Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Corbin seat owners, please reassure me!

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Sleekmachine, Aug 16, 2015.

1. not-fishing

not-fishing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Those of us fortunate enough to live within a days ride of Hollister know to make a "custom fitting". Will it make my butt look big is the real question.

2. Touringman

Touringman Cruisin' Guzzisti

Could be.... Make me an offer.
    Kirk

3. Smartleynz

Smartleynz Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for that, did you take the whole cover off before you started? certainly would be good to get a bit further back. Thanks

4. omega1

omega1 Just got it firing!

mmmm... I may have misunderstood you. You mention the 'upstand' which I took to being the removable backrest, specifically the Standard Backrest part number 297-SB, ie. the full backrest not the donut shaped ovalback backrest. On the Standard Backrest removing the rear plastic cover will show the leather cover is fixed by way of five rivets, three at the top and two at the bottom. I removed the bottom two rivets and peeled the leather cover up and over revealing the foam.

If by the 'upstand' you mean the two inch step up from the rider seat to the passenger seat then modifying this step would require substantial modification both to the foam as well as to the leather cover itself. If this is what you need then rather get professional help.

5. Smartleynz

Smartleynz Tuned and Synch'ed

I need professional help as it is the upstaged at the back end of the riders seat that could go back an inch or so. Thanks

6. dennisj

dennisj Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I see this post has quieted down a bit lately, but I'll add my thoughts. I have the two tone (black and white) Corbin on my Touring. It is beautiful! It is hard when compared to the original Moto Guzzi stock seat. It is a saddle rather than a seat, and that is what I like most about it. When I'm riding I'm able to sit tight into the pocket of the saddle and this gives me some lumbar support which helps when the ride gets long, like a 400+ mile day. I'm 5' 10" tall with 32" inseam, with stock bullhorn handlebars and I fit just fine in this Corbin saddle. I would say that the full (double) touring seat does not raise the seat height at all over stock. It is however a bit wider, this is what makes it more comfortable. I don't feel that the ground is any more difficult to reach with this Corbin seat over the stock one.

As for Lake Corbin, I sprang the extra $80 for the waterproof cover and that works great, though you can't just pull it over the seat when you like, the seat must be removed first. This takes one minute, unless you have the backrest installed, then you must remove that, put the rain cover on and reinstall the backrest; a 10 minute job.

I bought the donut backrest for mine, and I very much like it, well worth the extra fee in my opinion. I do feel the backrest pressing into my back, this is a good thing, it is supportive. For me it is positioned just right. At first I thought it might be a bit too far forward too, but then I put a 1200-1500 mile trip in and realized it is positioned just perfectly for the necessary lumbar support that it provides.

I have about 2000 miles on my Corbin saddle and it does feel better now than when it was brand new, but it does not feel any softer. It still feels like a park bench after an hour or two. For this reason I bought an AirHawk cushion and, when I'm feeling beat up by the seat toward the end of a long day or when I'm out for a week or so I use that. It makes a world of difference.

James Chance likes this.
  7. Mr Pootle

Mr Pootle Cruisin' Guzzisti

Dennis, let's see a picture.

8. dennisj

dennisj Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Corbin Pictures attached. I also included a picture of the Moto Guzzi Handlebar accessory bag. It is nice because it fits the area perfectly, but it is pricey at $100. The quality seems adequate but I don't think it is water proof. It does function well, a nice zipper, it does not flap around and it is fairly quick and easy to install/remove. The only reason I put it here is that I never saw any other picture of this bag installed on one of these bikes, so I figured somebody else was wondering what it would look like...

Attached Files:

Uss and WroomWroom like this.
  9. Curt Russell

Curt Russell Tuned and Synch'ed

I rode up to the the Corbin factory in Hollister Ca. A few months ago and had them make a heated seat for me. I wanted two back rests and they told me they couldn't do the passenger. When I complained a little one of the guys looked at the mold and said actually he thought they could add a passenger rest to it. I said go for it and a few hours later I ended up with this. I know a little flashy buy hey I'm from California. It's hard but very comfortable. The backrest is positioned perfectly for me. I'm 6'1" they will probably use the knew mold for new orders so if anybody wants the passenger backrest it should now be available. IMG_1864.JPG

Uss likes this.
  10. Uss

Uss Tuned and Synch'ed

I think you are right Curt....I was on their website last week and trying to 'build my own' and sure enough there was an option for a passenger back rest too. I hope they can do one for an Eldo.....

11. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

In case anyone is interested, I tried the stock touring seat and prefer the shape over the Corbin. So the Corbin is being sold. Excellent condition black in color.

12. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

Pics? Price?

13. Uss

Uss Tuned and Synch'ed

It appears the passenger back rest is not available for the Cali, even if it is there on the 'build your own' page. Following your post I wrote to Corbin to get ordering information etc and after exchanges of several mails and my references to this post he told me that this was not available unless the bike was taken there for a custom fit!!!!! I did bring his attention to the fact that if the factory has done it once they should be able to do it again but he insisted that this is only possible if the bike was brought into the factory....I can't wrap my head around that one.....if you have contact details of the person who looked after you can you please send it to me in a PM so that I can get in touch with them....Thanks

14. Quattroa4m

Quattroa4m Tuned and Synch'ed

It sounds like who ever you're in communication with at Corbin just doesn't want to do it. Unfortunately, I have to sympathize. I've not found Corbin particularly easy to work with myself.

Perhaps being face to face with Mr. Russell reminded Corbin who it is that ultimately pays the bills.

Uss likes this.
  15. groundhog105

IMG_0592.JPG
    I'm asking $300.00 plus shipping.

16. Uss

Uss Tuned and Synch'ed

I agree with you completely. This was their customer service off their website....it took an exchange of more than 10 mails to convince the gent to atleast have a look at the photo and Curt's post. He was convinced this wasn't possible. I guess he just cost Corbin atleast one seat's business!

17. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

Do I see a silver color paint on the lower section of the gas tank covers? It looks like silver paint that continues the silver (or gray) color in the seat.

18. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

Thanks. I think you are right. I have not seen any pictures of the MG handlebar bag installed anywhere else.

19. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

20. groundhog105

Hi Jim
    I am no at home now and won't be back until the 16th of Dec. I will get more pictures to you then unless I can get my daughter to go to my house and take some for me.