• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Conti Radial review

Shrek

Tuned and Synch'ed
IMG 2040 IMG 2038 i have been using a Conti Classic attack 120 90 18 Radial on the rear of my Lemans 1000 and thought i should share my findings.
As soon as i fitted it,i was impressed with its handleing performance and grip.
It improved the cornering stability noticably while still paired with a BT 45 crossply front.
After fitting a 110 80 18 Metzler Z8 front radial(std was 100 90 18),the bike was transformed.
As i could not find any 100 90 18 Radial,i wanted to try a 90 90 18 Conti but nobody could deliver so on went a 110.It turned out to work really well as it measures 103mm on the. 2.5" rim.
I can trail brake deep into corners now with total confidence.
Something that eluded me with any Dunlop,Bridgestone,Pirelli or Avon cross plys i have used.
The bike would want to stand up if braking into corners,felt vague like i was never sure if it was going to let go or not.Many times it did slide in the front or just feel terrible on rough surfaces.
The Metzler radial front tyre makes the ole Lemon feel like a different bike.A more modern bike.
It now tips into corners with accuracy and a solid,preditable feel.It has more grip than i can use and never feels like it is going to slide,which it never has while occasionally scraping levers and stands.
These tyres give me total confidence when pushing the envolope which is the best thing.The bike is easier to ride,safer and i get less tired at the end of the day.

Fitting these two radials is the best improvement i have done to this bike in 23 years and i have tried plenty.

The rear has has hit the wear indicators after 5500km which is 500km more than i have ever got with any cross ply.
The front shows very little wear after 3500 km(compared to a crossply) except for that comforting roughness near the edge after a nice charge through the mountains.

Cons,They cost a bit more.Not many to choose from in standard sizes.

Do i think Radials are the way to go?
Absolutely if you want to improve the steering,handleing,grip and stability of your Tonti.

If you arent using Radials and want to improve your ride.Do yourself a favour.
If you are,then you are probable smiling now?

Last edited:
Hmmm,for some reason your question doesnt appear here but does in my email.
Yes i have tried Pirelli Demons and i put them in the same basket as all the other crossplys.
I actually rate them a little lower than Metzler Laser/Metronic and Bridgy Bt45,s.
Radials are in a different league,i believe.

I asked the question with regards to the Demons but then remembered you'd already answered it when we last posted about your use of radials, so I scrubbed it. Looking forward to eventually trying out some radials on the LM2.

I would choose Conti Classic attacks on your bike.
90 90 18 front and 110 90 18 should be perfect for Lm 2 wheel widths.
I wouldnt recommend a 110 front as i think your bike has a narrower 2.25 width rim?

Giddy Shrek,
Haven't being on here for a while - refurbishing the 1100 Sport & contemplating parts formy Daytauro conversion.
Have done 2000 miles now, but not comfy with the ride. Whilst the bike is nice Its gearing is to low for long hauls.
I am fitting a new Brdgestone T30 to the rear with a 160/70 profile which by my calcs will give near as the same tire OD as the Sport. I might be wrong here but I think this is the source of the lower gearing.
Bought an electronic white face speedo off eBay & a G.M sender unit which apparrently fits straight onto the speedo cable output so I can recalibrate the speedo accurately. ( similarly 4 the Sport with the tachometer as the Viegla called it quits - (bad earth syndrome).
I'm hoping that if I graft an 1100 rear frame and fairing onto the Centauro I can possibly get away with a custom seat & keep the Centauro tank ( read excessive replacement cost) since I have a full fairing similar to my forum pict.
I would prefer to find a reasonably priced Sport tank as you can get a Sport front fairing at a reasonable price from Airtech.
As you've being there done this, do you have any advise or thoughts e.g. pifalls such as refining all the electrics & battery etc.

G,day
A taller rear tyre will go someway to raising the final gearing.
But the main reason the gearing feels shorter than the sports is coz it is.
The Centauro,s have different ratio gearboxes than the Sport 1100 and Daytona Rs.
I think the first two gears are lower,Third gear is the same,fourth and fifth are also lower.
So final gearing is shorter even though they share the same bevel gears of 7-33.
Expensive bevel gear replacement or gearbox replacement?

As for the Centauro conversion to Daytonaish seating mod,well thats totally up to you how you approach it.
I had a clear plan to use a Sport/Daytona tank with either models front fairing.
I decided a Honda Sp1 seat and cowl i already had suited the look i was after.
So i fabricted a light ss subframe to suit the honda cowl and incorporated a battery tray under the seat.
Also fabricated a light titanium front fairing bracket.
Original sport/daytona parts would bolt straight on,but at what cost?

So my advice would be to come up with a clear plan of what you want to achieve,what you are capable of doing yourself and your budget.
Using the Centauro tank with a sport type seat would definately look interesting,but i cant picture it working.
I think the tanks too long and low to line up with a higher and more forward riding position.
I could be wrong?

Pitfalls,
Just about everything i did had a pitfall,or hurdle to overcome before i got it right.
I am very happy with my Centona,but it was a labour of love which consumed many hours of thought and toil to get it right.

Goodluck with your decisions

P.S I would also love taller gearing.

So I order up a set of BT 45s, stick them in the corner, and then I find this! Good stuff. It will take a while to wear them down, but like you say "23 years", I'm only at 10 years of ownership. I'll save this for next year.

Hey Shrek, sorry it's been so long for this ride report regarding my summer ride on Avon Storm radials for my CalVin. I put a total of 4003 mi. going from southwest Oregon to Deadwood, North Dakota, then spending 5 days doing day rides from there then back to Oregon, 90% on back roads. The sizes where a 110/80/18 up front with a 150/70/17 rear. The ride felt more compliant (softer, if that makes sense) and road holding for a more confident ride. The tires have a 15000 mi. warranty but the rear tire wont make that, maybe 8000. The front looks great, 12000? Anyway , thanks for the recommendation to try radials, I feel it really paid off.....Mike

So I order up a set of BT 45s, stick them in the corner, and then I find this! Good stuff. It will take a while to wear them down, but like you say "23 years", I'm only at 10 years of ownership. I'll save this for next year.

Bummer.
Not sure i could wait knowing what i know now.
But atleast you have something to look forward to.
Personally,i would leave them in the corner :)

Last edited:
Hey Shrek, sorry it's been so long for this ride report regarding my summer ride on Avon Storm radials for my CalVin. I put a total of 4003 mi. going from southwest Oregon to Deadwood, North Dakota, then spending 5 days doing day rides from there then back to Oregon, 90% on back roads. The sizes where a 110/80/18 up front with a 150/70/17 rear. The ride felt more compliant (softer, if that makes sense) and road holding for a more confident ride. The tires have a 15000 mi. warranty but the rear tire wont make that, maybe 8000. The front looks great, 12000? Anyway , thanks for the recommendation to try radials, I feel it really paid off.....Mike

G,day Mike,
So glad to hear you also had a pleasant experience with radials.
It amazes me how you guys get such high mileage over there.
Do they hand polish every piece of gravel for your roads?

Yes,i do understand what you mean by feeling more compliant.I could also add,more secure,stable,grippy,lighter,more neutral etc

I got between 7-8000 km,s out of my rear(forgot to write it down)140-80-17 battle wing on the Cali.Much more than any cross ply.
I have just fitted a 150-70-17 Pirelli Scorpian Trail 11 and it feels even better than the Bridgestone,which was good.
The front Pirelli Angel has about 3000 k,s on it and has worn about 1mm at the lowest part of the tread.Looks near new.

Happy to share my experience and great to hear some positive feedback with another brand.
So,are you a loyal Radial convert now?
I wont use another cross ply!

Shrek.

G'day Shrek,
When I crushed the South Island last year On the 1100 Sport I wore out the front.
The guy at the bike shop wasn't impressed to do a tire on a Saturday, but said you're not leaving on that without a decent tire. He was an older guy who did track days so I didn't question his know how.
Well I was just browsing & re- read your blog on tires
That front tire is a Continental Road Attack2 120/70 x17 which has just being paired with a new Battleaxe T30 160/60 rear.
Had a ride with Italian m/c club a w/e ago - 205 odd miles - some of it at pace on some very twisty roads - & bloody hell did the Ol girl handle!!!!!
It was incredible compared to previous sorties in any twisties.
Mind you I have dropped her 20mm on the forks, but NO countersteerring was required as previous, & as you say, trail braking did not make her stand up.
Take a bow mate, your right on the money!

I went with a Metzeler Tourance dual(!) sport rear coupled with an me880 marathon bias ply front on my '04 EV Touring. Lots better than the me33/99 combo that's kind of standard. Not up to the Michelin PR2s on my v11 lemans but a big improvement. Think I'll go with a tourance front if the 880 wears out before I do.

It seems we have plenty of these so called dual sport radials for 17 inch rears to choose from.
Any brands rear radial will improve your handleing and stability.Good to hear some people are trying them.
A radial front really improves the steering and gives you that feeling of confidence into a corner or under brakes.
Dont be afraid to use different brands on the front and rear.As long as they are both radials,the bike will feel great.
Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
I know this thread is nearly 4 years old, honestly hard to believe.
I've still got the Demons fitted, but in my defence the bike's been off the road for a full year in the mean time.
This winter I'm fitting Conti's to the bike. Going with a Road Attack 2 100/90-18 on the front. The intention was to use a Classic Attack 110/90-18 on the back but Conti emailed me saying they recommend a 120/90-18 on the back; I'm awaiting a reply from them after asking why.
I've also fitted Showa cartridges from a Honda RC36 to the Guzzi forks and re oiled the Konis and fitted softer springs to them, so expecting good things after the Contis go on.
Shrek, if you're still around, what exhaust is that fitted to your Guzzi?

Back