• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Convert charging problems

profwacko

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
The PO had a lithium ion battery installed, along with an aftermarket rectifier/regulator device, and what looks like a new stator assembly. I'm not sure if they replaced the rotor.

The installers did not bother to connect the charging indicator light for some reason known only to them.

Now, I have the bike back (the PO bought it from me) and it is not charging.

The pictures below show how it is all hooked up. It looks to be connected as you might expect, with the 3 yellow wires going to the 3 yellow wires, the red (from the battery positive) to red, the green to black (battery negative), and finally the orange to the brown from the alternator. I'm going to make the grand assumption that the blue wire from the device is the charging indicator, as it was connected to the blue wire from the dash. The connections I found there may be the subject of another thread.

Does anybody have any information on what this device is and whether the connections are correct?

And does anyone know for sure that this device is compatible with a Bosch alternator and a LI battery?

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack (powerless in central Texas)
Model nbr Connectors Device 6 pin Guzzi 6 pin

That looks like a regulator/rectifier. I searched for the number on back and got nothing. On the original wiring light blue wire goes to charge indicator bulb from rectifier and has to be connected for the charge. Is the rest stock Bosch stator & rotor?
It sounds like you know how it all supposed to go together. You could call the shop that did the repairs and inquire on the RR. You may need to ground the RR case.

Thanks for the input, Steve.

Yes, the stator and rotor are stock Bosch.

Do you have any idea what the blue wire from the alternator should go to? They have is disconnected on both ends. The Convert wiring diagram shows that it comes from the center of the alternator and goes to a terminal on the stock diode board.

I'm pretty sure that the reason it is not working is because they had the blue wire from the rec/regulator connected to the oil pressure bulb! As I type this, I remember that I had replaced all of the indicator bulbs with LED ones, EXCEPT the charging indicator, because it wouldn't charge without a regular filament bulb in that location.

I'm going try wiring up the charging indicator light correctly using the blue wire from the rec/regulator and see what happens.

Thanks for helping me think this through.

I hope I don't let any of the smoke out of anything expensive. >8]

-Jack (hopefully smokeless in central Texas)

The PO had a lithium ion battery installed, along with an aftermarket rectifier/regulator device, and what looks like a new stator assembly. I'm not sure if they replaced the rotor.

The installers did not bother to connect the charging indicator light for some reason known only to them.

Now, I have the bike back (the PO bought it from me) and it is not charging.

The pictures below show how it is all hooked up. It looks to be connected as you might expect, with the 3 yellow wires going to the 3 yellow wires, the red (from the battery positive) to red, the green to black (battery negative), and finally the orange to the brown from the alternator. I'm going to make the grand assumption that the blue wire from the device is the charging indicator, as it was connected to the blue wire from the dash. The connections I found there may be the subject of another thread.

Does anybody have any information on what this device is and whether the connections are correct?

And does anyone know for sure that this device is compatible with a Bosch alternator and a LI battery?

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack (powerless in central Texas)
View attachment 17073 View attachment 17074 View attachment 17075 View attachment 17076
I too have a charging problem on a convert and I was told by the guy that built my harness that the charge lite wire has to be connected for the bike to charge. just sayin.

I too have a charging problem on a convert and I was told by the guy that built my harness that the charge lite wire has to be connected for the bike to charge. just sayin.
That is true. The light either needs to be connected or a resistor wired in. Greg Bender sells a "bootstrap harness" and I have one fitted to my Convert, allowing me to run an LED bulb in place of the incandescent. All of the lighting is LED on my Convert, in my opinion it's the best thing one can do, short of going to a higher output alternator.

Back