• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Correct oil for my Norge

captshortfield

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have but 3K miles on my '07 Norge simply because I converted to my Guzzi from my BMW late in the riding season which abruptly ended here in the North East a few weeks ago. The owners manual indicates that Agip 4T full synthetic 10W60 "racing oil" is prefered but I am dubious about putting it in a low mileage engine. My dealer said that he used the standard BMW oil when he did the first service..........any thoughts?

Hello

The owners manual indicates that Agip 4T full synthetic 10W60 is what it came with...

Absolutely go with what Guzzi say's to put in it, However the Agip use to be rated SG it is not any more, the last case I got was rated SG when that is used up I will be using Motrex 4T 10w60 as it is still rated SG which is very important with a Guzzi flat tappet motor. Do a search on SG rated oil and you will find all the information that has me still using an SG rated oil.

I don't scimp on the life blood of any of my motor's

I wasn't interested in putting Diesel oil my Guzzi. My question was regarding the recommended use of full synthetic oil in an almost new engine......So now we have a thread on very expensive 4T oil for a very expensive new engine. I found out that the 4T is in every new Norge right off the line and that it was critical to the longevity of the valve train. Now that's important information. Thanks for the heads up on that Guys, I will be sure to inform my Guzzi dealer that should cease using the semi-synthetic BMW oil in all the Guzzis that he sells and services. :blush:

the original oil used in the guzzi Norge is synthetic, so don't worry about using synthetic oil. I know that it used to be to run a motor on earth based oil for about 5000 miles or so and then switch over to synthetic. Not the case with the Norge. I run 10w60 racing synthetic in mine and have 16000 miles on it and it doesn't burn any oil. I find Agip hard to find so I use a swiss made oil that seems to work fine. To say the least it is not cheap oil.

come to think of it, the dealer pit in BMW oil in my Norge at the 600 mile check up. I immediately removed it and put in the 10w60 racing oil. Maybe we use the same dealer (AJ Cycle).

Penrite SIN 10 - outperforms according to their specs and Pete Roper all the oils listed, even recommended by Aus importer John Sample Group again according to PR - so that's enough recommendation for me :cheer:

Made right here in Australia :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: , so should be seriously cheap anywhere other than in NZ because our dollar exchange rate is down the drain with both EUR and USD.

AJ's it is........small world! I went down to buy another BMW, rode the one I wanted then saw the Norge.....of course I would have been remiss if I didn't try one out and so I did.......love at first ride. Alan got a kick out of my purchase because I have been preaching the virtues of BMW for the last 40 years (what he doesn't know is there was a Guzzi in my very distant past that I never forgot) I guess the next time I go in for service I will bring my own oil and see what Dave says. Rod Thompson, Keene NH

Oil? As any fule kno the only correct oil is Roper Ranches (TM) saponified Yak Fat. Anything else will cause your bike to melt into a pool of molten slag, usually in the middle of a desert and you'll end up drinking your own urine and dying a horrible death!!!!:laugh:

Pete

If 10-60W isn't easily available - what is a good substitute? 10-50W? 20-60W? 20-50W? Yak 80W?

Small world isn't it. I used to go to AJ's when he dealt in English bikes. I had and still have a 59 Triumph Trophy. Hadn't been to AJ's in years until I heard about the Norge and decided I wanted one. The rest is history.
A good substitute for 10w60 I would think is 20w50 Mobil 1. Can't imagine it would make that big a difference.
Noel Cassidy, Walpole, NH

captshortfield wrote:
I wasn't interested in putting Diesel oil my Guzzi. My question was regarding the recommended use of full synthetic oil in an almost new engine......So now we have a thread on very expensive 4T oil for a very expensive new engine. I found out that the 4T is in every new Norge right off the line and that it was critical to the longevity of the valve train. Now that's important information. Thanks for the heads up on that Guys, I will be sure to inform my Guzzi dealer that should cease using the semi-synthetic BMW oil in all the Guzzis that he sells and services. :blush:

Now if you bothered to read the thread I suggested, you will see that this thread came up with the same result. Penrite being recommended for those who can get it, and Mobile 1 15W50 for those of us in the US not wanting to mail order 10W60 oil.

Hi Gang

In the Uk Motul 7100 10w60 4T is available for £10 a litre.

It's 100% sythese specificaly for use on motorcycles with 4v heads:)

Loftyjohn

Ps I do hope my dealer is using the correct oil???:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BMW use standard mineral oil to aid the running in process, if you put sythetic in a Beamer it would never run in !
Motor Guzzi's on the other hand are Italian exotica, built with loveing care by Luigi.
They need a far supior oil th run sweet:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I did read the thread you suggested John and it didn't come close to answering the questions I had. This new thread on the other hand has a ton of good information in it and there are a lot of Guzzitechs involved in the discussion. Isn't that what this forum is about?:) As added information I have found a source right here in the good old USA for this specialized product. The company is called American AGIP and their web site is http://www.americanagip.com. They seem to be quite knowledgeable on this subject and offer a wide variety of specialized oils. They stock the AGIP 4T 10-60 SG rated oil and sell it for $122 for a case of 12 1L bottles. So you see, the more questions we ask, the more answers we get. Thanks for your interest:)

I'm asking myself why it's so important specific using Agip, and not any other quality oil meeting - or exceeding - the demands?

(Me, of course, would only go for Agip gas also. Not to mention the coffee....B) )

DSC00100-1.jpg

Holt,

Agree with you. I went to the Agip site in the US and to get the 10W60 oil with shipping is over $12.00 USD per quart. I think I'll be staying with Mobile 1 fully synthetic at half the cost, available everywhere.

I've seen Mobile 1 tested in an Army oil analysis unit. The properties are very impressive.

captshortfield wrote:
I did read the thread you suggested John and it didn't come close to answering the questions I had. This new thread on the other hand has a ton of good information in it and there are a lot of Guzzitechs involved in the discussion. Isn't that what this forum is about?:) As added information I have found a source right here in the good old USA for this specialized product. The company is called American AGIP and their web site is http://www.americanagip.com. They seem to be quite knowledgeable on this subject and offer a wide variety of specialized oils. They stock the AGIP 4T 10-60 SG rated oil and sell it for $122 for a case of 12 1L bottles. So you see, the more questions we ask, the more answers we get. Thanks for your interest:)

I used that Swiss stuff (with, as Kathi remarked when she saw it, its "somewhat disturbing spout" ;) ) when I changed the Norge's oil last month, but have used Agip in my other own oil changes. Not sure what MPH has put in it when they have had it.

I like Agip for the (admittedly stupid) reason that it's Italian.

But, I do wonder about the SG rating you mention. I just went on the AGIP website and could not find reference to that.

http://www.americanagip.com/index.php?m ... ducts_id=6

I may be missing it; can you you point to that?

Thanks.

Bill

Good catch Bill, turn your back for a second and POOF! everything goes to Hell! I looked at the web site and you are right, they show only SJ. However, the label on the case I received two weeks ago indicate that they are SG rated. Come to think of it, isn't SJ a "higher" rating than SG? Anybody know??

Back