• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Compression spec for Quota

Rafael

GT Reference
Anyone know what the compression for the Quota is suppose to be? I tested the engine after the valves tappets were adjusted and a warm up. It tested at 110 psi on the left and 100 on the right. One of the spark plugs looks oil fouled but its not wet.

thanks for any help, Rafael

That engine is the same as all the other EV type 1100s. A tight engine usually produces 150 PSI or more with the throttle wide open. Try your gauge on another Guzzi engine and see what you get. The gauge may be off, or read differently than mine. You did have the throttle wide open when you tested? The 10 PSI difference is marginally acceptable, but your pressure readings are low.

thanks John,
I realized after my buddy left with the Quota that we omitted having the throttle wide open. Oops. We were too focused on jumping the starter and taking the reading that we forgot to deal with the throttle. We'll try again later this week. The only other 1100 guzzi we have handy for testing is a Breva, no match. Our gauge isn't the best; not sure if it can be tested.

This motor has some other symptoms as well, we're slowly getting sorted and hoping they'll clear up and that a rebuild is not needed yet.

Well, its been almost a year. Have the TB balance, TPS adjusted and a PC3. I retested the compression with the throttle full open but the engine was cold, got 132 and 135 pounds compression -still a bit low. Is there a way to figure out if its the rings or the valves without taking the heads off? It would be nice if all it needed were some new rings. This may be anew winter project.

Rafael said:
Well, its been almost a year. Have the TB balance, TPS adjusted and a PC3. I retested the compression with the throttle full open but the engine was cold, got 132 and 135 pounds compression -still a bit low. Is there a way to figure out if its the rings or the valves without taking the heads off? It would be nice if all it needed were some new rings. This may be anew winter project.

Perform a leak down test. If you don't have, or don't want to by the equipment have a shop do it. If you hear air at the intake or exhaust it is valves, if at the crankcase, rings. That said, in my experience, if you do valves without doing rings, the extra compression will soon take out the rings. So, in my experience, if it fails the leak down test, just do a complete top end job. It will save going back in a relatively short time to take care of the problem you didn't fix the first time.

Before you do the leak down test make sure that the valves all have clearance otherwise you'll get a false reading. As John sez, if one or other part is leaky just bite the bullet and do the whole thing otherwise you'll just end up pushingthe problem from hither to yon and back again. At least if you give it a complete freshen-up it should be good for another 20 years!!!! :D

Pete

After a dyno run giving me only 50hp at the rear wheel I tested the compression. 150psi. Not knowing if this was good or bad or what (my old KZ550 had 190-195psi, the only other bike I knew about) so I went to Greg Benders place and we did a side by side with his bike as well as the leak down test (he had the tool for that).

My bike was fine, he had a leaky exhaust valve; so my concern lead to discovering a problem on his (now ex) bike.

After recently dumping the Super Trapp muffler and going with the stock unit I am suspecting it was the choke point; need to do another dyno run to confirm.

Ron

Update; had the bike dyno'd and I gained about 12HP by going back to the stock can. 63peak hp and better torque. I'm stoked!

Now that I'm getting used to the big guy another twenty horses would be nice. That new V12 that we've been teased with has really got my attention. If they don't drag their feet bringing it to the US I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on it.

rboe said:
Update; had the bike dyno'd and I gained about 12HP by going back to the stock can. 63peak hp and better torque. I'm stoked!

Now that I'm getting used to the big guy another twenty horses would be nice. That new V12 that we've been teased with has really got my attention. If they don't drag their feet bringing it to the US I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on it.
Hi

That convinces my opinion that supertrap mufflers are no good, except you tune it too loud to drive on publöic roads.

There is an aftermarket 2 into 1 from Mistral available for the Quota that cost 8 HP on my Q1000 from 7 to 8 krpm. From 6200 onwards the curves drifted apart.

Back