Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

converting v7iii racer

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by glenn mason, Jul 27, 2020.

1. glenn mason

glenn mason Just got it firing!

I am looking at a V7iii racer which is for sale and am wondering any problems with switching out handle bars, tires, exaust, etc. My main concern would be the handling characteristics after any changes.

Any advice or ideas? Thanks.

2. PokeyGuzzi

PokeyGuzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

That’s a rather broad question. I don’t see why these types of mods would cause any issues that they wouldn’t cause on any other bike. To what extent the effects of the changes are felt defends entirely on which changes and how drastic.

edit to add: Specific to the things you mention (handlebars, tires, exhaust), all three have been heavily discussed on this forum. If you search around you’ll find suggestions. Shortly after that you’ll have a big dent in your bank account. :)

3. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

You can convert a V7 Racer to a normal V7, or vice versa. The handling will be what it would be if you bought the desired version in the first place. They are the same bike. There are likely limits on how far you can go with that, but mainly limits based on things like cable lengths.
    But you can take a V7 Racer and fit the seat, footpegs, handlebars, etc, from the standard V7 and it should handle fine, just like a normal V7, when you are done. You can also fit other parts, from other sources. The results may be just as good, or not, depending on how well the other parts work.
    Exhaust will not effect handling, but it will make it sound better. Tires should be kept at least close to the original sizes, fitting noticeably different size tires can have an effect on handling, usually for the worse. I am pretty sure there are a few threads on here about tires for the V7 Racer.

4. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

Hi,

I imagine bars and tires would be the pieces you might feel to most change from.
    Lower narrower bars would ( I imagine) feel different, you are changing the basic geometry.
    Going to narrower / wider bars would change the leverage you apply to the turn.

In one of the other threads on the same subject they mentioned the clutch cable would be the only thing to change when swapping the bars.

Tires would make the bigger difference depending on how you use the bike.
    If you drive like Grandma on smoth paved roads you might not notice anything different.
    If you stray onto gravel once in a while you would notice a HUGE difference depending on the tires you choose.
    if you lean into the corners aggressively, the big knobby tires on my XR wouldn’t inspire much confidence;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  5. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

All of the V7iii models are the same base bike, each dressed up in different rags.

Louisv97 likes this.
  6. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

RAGS !!!! :heartbreak: