• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Coils for Dyna

fossilrider

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey Guys and Gals, I haven't posted in quite a while since I have been busy with "other" bikes and projects. I know, I hate to admit it but I do have "other" brands in the stable. Anyway, I realize this topic has been thrashed about many times but since I am still a bit confused on the topic, I thought I'd ask for a little clarity. I picked up a T3 a few months ago ( to go with the T3 café that has been sitting 90% done on my stand for , oh I don't know 7 or 8 years now, and the Griso that is still my favorite bike of all time. Anyway, I am planning to install a Dyna ignition like the one already on the café PROJECT. My questions are: How much better is this swap if you swap the stock coils for Dyna coils, or some other aftermarket/performance items? Also, if I should switch them, what should I look for? I have read numerous posts about the desired ohm ratings and it all seems Greek to me. Do I need (if I change them) to use a "set" of coils or is a dual output single just as good? I ask that because of it possibly being a little easier to mount a single in the tight space, or are the Dyna units fairly easy to mount? The mounting isn't a huge issue since I m much better at fabrication than electrics, but easier is better. Oh, one last thing: are all the Dyna set-ups the same or are there later/better/updated models? Anyway, any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve/Fossil

Steve, If you do change from stock (not really necessary until one fails) you will need 2 single fire coils because of the ignition timing of the bike. Unlike a BMW airhead where you can get by with a single dual output. From what I've read you may be better off with the black coils, although I've been running the green ones on my MkV LeMans for many years with no issue.

Thanks, John. That's what I needed to know. And, while I might still have your ear, a quick question regarding the stock square slide carbs on this T3. I had been inside a set of these a few years back but had forgotten that the needle evidently rests on a small piston which is, in effect, a part of an accelerator pump. As the needle rises, it allows the piston to rise (since the piston has a spring forcing it upward) squirting some gas into the carb throat. The issue I am having, now that I have finally got the bike running, is that the two carbs have different slide springs.? Evidently someone in the past has done this (why, I don't know!). Anyway, one spring is shorter and maybe weaker. Therefore it cannot override the small spring in the accelerator pump ( which pushes in the opposite direction) so the slide will not close completely. I hope I am making sense. I have ordered a set of springs but, in the mean time, I stretched the shorter spring a little to try to get the slide to drop down. Not much success, so I am anxious to get the new springs installed. Have you heard of this before?

That can be a problem. You can only go so light with the square slide spring. Once you get a pair of springs that are equal and the correct strength that issue should go away. Also with two strong springs, your right forearm will get much stronger in time.;)

Just discovered that I got the new springs today from MG Cycle. Can't wait to get them in and get the T3 running right. Thanks for confirming what I thought. Regards, Steve

Remember that Dyna now recommends the brown 5 Ohm coils instead of the green 3 Ohm recommendation from the past. The 3 Ohm coils seem to overheat and can fail. Not my experience (yet...)

Thanks once again. From your previous reply, I took it that I could use the stock round T3 coils with the Dyna unit but, reading your last reply, it sounds like I do indeed need to upgrade the coils.? Sorry but I'm a bit confused by this.?Regards, Steve

Not necessary to install the Dyna coils if the originals are working properly. Although is is surprising they are still working and 40 ish years old.

Back