor towed a trailer or gone cross country before.....I offered to help. Then I found that Penske had made him rent a larger truck than he needed (because of the weight of the trailer and car).....and then the idea of hauling my bike out with the truck and riding home got stuck in my head.

So I spent 3 days driving a 22' truck plus trailer out west (in bad weather)....unloading the truck (bike went in first)....and then a week to get home. You just don't get the opportunity very often.

camping in Needles, ca

rt66

My shack at the Shackup Inn Clarckdale, MS

the Blue Ridge Parkway

Just fun...

Attached Files:

• cc2.jpg
      cc2.jpg
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
    • cc8.jpg
      cc8.jpg
      File size:
      77.1 KB
      Views:
    • cc9.jpg
      cc9.jpg
      File size:
      72 KB
      Views:
    • cc6.jpg
      cc6.jpg
      File size:
      102.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Daniel Kalal

Daniel Kalal Cruisin' Guzzisti

Very good. The last time I was in Oatman on the Guzzi was 1998, and I got the burro to prove it...
    [​IMG]

6. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

Have you enlarged the tank somehow? Griso tank stock is 16.7 litres. It's the only thing that bugs me about the 8V it is monstrously greedy! Having said that I've never felt that I might run out of gas but Daniel is heading off on it in a couple of weeks time and will be heading North. There are some longish stretches up north, inland, where fuel is scarce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

7. Mike.C

Mike.C GT Reference

Hey Speedy, thanks for letting us tag along on your trip.

Great opportunity as you said.

8. speedcraft

Ah yeah.....although my "book" says the Griso has just over 17 liters (22 liters is the manx alloy tank I have been chasing for another project)...

The low fuel light comes on a bit early, and it makes me nervous...plus we have had a lot of service stations close in the states. So I rarely put in more than 4 gallons.

The worst I saw where stretches of 45 and 50 miles with out service......I understand Utah has a few over 100 miles. Just don't want to wander into one of those without thinking.

At first I was concerned (having just serviced the bike)....with my 39 MPG in Arizona and New Mexico. Full wind sail of a pack, averaging 75 MPH per tank even with a leg stretch, and running between 5 and 7 thousand feet altitude....might explain it.

I was back in the high 40's on the blue ride parkway.....

How do you california guys deal with those fuel hoses out there? I had to hold the recapture thing up with my fingers so I could see to get it full and it kept hiting the cap???

I have a friend in Exmouth.....he says I should bring a bike out to ride there frm Perth (was he trying to get me stranded in the bush?)

rdl

9. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Pete,

This is the road we need to put Guzzi designers on. Maybe then we can get decent size fuel tanks. Even the 1100 Breva or Norge would just make the first stop with luck, anything else, no way.

10. oldmanjob

oldmanjob Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for the trip :D

11. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

Pete,

This is the road we need to put Guzzi designers on. Maybe then we can get decent size fuel tanks. Even the 1100 Breva or Norge would just make the first stop with luck, anything else, no way.[/quote]

John. I don't think daniel will be game to try the Barkly Highway

[​IMG]

Nah, the image ain't loading, but go to Google Maps and type in Barkly Hwy Australia. It ain't Griso territory, S'not even stelvio or GS Beemer territory. It's KTM or RD 400 territory! Really. You'll end up drinking a LOT of your own urine out there if you try and do it on a Guzzi! :mrgreen:

(edit!) Nah, I'm talking shit again. It's part of Highway 1. I'll be doing it on the Griso in a couple of years but it WILL be requiring some serious fuel storage improvement! I was mixing it up with another bit of outback munt-road! I'll be having to at least DOUBLE the G's fuel capacity. The bloke with the modified and tanked-up stelvio had the right idea!!!

Pete