• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Correct oil for my Norge

For those of you wondering Penrite SIN 10 is available in both the UK, Europe and the USA

Distributor lists at This Link Here. Our little economy needs all the help it can get at the moment, so please good gentlemen buy our products so we can afford to buy more toys next year. Christmas is going to be a vegemite sandwich and a glass of water - so have pity on us and buy our products, oh and BTW maybe your engine will also thank you for it.

Thos whole story has been gone over about a bazillion times at many different sites. SJ is later than SG, but clearly better only for cataytic converters, clearly worse for motors like our Guzzis that need the zinc additives greatly reduced from SJ+G to SJU. I care a whle lot more about my Norge's top end life than I do about the catcon. MG used to specify AGIP, more recently they specify SG. AGIP used to be clearly SG, not to clearly so no if you look at the various web sites. Also supposedly it is legal to list any earlier rating (like SG) if the oil in question meets a later (like SJ) standard, even though that it seemingly contradictory for our purposes cause of the zinc business, & consequences thereof. Motorex, mentioned by NeroGuzzi & referred to by Bill Hagen (it's the Swiss stuff with the "mildly disturbing spout"-buy it & you'll see what he means-:lol:) seems to be clearly & specifically SG. It's what I'm using. Greg Field at MI has done a whole lot of research (including engine tear downs, some rather disturbing), I'm with him on this (about picking SG over SJ).

Mike.C wrote:
For those of you wondering Penrite SIN 10 is available in both the UK, Europe and the USA

Distributor lists at This Link Here. Our little economy needs all the help it can get at the moment, so please good gentlemen buy our products so we can afford to buy more toys next year. Christmas is going to be a vegemite sandwich and a glass of water - so have pity on us and buy our products, oh and BTW maybe your engine will also thank you for it.

Yeah.

I found the picture on the Swedish General Agent HQ and complete staff:

framsida.jpg

:)

Holt

Mate doesn't matter what the agent looks like - they don't have to have a fancy shop or make the stuff, I'm sure they will gladly take your money ;)

Probably love to.

Tho' not worried about labels I usually goes for what I can get off the shelf; just keeping quality high. :)

Welcome to the other end of the supply chain - we have to deal with the good stuff being a "special" order all the time, being at the far reaches of the Empire and all :eek:hmy:

I am sure that they will order it for you, in fact even when I bought it last week at the local penrite agent here in Qld it was a special order. Thing is though that the in mold decoration of the drum is some of the most impressive that I have seen and it's worth it just to have it in the shed as it makes the shed look like a place of expertise.........

Brian UK wrote:
I think Penrite cover the zinc issue on this page quite well.
http://www.penriteoil.com/uk/nextpage.p ... ine%20Oils

This may or may not be correct, actually backs up the contention of insufficient zinc in some oils, & in any case gives specific info only for this particular brand, which may well be fine, but is either very hard or impossible to find in the correct (10-60) weight on most of the planet. Greg Field on other threads here or elsewhere has actually done the work to find the actual zinc level in some of these oils (Mobil 1 is kinda low per my admitedley imperfect memory), & has actually seen the innards on some of the motors in question, in some cases not very pretty. Penrite 10-70 or 10-50 may well be wonderful & perfectly suitable, but as a non-Aussie my first duty is to my Norge, not to the Aussie economy, & I'll stick with SG rated 10-60 Motorex or something similar that's the correct weight & rating & fairly easy to get.

Oil is one of the more personal items anybody uses on their bikes. Everybody has a favorite and I will not argue with anyone’s logic on this as there is no winner and both can be right.
When I purchased my Norge at Speaker’s Cycle I asked Jason about the odd 10W-60 recommendation on the oil. He said many people run 20W-50 with no problems. That was all I needed to know as I like Amsoil Synthetics. I currently only have 5,000 miles on my Norge but it seems to be no problem as I changed it at the 600 mile check and again the other day. There is a lot of information that can be gleaned from a report they did on various motorcycle oils. It is called “A Study Of Motorcycle Oils”:
https://www.amsoil.com/products/streetb ... Paper.aspx
Yes, it was done by Amsoil so I am sure it is slanted towards them but there is some rather interesting and disturbing info there. Such as Harley dino oil does better than their synthetic. I have been running Amsoil oils in various vehicles exclusively since the early 80’s with no problems.
The info on Amsoil 20W-50 is here: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx
B) Disclaimer: Yes, I am an Amsoil dealer but only because that makes it easy for me to buy it. I have several friends with Harleys that are glad I bought the Guzzi because now I keep a case or more of the 20W-50 in my garage so they can stop over and buy it. Used to be I only kept the 10W-40 for my Hondas.

Rudy

I'm beginning to feel sorry that I originally asked this question. Unless any of us happen to be able to live forever, its likely that our Guzzis will outlive us all no matter what good oil we use. I guess I was just getting too technical. I haven't lost an engine in the 500K + miles I have logged in my lifetime of riding & racing and I don't expect that any good oil will allow my Guzzi to be the very first motor I send to the bone yard. Thanks for ALL the input and information........its been a hoot! :S

captshortfield wrote:
I'm beginning to feel sorry that I originally asked this question. Unless any of us happen to be able to live forever, its likely that our Guzzis will outlive us all no matter what good oil we use. I guess I was just getting too technical. I haven't lost an engine in the 500K + miles I have logged in my lifetime of riding & racing and I don't expect that any good oil will allow my Guzzi to be the very first motor I send to the bone yard. Thanks for ALL the input and information........its been a hoot! :S

That is why many of us (including Roper) dislike oil threads.

I just had the 1000km service on my Breva 1100 and saw on the invoice when I returned home that the dealer had used Motul 3000 20w-50. I queried this with John Sample Group, the importers for Guzzi down under, and received this reply:

Dear David,

Motul 3000 is fine for the first service.

At your next you will find that a 10W-60 or 15W-50 synthetic oil will be used.

Kind Regards

Daniel Griffiths
Technical Support
Aprilia & Moto Guzzi
dgriffiths@jsg.com.au
02) 9914 8739

Mackers wrote:
I just had the 1000km service on my Breva 1100 and saw on the invoice when I returned home that the dealer had used Motul 3000 20w-50. I queried this with John Sample Group, the importers for Guzzi down under, and received this reply:

Dear David,

Motul 3000 is fine for the first service.

At your next you will find that a 10W-60 or 15W-50 synthetic oil will be used.

Kind Regards

Daniel Griffiths
Technical Support
Aprilia & Moto Guzzi
dgriffiths@jsg.com.au
02) 9914 8739

I sit here like a stunned mullet after reading that.

You asked the Oz Guzzi importer a question? By e/m? And got an answer? Apparently promptly? And the answer was responsive, not automated gibberish? :blink:

That is amazing. I am not being facetious.

Good for Mr. Griffiths.

Interesting answer, too, btw.

Bill

Young Daniel's OK. Biggest issue I have with JSG is actually getting hold of someone on the phone. Quite often I get sent to voicemail which can be a bit trying but Daniel, Ken and Ben, who are the triumvirate of blockheads I have to deal with are all helpful and personable. I do tend to think I know a bit more about Guzzis than they do on the whole but they are willing to listen and if they don't agree with me we can discuss it cordially, in fact the very fact that I CAN discuss it with them seems to be something that is completely different for me to the experience of most of the dealers and agents for Guzzi in the USA, (Shrug?)

On the whole I think the biggest problem they have is the 'Big Corporate Showroom' mindset and while there may, eventually, be Big Guzzi Dealerships i tend to think that day is still a long way off.

Compared to some of the other recent importers they are a thoroughgoing Joy to deal with and I can usually get warranty parts quickly and efficiently.

Pete

My Norge has 16000 miles on it and I have always used the finest Olive oil I can find. I thought being Italian, it should use olive oil. The only draw back is when I ride by it smalls llke an olive grove. I thought of maybe adding some garlic so the smell is like a true Italian kitchen.

Back