• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Considering a new Guzzi - Talk me off the ledge...

Ninja_Nerd

Just got it firing!
Hello all, first time on the forum.

I've had many bikes, both street and dirt over the years, but they've all been of the reliable, predictable (some would say boring) Japanese variety. Currently riding a Kawasaki ZX-14 Ninja and I love the bike in many ways, but I'm 51 and the hips and knees complain bitterly after a long day on the highway. Plus I don't feel the need for 190 HP face-melting, pants-wetting acceleration anymore - although it was fun while it lasted ;-)

Anyhoo, I was on the web site for a local dealer and spotted a left-over 2015 Norge GT 8V brand new in white. Something about the bike really grabbed me and before I knew it I was researching it and reading reviews. I could buy a Concours or FJR for about the same money, but something about the Guzzi is calling to me. I think it's because everyone else in my riding group rides FJRs, Concours, Honda STs, etc.

Finally, to my point - I am scared shitless about "exotic" bikes like this because of their reputation for being unreliable, finicky and expensive to service with poor dealer support in many places. For example, I mostly do trips through the northwestern states and can't recall ever seeing a Guzzi dealership. Can someone who owns a 2015 Norge tell me what their experience has been in terms of reliability, cost of maintenance (valve adjustments for example), dealer support, warranty claims, etc. Any insight would be helpful before i go and buy this fricken beautiful piece of Italian goodness. Thanks!

Ninja Nerd (think that name may need to change...) the best thing you can do is go for a long ride and see. I have a Sport witch is near identical in running gear without the 8V engine or the tupperware. I quite happily ride it 700-800 km in a day and I smile all the way.

Take it for a test ride (let the torque talk its talk) and see if you can go for more than a couple of hours - Guzzis, while not exotic, are different to your previous diet and you need to learn what the attraction is (or not). These beasties are rather simple to work on (read olds kool/old school) and many here (supported by the rest of us) have learnt to do what needs to be done to keep them running. If ever in doubt, ask here or wherever you end up. There is a collection of Guzzi aficionados up your way who are more than happy to meet, greet and go ride (weather permitting) with you. There is some good support just across the border in the Pacific North Wet (Washington).

The engine in the 2015 is already a roller top end so you should expect many kilometres of fun (well over 100,000+). Around 100 geegees and wallops of torque is what is different to the rest. Todd has a whole pile of add ons you may want to try out as well.

Let us know if your stay here is permanent.

Howdy.

I have a 2007 Norge. Yes, I know that isn't exact,y responsive, but hang on.

My brother has had three 8v Norges. Sold first, a 2012, because he (thought he) wanted a C14 Touring. Didn't like that as he thought he would ... or, more accurately, missed his Norge, so he bought another, a 2015. Unfortunately, a soccer mom in a minivan took him and the Norge out. Michael survived; the Norge was DOA. So, he now has his third new Norge!

Issues? Really none to speak of at all.

My brother is quite possibly the least mechanically inclined motorcycle rider I've ever known. That is a serious statement, not hyperbole. I really think he shpuld be on something a bit more boring, because he has, IMO, been a bit lucky with his Guzzis. He's had a good dealer and virtually flawless machines. My own experience has been way more, uhm, "interesting."

The saying: "Moto Guzzi: Making Mechanics Out of Riders Since 1921" has a basis in fact. I have become more skilled than I ever intended in maintenance, but have to say that my Griso and my brother's Norges have been near Nipponese reliable.

Valve adjustments and oil changes are easy ... and get me out of spousal-unit imposed tasks. ;)

And, I have to add, too, having ridden more than road test miles on your present machine, a Concours 1400, a FJR, and a ST1300. All grand mounts, but not one is, IMO, the match of the Norge in grins per mile.

Best wishes,

Bill

I can't say much for experience. Yet!

You see, I just signed the papers today for a 2007 Norge. So the only experience I have is complete and utter frustration. With this winter.

The bike is in Vancouver, BC and I live four hours away, over a few mountain ranges. But as for the 2015 Norge, go for it. You appear to be downsizing like me. I'm just a little older than you and moving down from a Gold Wing.
But standing in the dealerships showroom today, checking out the bike, sitting on it, firing it up, sent chills down my back. And then I looked outside at the snow.....

It's a sweet piece of machinery that I think will satisfy you. I know it will satisfy me. Buy it and I'll meet you on the road one day.

Be warned. You don't own a Guzzi, you have an affair with it.
I have a 2006 Breva 1100 I bought new, and for 110,000kms, it's rarely given me grief, and never left me stranded.

cheers

Robert

Welcome, Ninja Nerd. I have the exact bike you are describing - '15 - 8V, in white. I am also riding it because of the need to move in a safer and more comfortable direction (I also have two Ducatis). I test rode it on a whim, not really because I was considering it. Went out for a couple hours, and felt a bond. So, ended up buying it for a good price, as a "new" 2015 in April, 2016.

These bikes are cool looking - I get lots of compliments on it from random people... and not just bikers. The biggest reason I bought was comfort. Even the stock seat is good for all day (for me anyway), though I'd like to get it a little lower. I am a 30" inseam, so, this bike is maybe an inch or two too tall to be a perfect height for me. But, it really does produce grins when riding, and feels much lighter than it is.

You won't have the power or handling of your Kawi, but the Norge is capable. I like the twisties, and after removing the feelers on the footpegs, and cutting off an inch from the rubber side stand stop, and grinding a little from the protruding bend in the side stand, I haven't scraped anything recently.

Speaking to reliability, etc... I have 4300 miles on mine. Many in the twisties of NC. I just developed a small front fork seal leak. I have an appt for next week to get it looked at and taken care of under warranty. No problem with the dealer. Our local (Cincinnati) dealer is top notch, with factory trained techs. And good guys to boot - I think the Guzzi crowd is passionate. I don't think this bike will have the type of problems that leave you stranded. Read - reliable (at least so far, for me). Others here tell me they get better with miles. Service intervals are 6k. Not really a whole lot to do to them. Oil(s), valves, tires (I didn't like the original Pirellis). No chain to worry about. Minimal torque steer from the CARC shaft drive. Great Brembo brakes. Engine feels great - lots of torque.

Good luck with your decision process. It's killin' BB to wait for his ;-).

In 2012 I bought a 2007 Norge that had 18,000 miles on it. I rode it nearly 15,000 miles over the next couple of years without any major issues. In 2015 I got the bug for a new, not previously owned, motorcycle and traded the Norge in on a NOS 2014 Stelvio (needed a bit more leg room for some old, previously abused knees). I'm now up to almost 10,000 on the Stelvio with NO issues at all. If I hadn't had back surgery last summer the mileage would be higher. The Stelvio has the same engine/trans/major components as the bike you are considering.

Things I have learned. Moto Guzzis are plenty reliable. They are easy to work on compared to most every other bikes I have owned over the last 40 years (Hondas, Kawasakis, Nortons, BMW). While having a close by dealership is nice, it isn't essential if you can change your own oil and adjust your own valves. I live in small town Wyoming and my nearest dealer is about 400 miles away. My preferred dealer is 1,000+ miles away in Seattle. I do all my own maintenance and it is both easy and an enjoyable part of owning a Moto Guzzi.

There are several good Moto Guzzi resources available for parts and advice if you don't have a good local dealer. You have found an excellent one here at Guzzi Tech. I can't say enough good things about interacting with Todd, and the Forums here are very educational.

To echo what others have said, the Moto Guzzi riding experience is unique. They just don't feel like anything else out there. I think you will find the 8 valve Norge is plenty fast but with a torquey, easy pulling low end that just leaves you smiling all the time.

As good as the engines are on Moto Guzzis, consider letting Todd improve them through his remaps and add-ons. He really knows his business and you will be really happy with the results. The remap of the ECU alone is easy to get done (no need to go to his shop), worth the money, and will improve the bike's drivability dramatically.

I have plans this summer to make up for last summer's limited riding opportunities. A rally in Northeast Minnesota, a rally in Virgina, a rally in Iowa and probably a ride out to California. The Guzzi will handle that without any issues, other than where to replace worn out tires. So my advice is to go for the Norge.
Garwood
Buffalo, Wyoming.

Thanks Gar.
NN, if you want more of a relationship with a machine as opposed to simply using an appliance, Euro brands are it. They speak to you like no other. Ride one and see.
This is the reason many of us own and ride Guzzi after many many miles in the saddle on other brands. I've owned/sampled almost all of the them for decades now, and Guzzi is the only hook, or call it an addiction. Be forewarned.
That said, if you are a push it in the corner until the need a few times a year, it may not be for you. Guzzi's need love, attention and to be ridden.
The newer bikes really are very good, and as hands-off as can be imagined by a very small limited production Euro brand. That said, you will be rewarded if you go hands-on with info found here on this site. I've worked hard for 16+ years to be sure the info here stays relevant/pertinent, and I've worked harder at making sure the products I develop and offer here on the online Store exceed expectations.
The weak links on all modern Guzzi are fueling and suspension. Fix those, and they are amazingly good machines. Ones that you'll never want to get rid of. My $.02.

Weird you say that. My wife already calls my new V7 II Stone my Mistress. She's probably right. As I mention on another post, it's like a mistress. We know it's going to hurt, but we still want in on it.

Be warned. You don't own a Guzzi, you have an affair with it.
I have a 2006 Breva 1100 I bought new, and for 110,000kms, it's rarely given me grief, and never left me stranded.

cheers

Robert

Thanks so much for the detailed replies folks. Exactly the type of information I was looking for. The rather short valve adjustment intervals were a bit of a shock, but I was relieved to learn that they're the screw-type adjusters and fairly easy to access - what with the heads sticking right out there! I'm used to Japanese inline four engines with a giant monocoque frame member right over the top of the engine which make the job quite difficult to do myself or costly to have done at a shop.

Having fork seals go after a short time seems a common complaint, but I suppose once the factory ones are replaced they will last longer. I have a friend with a Ducati Multistrada and it also goes through fork seals for unexplained reasons.

I am intrigued enough to go to the dealer and check the bike out and see what kind of deal could be made. Won't be able to ride anything here for a couple of months yet, but I am getting spring fever. Thanks again for your help and I'll post back later.

I was where you are 1 year ago. After 30+ years on liter+ in line 4''s Kawasaki Concourse, FZ1, and my last bike (8years) an FJR I bought a Griso 1100. I was thinking of giving up riding and a bit bored riding but not wanting to give it up. I had never ridden a Moto Guzzi, only read about them. Well short story, I traded the 05 FJR for the Griso and ended up putting 3k miles in 2 months, more than I rode the whole 2 years before.... I thought i was done with LD riding so bought the sport standard, but was onceagain hooked so i bought a 2014 Norge in July and rode a total of 12k miles in 2016..... The passion and love is back.

Be warned the power delivery is very different than an Il4 and at 53 exactly what I need and want. Will take a while to get used to it expecially when riding 2 up. My wife after our first ride said "it's nice but is much slower"...... At 105 hp it is..... especially when you want to pass and overtake..... the 1300 or 1400 in line 4 is a monster..... But that said the MG motor is MORE than adequate, and in many ways far more enjoyable, flexible, and has ano addicting character and personality that you will either get or not.......

I was happy with stock fueling but a refreshed custom map made several improvements. As for stock suspensions, I found on both the Griso and Norge that patience and a willingness to experiment will reward. NO reason IMO to spend the $$. But that's a matter of preference.

Guzzi's have tight seating positions and I upgraded my footpegs to Goodwing pegs, they gave an inch more legroom. There are other options as well.

The only way to tell is on an extended test ride. I will say be prepared to be underwhelmed at WOT but thrilled with top gear or 4th gear roll-on and the satisfying thump, unique character of a Guzzi that you will either get or not....

Last edited:
I came to my 14 Norge off of a perfectly set up and modded Tiger 1050-2010. A killer of a bike with great power and razor sharp handling. The Norge is a fantastic mile muncher that turns into a very capable twisties bike as needed. You'll learn soon enough what it likes and where it shines.

And, unlike many other machines, the heads are right out there and it's SO easy to adjust the valves. You'll save a ton over other machines. Fluids are also no sweat to handle.

Funny thing-I remember the Tiger with great fondness but don't seem to miss it nearly as much as I expected!

Ninja Nerd,

Good luck with your decision. I too was in your exact place 20 months ago when I decided on my new Norge. I was coming off a Buell Thunderbolt S3T that I have owned since new (I still have it for my kids to ride when we do long distance), and was torn between a Concours 14 and an FJR. After riding the feather weight Buell for so long, I was nervous about the weight of the C-14 and the FJR. At 566 lbs. dry, the Norge slots right in between these other sport touring bikes. I rode both the Concours and the FJR - superb motorcycles.

High points on the Norge - the factory seat is all day comfortable. I am 5'8 with a 30 inch inseam, 170 lbs., and it fits perfect. Great foam. Rich torque curve. Plenty of power (at least one up like I ride). Great fairing (and yes in the beginning the windshield looks too small, but with the compound curves, it is not. No buffeting at 5'8"). Nice sized water proof saddlebags. Great brakes. Smooth, progressive clutch with very light pull. Transmission beds in and shifts smoothly after the first thousand miles. Factory center stand. I added the factory saddlebag liners, the factory tank bag, and a Throttlemeister cruise control. There is also plenty of room under the seat for things like fork locks, cell phone charger cords, etc.

I now have 11,000 miles and do all of my own service. A breeze. Oil changes are simple, as are transmission and rear drive changes. Tires will go about 7,000 miles. Valve adjustments take about an hour - it takes longer to lay out the tools and pull the covers than it does to turn the motor and check the clearances. I guess I need to look at front pads and see how they are doing - I never even think about it as the lever is still firm and the bite is nice and progressive.

These are high quality motorcycles that come with a two year warranty. The fit and finish on my bike is excellent - every bit as nice as their competitors.

Surely you did not come to a Guzzi site expecting us to talk you out of a Guzzi......
My best advice is to try to ride one, the longer the ride the better. If you ride one, I think it will either speak to you or it won't. If it speaks to you, you need to buy one. If it does not, I don't think you should get one. Guzzi's can be very reliable, and often outlast other brands. But they are more like a woman than a motorcycle. They require more effort, it is more like a relationship than an appliance. But if they speak to you, there really isn't anything else that will be like a Guzzi.
I first rode a Guzzi back in the early '90s. I rode a Daytona that a friend had just bought. I told him right then that if he ever decides to sell it I will buy it from him. Years later I now own that Guzzi. We have three more, but that Daytona is what started it for me.

Ha ha no I didn't. Just wanted honest information (good and bad) from people with a lot of experiece with these bikes and that's exactly what I've received. Vehicles in general, but motorcycles in particular, invoke strong emotional reactions. Even before riding them, certain bikes really grab my attention and for whatever reason they're usually the Euro brands. Bikes like the Norge, Aprilia Caponord and Ducati Multistrada all get my blood going with their character, beautiful lines and riding characteristics, but might quickly lose their appeal if they leave me stranded in the middle of a Montana highway with the nearest dealer 400 miles away.

The Internet is a wonderful thing, but sometimes offers too much information! For every review that raves about fabulous handling and wonderful motors, I find a dozen forum posts about random electrical issues leaving people stranded, CARC leaks, poor quality bearings and seals, etc. which just don't jive with the whole handmade, European craftsmanship thing. Beauty and character are important, but so is solid design and quality control.

Same thing happens in the car world - it seems nearly impossible to have beautiful design, exellent performance on the road AND bulletproof reliability in the same package. You can buy a Honda Accord that will give boring, but trouble-free performance for 300,000 kilometers, or a BMW that drives beautifully and puts a smile on your face every day - until you're getting it towed to an over-priced and pretentious dealer for repairs. It has never made sense to me why Euro-brand engineers are smart enough to build vehicles that drive or ride so well, but then make silly design mistakes or use cheap parts that compromise reliability.

For me it comes down to this - everyone has to find a compromise that they can live with before they plunk down their hard-earned cash on a new bike. I haven't quite decided what that is for me and I have a couple of months to figure it out, but I sure appreciate the folks here helping me and others make an educated choice. There is risk in everything and eventually you just have to write the cheque, take a chance and see how it works out!

Back