• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Condensation in clocks, Breva & Griso

bronco_breva

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have added the clocks document as it seems to have gone missing in the revamp of this websight.

Bronco.]

Attachments

• Clocks1.doc
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,481
Outstanding Tip B_B !

No condensation problem on mine, but may be a very sensible "preventative":)

Hmmmm, well we have ridden about 1500km in the pooring rain in the last 3 months and I now have condensation appearing in the clocks and the high beam blue light comes on without any prompting after going through the smallest shower of rain but the head lights remain normal indicating some issue in the dash.

So when I saw this post, I thought I would take them apart to have a look and see if I could re-do the seal which is under the edge of the plastic lense, and maybe clean up any water damage that might be there in the hope of fixing it for good.

However being an insufferable fiddler I have now got to get a new set of clocks :(

Ok here is the drum. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES try and remove the needles from their shafts. Bronco's comment that it is the point of no return is spot on the mark. I stupidly chose to iignore him tried to remove them, although without success and I did stop before getting them off. But now the speedo needle has a gravelly feel when spun by hand - I can only assume that I have broken a little gear in the electronic actuating mechanism and now when they do their start up sweep the speedo stays at 120km/hr.

An expensive mistake me thinks - I wonder how much the unit is here in Aus - lots I would think, I suppose I will find out tomorrow when I order one and even more of a problem how long it will take to come. :blush: :blush: :( :(

That's some bad luck Mike, as soon as I read "point of no return" I won't touch it.
I learned that also the hard (& expensive) way over the years. :blush:

The only time that I had condensation so far, was when the temperatures were below 2 degrees C during riding. Just a little and I think that was caused by the temp. difference. During parking or riding in the rain no condensation and same when washing the bike. :)

OK it's a 2008 bike with 11000 km on it, so knock on wood it stays that boring :p I have had not one issue so far besides 2 times normal maintenance. I must say that I have the idea that my dealer knows Guzzi's and their weak points, but that's no guarantee for a trouble free bike of course.

Norge as well :S .......What a nightmare B_B and a sh!t bit of quality control. Thanks for the excellent fix.

I`ve had some condensation across the warning lights since washing it a few weeks back and pondered what to do about it.

I was making and fixing a bracket for my old Quest GPS on one of the windscreen uprights and while the drill was out I thought about putting a breather hole right at the top of the assembly.

I used a 2mm bit and tried to keep a slight upward angle under the lip at the top of the outer cover. I aimed to break through into the inner chamber with "half a hole" if that makes sense.

That was a week ago and most of the condensation has gone just leaving a bit in the left-hand corner. The bike has been in my shed because I`ve managed to give myself a foccin hernia....grrrr so have been unable to ride it this week....hopefully it should all shift with a breeze around it..... :lol:

If the pic shows up you can spot the hole just above the neutral light....

Eric B)

Couldnt put a better pic up using the Edit.....so this might work. Excuse me fumbling.....:S

Sorry to hear Mike went beyond the point of no return, I'd have done the same if I had seen the instructions first. I have a history of taking things apart and the wife saying "I told you not to" when I can't put them back together again. The price for the clocks here in the UK from the dealers is £380, or you could check out http://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem2.asp?M=Moto_Guzzi they list the clocks at €1761, somebody's having a laugh.

I'm slightly worried about Erix2's solution as when it rains or he washes the bike the waters going to flood back into the clocks. As soon as they have dried out you need to seal the hole.

I would assume if you are getting condensation in your clocks you will find a pool of water at the bottom to evaporate when there's a change in the temperature and this needs to be drained. If the amount of water is to great it could take weeks to evaporate so draining is the best option especially in our damp UK climate. Just think you have your own mini eco system in your clocks.

Well B_B, I have no wife to say "I told you so"..... just a small bankaccount :dry:

The odd thing is, that I get no condensation when it gets warmer. When there is a "pool" of water you should expect that it vapourises as the temp. increases and cause condensation. So I think I haven't got this pool of water.

But if I have this pool I will invite some pretty girls in bikini for sure....:p

I'm confused with this as well, inside temp, outside temp, casing temp, humidity and god knows what else needs to be taken into account.

One easy way to find out if there's water in there is to remove the clocks from the bike and lay them flat and see if any water comes out the existing vent holes.

The wife also says I can't join you by the pool with the pretty girls in bikini's and has hidden my Guzzi keys. What a spoil sport!!

Another reason why I'm YF&S (Young Free & Single). :p
I'll see if they can plan a trip to Cadburry in Bourneville for me so I can come over for free and help you find the keys..

bronco_breva wrote:
I have a history of taking things apart and the wife saying "I told you not to" when I can't put them back together again

I just get "that" look now, and if I was completely stupid a roll of the eyes as well. This one was a look, a roll and to top it off another roll when she saw the price you paid...:blink:

Anyway, good news is that when I took mine apart it was obvious why they leak. The soft foam seal under the edge of the lense has had silicone applied in places around the edge and no way was it ever going to make a complete water tight seal.

In fact I will be taking the lense off the new one and seal it properly, as getting it apart to that point wasn't hard.

I guess the space for the Stelvio will be there for a while now, because there will be space in your wallet now...:huh:

Oh and don't let your minister of finance read this ;)

Mike C, no, no, no, no, no, no, dont' fiddle with the new one's, you'll never forgive yourself if something goes wrong. With the amount of replacements some have had under warrenty and bikes sold since ours where made we can assume quality control has improved so your new clocks should be OK. (WOW!!! a pig has just flown past the window)

Wait and see, If you do get condensation in the future then take action.

Bronco.

PS, another symton I didn't mension earlier, the LCD (Odo, trip computer, temp, time display) would go blank for a couple of days at a time then come back on again.

PPS, new clocks = "0" miles (not bad for a 3 year old bike)

I've had condensation in mine about 3 times in 30 months. Always when riding on a cold day in winter. My garage gets pretty damp in cold weather as we have a freezer in there. The boat sails that I clearly don't rinse well enough (covered in salt) absorb a lot!

Anyho it clears after I ride for an hour. If Itake the case apart I'd bung a pack of silica gel in there maybe.

Maybe I'll make the dash a nice little duvet/sleeping bag ...

The condensation in my clocks was so bad I couldn't read the display some days and it would take a week to start clearing. (45 min riding daily) then just as it cleared i'd wash the bike an be back to square 1. This was Feb & Mar this year which where the usual cold and damp months. I also keep the bike outdoors under a bike cover and get a lot of condensation under there, I've now modified the cover with a homemade vent and this has improved things greatly.

Bronco.

bronco_breva wrote:
Mike C, no, no, no, no, no, no, dont' fiddle with the new one's, you'll never forgive yourself if something goes wrong.

Why not? Where's your sense of adventure??? It's only money :blink: :p B)

Got a price yesterday - $1100 AUD :(

But good news is there is a bloke here in BNE who might be able to repair it.... maybe....

Amazing how these forums prompt the mind, I had exactly the same issue with fogging under the instrument lights cover within a couple of weeks of picking up the sport. (Seemed to fade into insignificance when compared to warped rotors, broken exhaust bracket, tint coming off fork tubes, and not to mention leaking carc (yes that’s still going on – Pete I’ll definitely be bring the bike down within the month and I’ll get the 40,000K service done at the same time).
Anyway if your having the fogging issue, may I suggest that before getting the drill out, taking the instruments apart, be patient.
Fogging stopped after a couple of months by itself. Don’t know why, must be “whitemans magic”; In the past 18 months or so, it’s never occurred again, the bike still gets washed, ridden in the rain and has travelled many miles from sea level, over the mountains along the Great Divide, without a problem.
Anyway least the post started me thinking, there’s another issue that Sport owners best be aware of, that is the light frame on the fairing breaks (plastic welds crack). I’ll post another topic with pic’s, fix etc.

Lots of older BMW speedo-tack units had this same problem of moisture after heavy rain or sitting in a hot-cold-hot garage. Just this past weekend I got my 1987 BMW R80 out of winter storage and sure enough there was condensation under the lens. There were some old time simple fixes, such as putting an electric light bulb nearby but not touching the unit. Some people claimed they put the little bag of the chemical dryer that comes in medicine bottles, into the speedo housing. In my case, I hung a light bulb overnight and in the morning it was crystal clear. If it happens again I’ll look for a little chemical dryer bag.

I think Tonym & Bob Bernstein may not have looked at the attachment at the start of this topic. If there is to much water in there for to long its going to rot the circuit board and new clocks are not cheap. £380!!! or $1100 AUD. You will also find there is no room inside to add little bag of the chemical dryer, as for light bulbs maybe maybe not, fine for clocks with metal casings but not so good for plastic cases.

Bronco.

Back