• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Condensation in clocks, Breva & Griso

You are correct, Bronco. I didn’t scroll down far enough to see the corrosion on the board. That is bad! Did you notice condensation for some time or did it just show up all of sudden? Naturally a little bag of dryer is not going to absorb a puddle!

I have a Breva 11,my first set of clocks died in pretty nasty weather whilst riding,i lost everything apart from fuel gauge and tail light and the ecu set itself to a basic running setup for the engine.the warranty was out but i managed to get a second hand set from a dealer i've had condensation problems with these and now the lcd display is often so faded you can barely make out the figures on display :dry: .I've since aquired another set of clocks off ebay that apparently have the kilometre function not working (i haven't tried them yet) but they were so cheap if they dont work then so be it l:dry: .In the meantime i shall check out the mod for drain holes.

Cliffyg, I bought the bike last september and have done about 2500 miles. I did not use it over winter once the gritters where out but it hase been out in the rain sereral times. There was condensation in the clocks from the start but not too bad and it would almost clear after a ride out. I starting riding again in Feb and after several rides and washes the condensation got worse. The blue main beam light had never worked. By the begining of march all the problems started, no display and hazzard lights coming on on there own, I suspect this was when the water was at its maximum in the clocks and the bottom of the circuit board was submurged. I suspect the corrosion is a resault of several winters of soakings and regular rainy day top-ups. You can judge from the pictures how much water can collect in the bottom of the clock case and several weeks of summer riding would be needed to clear it, only to be toped up next time you wash the bike or it rains.

Bronco.

Condensation and even water leakage into bike instruments has been a problem forever. Way back as a matter of course we used to seal the bezels onto the glasses of Smiths instruments with a fillet of plasticine. Work it in well and then remove the excess with a rag dampened with kerosene was the method.

So far my Breva has not suffered from obvious moisture in the instrument panel but the windscreen fitted does protect that area well and when washing the bike, or leaving it outside overnight when on tour I cover the instrument panel with a plastic bag.

It amazes me that in 2009 they still can't make truly weather resistant instruments. My V11 Sport had a problem until a few vent holes were added to the housing. That plus the plasticine treatment seemed to cure the problem. Also it still seems essential for instrument assemblers to leave their mark in the form of fingerprints on the inside of the lens.

Graham

I've had my new clocks fitted for nearly 2 months now. I've washed them with a wet soapy sponge, I've sprayed them with the hose pipe and I’ve even been out in the rain, YES I rode my bike in the RAIN!!!. And no sign of condensation.

It may be early days yet, but it appears Moto Guzzi may have the quality control sorted with the clocks.

Do I regreat bying the Guzzi, NO. It can be hard work and cloncky riding slow around town in heavy traffic but when you get onto the open road it comes into it's own, its wonderful, great handling, beautiful sound, confort, fine 2 up, and you never see another one for weeks.

Most of all its got character

Bronco_Breva

bronco_breva wrote:
I've had my new clocks fitted for nearly 2 months now. I've washed them with a wet soapy sponge, I've sprayed them with the hose pipe and I’ve even been out in the rain, YES I rode my bike in the RAIN!!!. And no sign of condensation.

It may be early days yet, but it appears Moto Guzzi may have the quality control sorted with the clocks.

Do I regreat bying the Guzzi, NO. It can be hard work and cloncky riding slow around town in heavy traffic but when you get onto the open road it comes into it's own, its wonderful, great handling, beautiful sound, confort, fine 2 up, and you never see another one for weeks.

Most of all its got character

Bronco_Breva

The new clocks have been fitted 3 months now and gess what, the waters getting in.

Last friday the bike was left out in the rain, then later riding home in torrential rain the hazzard lights came on whilst on the motorway and I could not switch them off. The next day condensation in the clocks.

I removed them and lay them flat and out came some water, so out came the dremel and i've now drilled 2 drainage holes in them.

Fingers crossed that should be the end of the condensation.

Bronco_Breva

GrahamNZ wrote:
Also it still seems essential for instrument assemblers to leave their mark in the form of fingerprints on the inside of the lens.
Ha! So true...

As I am now seeing condensation in my instruments could someone repost the attachment from the start of the thread as it is no longer accessable and I think that I should check a few things before randomly setting to work with the Black & Decker
TIA

Steve

Averb said:
As I am now seeing condensation in my instruments could someone repost the attachment from the start of the thread as it is no longer accessable and I think that I should check a few things before randomly setting to work with the Black & Decker
TIA

Steve

I've re-posted the file in the original thread. Luckily I had saved it to my PC.

Thanks for the Doc bronco_breva. Helped me avoid the needle issue and locate the 4 screws under the facia. Pined out two holes and managed to unscrew the unit from the outer case. Used rolson #000 thin shaft philips...

Used a tooth pick to help lift the facia which was stuck more so around the centers of the needles (care not to scratch the underside). Reset the facia on reassembly with a stiff clean paint brush.

...No need to remove screws just undo.

AnY4D92.jpg

l5SczKt.jpg

:)

Drain holes center and to the left (side stand drain). Same under Rev Clock.

NguGkSE.jpg

After completion - could have taped up the holes but...

AwUWYNX.jpg

bronco_breva's Doc shows the screws. I just located them through the facia with the red arrow marking my mistake. the other two screws didn't need holes punching through as easy to get to.

MuBtM8O.jpg

Note: Not sure if this has been mentioned. Needles can be moved if needs be as they seem to calibrate when battery connected. Also seems to be the Rev Clock that get the most water damage!

Back